Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Download TV shows without streaming?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 8, 2013 9:13:25 AM PST
Bill Hansen says:
I have the 250MB monthly AT&T data plan for my new KFHD. I correct that I can't download movies or TV shows unless we have at least a 3 GB monthly data plan with AT&T?

The reason I'm asking - I purchased an episode of Downton Abbey and tried to download it, but I immediately got the message that I was streaming it. Tried a second time, got the same "streaming" message, plus a second message that I can't download without changing my streaming settings. Checked my AT&T data useage, and found that in the few seconds I was "streaming", data useage jumped from 11% to 70% for the month.

Obviously, if there is a way to download cost-free or low cost TV shows without moving up to a 3 GB or 5 GB monthly data plan, I'd like to know how to do that. I did check the Help files but didn't see this problem addressed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 9:23:17 AM PST
The only way around the issue is to use WiFi. Any download over 50mb isn't going to work on the 250mb plan.

Downloads over 50MB from Appstore, Amazon MP3, Amazon Instant Video (AIV), Audible, or the Kindle Store require a Wi-Fi connection to complete.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 9:23:46 AM PST
Bill - For videos, you really need to be connected to wi-fi. The 4G is designed to be used for downloading books, checking email and some very light web surfing.

Video files are generally very large. A standard definition movie is about 600 MB and an HD movie is about 2 GB.

None of the videos are free except Prime Instant Videos and they all are steaming only. You can't download them.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 9:24:16 AM PST
kmd57 says:
Get DroidTV app in Amazon appstore for $8.99 for a three-month subscription. You DVR you favorite shows and they are automatically downloaded, not streamed, to your device. Remove them and download again when you need room on your Fire. The video is HD, and most network programs along with lots of cable and pay shows are included.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 9:33:45 AM PST
R. D. Clark says:
Bill, to clarify even further -- downloading and streaming both consume the same amount of data. The only difference is that streaming happens in real time, whereas downloading stores the file on your device for later use. You still have to transfer the data, using up your monthly allotment.

Video files are immense. Transferring them is only practical when you are connected to the Internet in a way that doesn't cost you by the megabyte. That means wifi through a broadband Internet connection.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 9:52:49 AM PST
Dawn says:
DroidTv is no longer available in the app store - you would have to get it elsewhere.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 9:57:41 AM PST
Bill Hansen says:
Thanks everyone who replied - I do a lot of video myself, so I know the file sizes well. I was just surprised that even after purchasing the video of a TV show, with my WiFi on, I couldn't download it. It even appeared to download, but it's not anywhere on the KF. Unlike other (personal and YouTube) videos, it doesn't show up in the Personal Video Player. Downloaded and installed Mobo player, and that doesn't find it either.

So - I guess the answer is that the KFHD does not download videos, even by WiFi (which should not involve use of the data plan), and even after we pay for them? I'm surprised that there haven't been tons of complaints about that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:54:00 AM PST
King Al says:
If your HD is not downloading videos even with wi-fi, you have a different problem. Have you tried rebooting your Fire and your router?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:55:45 AM PST
Bill, in your first post, you were asking about using 3/4G. Are you using that, or WiFi? They aren't the same thing.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 10:59:54 AM PST
No, you can certainly download Amazon purchased video to your KFHD. I have done it several times with no issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 11:04:29 AM PST
Bill - Amazon Instant Videos are on your Videos tab, not in the Personal Videos app. Go to Videos > Library > TV or Movies to find it.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 12:27:37 PM PST
Bill Hansen says:
Thanks again to everyone who replied. I'll try to answer the last few replies with this one post:

King Al - Did a hard reset of the KFHD - same result. The logo or cover image (don't know the correct term) for the video appears in Videos, but it's only a link back to the place where the video was purchased.

Meya - It must appear that I wouldn't know the difference between WiFi and a data plan. I understand that - but although I'm pretty confused right now, I am not unintelligent. The reason I asked about 3G/4G is that when I tried to download, with WiFi on, I immediately got the message that I was streaming, and then a message that I couldn't download. As I noted, I really was streaming, because my data plan was rapidly consumed.

Laura - Thanks for the reassurance. I'm going to phone CS and see if they can spot what I'm doing incorrectly.

Pineapple - Again, I apologize for my lack of clarity. The "downloaded" video episode is not anywhere in the Videos or YV folders, either those which refer to the Device or those which refer to the Cloud. The reason I looked in the Personal Video Player and in Mobo player is that I discovered earlier that videos I downloaded from You Tube didn't show up anywhere in Videos or Movies. They're only visible and playable in Personal Video Player or Mobo Player.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 12:42:13 PM PST
Cassie Anne says:
Can you disable access over 3G/4G without disabling wi-fi access? I can turn off cellular (3G/4G) access on my iPad, but still connect over wi-fi. I don't have a Fire, but you may be able to do the same thing.

If you're using your 3G/4G data allotment to transfer data (streaming, downloading, surfing the net, whatever), you're not connecting over wi-fi for one reason or another.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 12:45:56 PM PST
Yes, you can.

To turn your 4G mobile network connection on or off:

- Swipe down from the top of the screen and tap More.
- Tap Wireless & Networks, and then tap Mobile Network.
- Next to Mobile Network, tap Off.

You can continue to use your Wi-Fi connection when this is turned off.

Note: Airplane Mode will turn off your 4G connection in addition to Wi-Fi.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 2:04:13 PM PST
Bill Hansen says:
Here's Bill Hansen, the OP, again - Still confused, but the problem seems to be solved. The answer is that, even though tapping on the image of the downloaded video appears to take me back to the video store, it does not do that. It sure looks exactly like the store, with all the episodes of the video which I did NOT download right there, apparently ready to play by streaming (I didn't test that though - want to preserve the remaining 30% of my data plan). But there are *checkmarks* just to the left of the play buttons of the episodes I downloaded. I can safely hit the play button of of those checked episodes, and they'll play from the KFHD without consuming more of the data plan. Thus, they really are on the device - it just doesn't look that way to me.

I know all the rest of you probably knew these things all along. One of my problems was that I was expecting something like a real Play button to appear on the graphic of the downloaded episodes, as would occur on my desktop or laptop computers. Having burned through the majority of my data plan with the accidental streaming of one episode, I didn't expect pressing the play buttons next to the checked episodes would work.

Once again, the Fire works, and I'm pleased with it. It just works differently than I'm used to, and I can get used to that. Thanks to all of you who replied.

Bill

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 5:28:56 AM PST
kmd57 says:
Thanks,
I'll stop recommending it to people. I bought it last fall and have it on my First Gen Fire and my HD. I did not know it is now unavailable.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions