Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD and Youtube; Just not working

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 132 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2012 8:02:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 8:36:59 AM PST
W. F. Toney says:
I am having serious issues with my new Fire HD. Sometimes I can watch youtube videos but most times I get the "Video cannot be played" error. This has been going on for over a week, but yesterday I watched the vids for over an hour with no issues. Today we're back to the error message. The first video I tried worked, the rest did not.

I did find a forum thread from some time back. Has there been any progress on this issue? If I had known this was happening I certainly would not have purchased this tablet.

Any constructive input greatly appreciated.

OK; just downloaded the Dolphin browser. All is well for videos.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 8:17:09 AM PST
T. Cook says:
You mean besides the fact that Adobe no longer supports Flash on Android based Tablets?
AKA doesn't matter what Android tablet you buy, they will all have the same problem since Adobe doesn't support them because of HTML5.
If you try playing a non-flash youtube video, it will work.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:07:23 PM PST
Anonymous says:
how did you install dolphin? i dont see it in the app store

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:31:36 PM PST
The Artist says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 10:15:48 PM PST
Here are the Adobe Flash installation instructions:

To install Flash: (You have to have a Flash compatible browser in order to install Flash. You can't install it under Silk.)

Do the following on the Fire/Fire HD itself:

Swipe down from the top > More > Device > Allow Installation of Applications.

Install ES File Explorer: ES File Explorer

Download and install the Dolphin HD and Flash Player apk files from this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9d8gxh75f0747f1/83fV5m6x2c

Once both files are downloaded to your Fire, open ES File Explorer and look in the "Downloads" folder. You should see both files there. Install Dolphin HD *first* by tapping on the icon. Then install Flash.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 12:21:45 PM PST
m_meredith27 says:
i e mailed amazon support yesterday and this is what they sent me. youtube is now fully working on my kindle fire hd

Please do know that we recommend switching to mobile view when browsing a Flash-heavy website for better performance:

1. From the Silk browser, tap the Menu icon at the bottom of the screen.

2. Tap Settings.

3. Under General, tap "Default browser view" and select Automatic. (so that youtube can be automatically configured to Mobile view )

And once this switching is done or confirmed please restart the Kindle.

Restarting your Kindle Fire may resolve intermittent issues like a frozen screen, battery issues, or trouble downloading content to your Kindle Fire.

To restart your Kindle Fire, first make sure it is unplugged from the power adapter. Next, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds and then release. After the device has completely turned off, plug it into the power adapter then press the power button to restart your Kindle Fire.

To ensure that 20 seconds has elapsed, you can use the stopwatch available in our Kindle help pages:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_kin_gw_getst?nodeId...

If your Kindle Fire is still unresponsive, try charging your Kindle Fire for at least one hour using the before trying to restart your Kindle Fire again

I hope this helps.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 11:18:35 PM PST
alexis says:
thanks Laura! it worked :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 11:23:48 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
Thanks for posting that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:48:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 7:48:46 AM PST
W. F. Toney says:
M_Meridith;

Thank you for posting this. Unfortunately, it did not work for me. I am using the Dolphin browser now for streaming video and it work OK, but not without its own issues.

I really hope to hear from Amazon about a universal fix for this issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:49:41 AM PST
You're very welcome!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 12:29:59 AM PST
sr11 says:
I tried this and after I installed ES File Explorer it still didn't show up in my app library. I tried to download it again, but it just says I already own it and it should be in my app library...except it's not. What should I do?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 12:36:54 AM PST
Bixillarla says:
There will be no uniformal fix for the issue, Adobe stopped supporting Android devices so Amazon cannot give you flash.

Until Youtube and other websites fully switch over to html5 there will be issues.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:02:08 AM PST
Right on Laura! Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 8:20:33 PM PST
Isabel E says:
Is it still necessary to download Dolphin without the Adobe support for Android and just stay with Silk?

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:29:24 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 17, 2012 10:29:48 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:04:04 PM PST
If you want/need Adobe Flash, you have to have a web browser that supports it. Silk does not. You will need to install both Dolphin HD and Adobe Flash and then use Dolphin HD as your main web browser to view sites that have Flash videos.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:05:59 PM PST
sr11 - Have you connected your Fire to the internet? If so, swipe down from the top of the screen to get to the settings menu and tap "Sync". Then, go to your apps tab and in the cloud, you should see the icon for ES File Explorer. Tap it to download and install. Once you have ES FIle Explorer installed, go back to the Flash instructions and download Dolphin HD and Flash from the Dropbox link.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:41:33 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
A universal fix for this issue will be when everyone switches from Adobe Flash to HTML5. Amazon has no control over this.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 12:38:56 AM PST
sr11 says:
ok that worked thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 5:08:13 AM PST
Luv Maine says:
Laura, you're awesome ! Thank you for the help. I just received a Kindle Fire as an early Christmas gift and need a Kindle Fire for dummies class. lol. Going to try this tonight.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:27:03 PM PST
Thanks so much, ive been trying to do this for ages. All the other ideas i couldnt understand this is the only one that has worked. Thanks so much.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 12:28:23 PM PST
Yeah! Glad to hear you all got Flash working!

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 11:51:35 PM PST
A. Branham says:
Dolphin web browser is not compatible with my device.... I have a Kindle Fire HD 7"... I have followed all instructions from Laura, it is still not working. Is there anything that actually works? Been trying EVERYTHING, switching web view to automatic, to mobile, and restarting kindle every time has not worked..

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:37:24 AM PST
dawnsong says:
Dolphin plus Flash works on my Fire HD 7"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 5:31:34 PM PST
Henny says:
Yay, it works thanks. Not sure why I needed ES file explorer though. I didn't use it to download Dolphin and Flash
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  88
Total posts:  132
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2012
Latest post:  May 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 38 customers

Search Customer Discussions