Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Transfer ebooks between different kindle accounts?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 28, 2012 9:11:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 9:13:12 AM PST
I want to transfer ebooks from my son's kndle account to my new account; is this possible and if so how is it done...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:14:31 AM PST
John, Kindle books can't be transferred from one account to another. You may want to consider registering your Kindle to his account, if you want to share books.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:14:31 AM PST
No. DRM (Digital Rights Management) on the books prevents the books opening on a device that is not on the same Amazon account.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:14:43 AM PST
You can't. You'd have to be able to access his account.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 9:18:40 AM PST
Actually, DRM prevents the books from being opened on a different device, not just a different account.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:19:02 AM PST
Thanks- I'll look into registering the accounts...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:20:50 AM PST
Thanks, Susan

That's true, but the OP was talking transferring between accounts, so I left it at that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:25:49 AM PST
Meya, I wrongly created a 2nd account under my email and with a different password. Kindle Support indicates that they cannot merge my accounts into one. Also, they indicate that I cannot purchase 5 kindle due to a quantity limitation. What should I do? I have 5 children and would like to have just one account with all kindles registered in it. Thanks! Jorge
Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:32:08 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
they can all be registered to the same account - that's just a purchase limit - there are accounts with 19 kindles registered to the same account

and you have an even bigger problem as Amazon will not ship the Paperwhite outside the US at this time

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:39:28 AM PST
Thanks. How is the purchase limit defined? I bought 2 Kindles yesterday. When would I be able to buy another 2? I have them shipped to an address in the US and bring them into my home country.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:43:50 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
ah, OK, then - I'd wait until the first two have shipped and try to add two more or your wife could buy them with her account and ship them to the same address (if you indicate that they will be a gift, they can then be registered to any account you want)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 10:29:20 AM PST
In the case of Kindles registered at my wrongly created new account, it is easy to deregister and register at original account? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 11:26:34 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
yes, just deregister it at your Manage Your Kindle - manage your devices page

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 11:36:21 AM PST
Jorge - I believe the quantity limitation is due to high demand and a shortage of Kindles. I suspect that the limitation will eventually be lifted.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 11:46:01 AM PST
Sheila (NJ) says:
it is very easy, but if you purchased stuff on your new account you can't transfer it to your old account. To de-register it just do into manage your kindle under your account and then choose manage your devices. There is a button that is labeled deregister. Then you can just register it to the old account.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Dec 28, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions