Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire vs iPad

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 61 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2012 6:47:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 7:05:18 AM PST
Lynne Lyttle says:
I know various comparisons have been discussed numerous times, but I don't recall seeing this specific question.

I know facebook is accessible on both the Kindle Fire and the iPad. I also know that on the original Kindle Fire, the facebook games like farmville and chefville could not be played on the Kindle Fire. With the updated version, can those games now be played on the Fire? I'm suddenly in a position to possibly buy one or the other, so I'm trying to figure out which one. I've wanted a Fire for a long time because of the $200 price point and there was no way I could afford $500 or more for an iPad. Now I may be able to get either one, so I'm debating whether I want to spend more and get the iPad or still stick with the Fire.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 6:59:33 AM PST
M42 says:
Not sure whether the games you mentioned can now be played on the Fire, but you should also consider the Nexus 7. It costs the same as the Fire and is a versatile device with a superb display.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 7:08:38 AM PST
B. Marks says:
But can the Nexus 7 play Farmville? I've heard that it can't be played on any tablets except a Windows tablet. I'm not sure that's correct information but I did read it, probably in this forum or the tablet forum, a few months ago. There was a lengthy discussion about how to play Facebook games.

Barry

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 7:14:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 7:15:44 AM PST
Lisa says:
ipad is superior but no free stuff if you like amazon prime. if you dont care about the free stuff, get an ipad mini or nexus 7 if you want small and low price. I feel both fire and ipad superior over all for web browsing and third party apps. Fire and nexus 7 have best screen resolution of the minis. Im going back and forth and Im sticking with my fire I like the free stuff, its a bit laggy on the web, but i can live with that because for what i use it for, it doesnt matter as i have an iphone and a laptop. if its your only device, get a full ipad or wait for the 8.9 fire if you want to use amazon services. its supposed to have a faster processor than the current 7.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 7:14:34 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 11, 2012 7:25:22 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 7:20:36 AM PST
B. Marks says:
I have an Ipad and I have a Kindle Fire HD (and several other tablets as well) and I can't agree that the Ipad is superior to the Fire HD. They're very different devices that do different things well. It just depends on what you want.

They're both excellent at doing the things they do. I think the choice should be based on what is wanted from the device and not some sort of popular conception of "better".

I'm pretty fond of my Ipad but I use my Fire HD probably 3 times as often.

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 7:27:44 AM PST
Lisa says:
i guess that was the point i was trying to make. It depends on what you're looking for.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 7:28:40 AM PST
CLS10 says:
"ipad is superior but no free stuff if you like amazon prime"

This isn't 100% true. With prime, one gets free 2 day shipping, access to free streaming through AIV , and the KOLL. iPad owners would have access to the first two, but not the latter.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 7:39:17 AM PST
Sarida says:
Actually, you can get the Amazon Instant Video app on the iPad now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 7:42:08 AM PST
Mike says:
There is an Amazon instant video app for the iPad; I'd think that one could play Prime videos on the iPad that way.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 7:55:36 AM PST
Sarida says:
1. Do you have a smartphone? Apple? Android? Windows?

2. Do you want the smaller unit (7" or 7.85 for the iPad mini?) How portable do you want it? OR do you want the 10" (8.9 for Amazon)? which is better for movies, television, or photos.

3. Will you be taking pictures and videos?

4. With the Apple device, you are tethered to iTunes/iCloud. With the Amazon device you are tethered to Amazon Android and Amazon Cloud. Do you have a preference? Amazon has far superior customer service. On the other hand, I've never had to use the Apple service.

Don't listen to the people who tell you that the Nexus or other Android tablets are a better buy. They may be, but there are other things to consider. Just yesterday I looked at the Nexus 7" and the Fire HD side-by-side and I will start laughing at people who say the Nexus has a better display. The Fire HD is fantastic and I'm an iPad 3 owner.

IMHO, you have two choices

1. The 7" HD Fire or the 7.85" iPad mini
2. The 10" iPad or the 8.9 HD Fire.

Now....do you want to add cellular service? If so, then the 7" HD Fire is out. It doesn't have it. The $499 8.9" Fire does. Both the mini iPad and the iPads 2, 3, and 4, can give you cellular service, but the Fire is AT&T only. The iPad can do Verizon and AT&T.

There is one more option to consider. You can buy a refurbished iPad for considerably less with the same warranty as a new one. There is a 3 right now for $379. So consider that option.

Amazon occasionally offers refurb specials, too. You just have to be diligent about looking.

I have the iPad 3 and have never ever regretted it. But many, many people prefer the smaller tablets, and that is great, too. People love their Fires and it is nice to have that option.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 8:01:17 AM PST
CLS10 says:
Yes they can, which is why I said in my post that iPad owners have access to prime streaming.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 8:49:46 AM PST
Rivergirl says:
I have the first generation iPad and have been considering a Kindle fire. But with all the negativity about the Fire Hd performance, not sure. I really love my iPad but wanted something smaller to play games and watch movies. Not interested in the mini iPad.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:13:23 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
Rivergirl,

If you read the reviews of the KFHD you'll find that the bulk of negative reviews fall into several categories: (a) those who don't own one and feel obligated to "defend" rival products; (b) those who acquire the KFHD by purchasing it outside the US and then find that it cannot be easily used in their location; (c) those who cannot find the user manual for the device under the "Help and Feedback" section of their settings; those with fairly obvious wifi problems, 90%+ of which can be resolved by rebooting or replacing their routers.

I have an iPad 2 and like it very much. Neither the iPad 3 nor its recently announced successor is sufficiently improved to tempt me. I've had both the first generation KF and the KFHD. Apart from my "real" computers it is the device I use the most; more than the iPad and more than my high end Android smartphone. I've held onto my first gen KF mainly to answer questions about its operation on these forums but the second generation device is what I turn to for virtually all media consumption (movies, books, radio, music), especially when I leave home. Its performance is extraordinarily good.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:51:43 AM PST
B. Marks says:
What negativity about the Kindle Fire HD? I have an Ipad 2 and a Kindle Fire HD and I wouldn't say either is better than the other. They're both very different. And both excellent.

I probably use the Fire HD 2 or 3 times as much as I use the Ipad. If I had to give one up it wouldn't be the Fire. But I'm glad I don't have to give one up. :)

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:04:39 AM PST
Paxton says:
I have an iPad3 and a 32G Kindle Fire HD. Both are excellent, but as with Barryem, I find that I use the Fire a good deal more. The iPad is great, but it's heavy and not very portable - I usually have the Fire wherever I go. The mini might improve things with its portability, but as I use a device for watching movies a lot, the mini's square shape, poorer resolution and high price would put that off the choice-list for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:42:09 AM PST
Rivergirl says:
Thanks for the replies. The negative comments were regarding a ' popping' sound that wouldn't go away. Crashing sites. I am going to push the buy button.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 12:28:31 PM PST
Lynne Lyttle says:
LOL My head is spinning! Currently, I use my laptop for work (I work from home) and also for the internet, facebook, and my facebook games. I was looking for an alternative to having to keep taking my laptop from my office to downstairs or when I travel in order to keep up with things on the internet (i.e., facebook) and to play my facebook games. The one I mostly play right now is Chefville. Of course, if I get the Kindle Fire, I can carry only that when I travel and if I get the iPad, then I have to take the iPad AND my Kindle for reading when I travel. Guess I'll keep thinking on it. Thank you, everyone, for your input!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 12:33:12 PM PST
R. D. Clark says:
Lynne, I don't understand; if you're willing to read your Kindle books on a Kindle Fire, why wouldn't you be willing to read them on an iPad?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 12:46:22 PM PST
Lynne Lyttle says:
Hmmmm, didn't think about it, to tell you the truth. Okay, so that's one less thing I have to consider. LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:05:55 PM PST
Mets Fan says:
The problem with the I-Pad I'm having is that you can't take it to the pool to read. Is there any thing that would recommend the I-Pad over the Fire? Thinking of waiting for the larger Fire. How do they compare for e-mail and camera?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:09:00 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Here is another reason to go with an iPad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcIwXVKQjsQ. That would be the only way I would use it. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:18:34 PM PST
Sarida says:
Both the Fire and the iPad are backlit devices so neither would be ideal for reading outside.

Try this chart: http://www.komando.com/charts/tablets.asp

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:42:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 1:43:48 PM PST
R. D. Clark says:
Mets Fan, for outdoor reading, no tablet is going to be pleasant. That's why you find so many tablet owners, including iPad owners, also have e-ink readers. A lightweight, glare-free Kindle Basic, Keyboard, or PaperWhite with its prodigious battery life is the ideal companion for recreational reading.

As for iPad vs Fire, the newer iPads have much more advanced photographic capabilities than any Fire, but nothing like a real camera, which will also annoy the people around you a lot less than taking pictures with a tablet. For email, the IT department where I work is impressed with the iPad's ability to work with enterprise networks and multiple e-mail accounts, but you may not need such capability. The iPad's virtual keyboard is, IMO, the best in the business.

All this comes at a price, of course.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:19:56 PM PST
B. Marks says:
The thread about the popping sound was a problem that one person was having. Whenever you buy complex electronic devices like computers and tablets you have a small chance of getting one with a defect and that poster seems to have gotten one. This isn't a general problem with Fire HD's.

Something to be aware of in forums like this is that people are either here because they enjoy forums and these devices, or because they have a question, or because they have a problem. Most threads are simply questions followed by answers and discussions but the rest are usually people who have problem devices and want suggestions on what to do about them.

That's true of every forum. It's true here and it's true of Asus forums and Nook forums and car forums, etc. These forums attract people with problems and that's a good thing but I guess sometimes it can be a bit scary to someone new to a forum.

The Kindle Fire HD is a very well made and solid and trouble free device the vast majority of times. But sometimes there's a bad one.

Barry
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  61
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions