Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Announcing Kindle for Windows 8

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 132 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 25, 2012 9:37:07 AM PDT
Amazon today introduced a new Kindle app tailored for Windows 8. Customers around the world can now download this free app and enjoy Amazon's selection of over 1.5 million books at the best prices, including over 200,000 exclusive titles. You can learn more about Kindle for Windows 8 at http://www.amazon.com/kindleforwindows8 and can download the free app from the Windows Store.

Like all Kindle apps, Kindle for Windows 8 will let customers "Buy Once, Read Everywhere" - on any Kindle e-reader or Kindle Fire, as well as on iPad, iPod touch, iPhone, PC, Mac, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, Android phones and tablets, and in their modern web browser with Kindle Cloud Reader.

The new Kindle app features :
* Whispersync technology which automatically syncs a customer's last page read, bookmarks, notes, and highlights across all of their Kindles and Kindle apps.
* Using the new features of Windows 8, you can pin your books to the Start screen for instant access to your favorite titles and search your library and Kindle store with the Search charm.
* Share your favorite passages and recommend books to friends with the Share charm.

Learn more about the new Kindle app at http://www.amazon.com/kindleapps.

Have you installed Kindle for Windows 8? Let us know what you think below. If you have technical questions, head over to the Kindle Help Forum (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna/ref=kindle_help_forum_gd).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 10:58:22 AM PDT
Where do I find the download for Windows 8? Tried installing the regular windows app on my computer but it won't let me register this computer.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 12:36:51 PM PDT
Debbi Brown says:
Wait, Amazon makes this available now, but won't write the app to work on Blackberry Bold 9930's? This phone has been out for over a year and Amazon doesn't seen to care about their customers who use the Blackberry Bold 9930. There used to be a backdoor way to make it work, but that has stopped working now. Well, run right out and buy Windows 8 and you guys enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 12:39:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 25, 2012 12:41:12 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Blackberry is a small market and shrinking all the time. They are putting their resources into the larger markets. My question is why do they have to make a different app for each new release of a Blackberry? It should be like Android or iproducts. One app fits all.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 12:51:35 PM PDT
I just checked with my sister - she has the BB9930, and her Kindle app is working just fine.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 1:50:49 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 1:54:42 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 8:06:49 PM PDT
Sarida says:
Nice! Good job Amazon! Kudos.

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 5:50:40 AM PDT

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 10:43:07 PM PDT
Woohoo! That's awesome! I am installing windows 8 as I type this and I will be downloading the kindle app as soon as possible! Thank you, Amazon!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 2:56:09 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
You're actually upgrading to Windows 8 voluntarily?? :)

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 3:33:03 PM PDT
How do I search within a book with my kindle app foe windows 8?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 6:26:25 PM PDT
LOL! I did, and it actually works pretty well on here!

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 7:36:24 AM PDT
bunnydog says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 8:22:31 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 1:13:54 PM PDT
M. Burnette says:
I just ordered the kindle HD 8.9 with 4g. I see they are offering a data plan from AT&T. Do you have to have a data plan to use the internet and watch the movies? How about Skype? How do you know how much data you need.? I have unlimited usage of everything on my cell phone so have no idea how much data I am using or for what.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 1:17:58 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 8:59:13 PM PDT
How do you like the new interface, Aime'e? I rather like the looks of it, I ordered the upgrade myself because I found it online for less than $60.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 11:50:50 AM PDT
I actually like it a lot! It is easier for me to see what I want when I start up my computer and I love that there is an app store.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 5:07:31 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 5:08:50 PM PDT
@E.P.: All your Amazon books will be in the archive list on the new Kindle when it is registered to the same account as the old one. Click on a title in the archive list to download it to the Home page. Or you can send the books to the new Kindle from the Manage Your Kindle page on the website.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 5:25:51 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
What does this have to do with the app for Windows 8???

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 6:57:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2012 7:06:02 PM PDT
Jerry says:
Missing is the option to load local .mobi documents into the app, or did I overlook something? Furthermore, there are no folders or other ways to organize the library. For PC users, I see no advantages of the new app.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 7:40:37 PM PDT
mofromdc says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 8:03:40 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I believe just the 4G model. Again, what does this have to do with Windows 8???
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  77
Total posts:  132
Initial post:  Oct 25, 2012
Latest post:  11 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 27 customers

Search Customer Discussions