Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Stolen Kindle Fire?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 225 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2011 9:34:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2011 1:56:19 PM PST
This week I had my Kindle Fire stolen from my desk at work. Lesson learned. If yours gets stolen the first thing I did was I changed my Amazon password and all passwords for regular apps/sites i use. The second thing i did was connect with Amazon Customer Service and they provided me with my serial number for my police report. They also de-authorized my device so that no-one else could use the device. I then reversed 1 click purchasing options and cancelled magazine subscription. I then filed a Police report online giving the serial number. The Police recovered my Fire in 24hrs because i provided the serial number and had a suspect that had been carrying out a pattern of similar thefts.

The follow up to this is that knowing the chances of getting my Kindle Fire back were slim i ordered a new one and it arrived today (Still havent got the first one back)... set up was easy... i registered it and i was prompted to install all the apps i had on the stolen one with one click... then all my books were loaded...this was all seamless... amazing... The other staff person who had their IPad2 stolen is quite jealous... my old fire will be called Phoenix and used for testing and development... something bad came out good.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 9:36:45 AM PST
quilt lover says:
Glad you got it back!

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 9:38:11 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 5, 2012 5:53:06 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 9:41:26 AM PST
I am very happy that you got it back.
You handled everything perfectly and I hope others can learn from your experience.

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 9:44:34 AM PST
J. Gatie says:
Imagine that, a Police report was filed and Amazon cooperated. Isn't that the advice a certain very repetititve poster was given and refused to follow?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 1:56:59 PM PST
Yes ... in fact we are all shocked at work

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 1:59:58 PM PST
A. Tsurukame says:
Wow. Thanks for posting that. Gives me faith.

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 12:34:12 PM PST
afei says:
we probably lost our new kindle fire. Could amazon help to get it back. I think amazon should have some inner software to trace the device when custom annouce their kindle fire was lost.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 12:38:06 PM PST
Really? If you lose your camera, do you expect Canon to track it for you?

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 6:07:28 PM PST
Wow, glad you got it back.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 6:09:36 PM PST
You need to follow the steps the OP did.
To expect more is ludicrous.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 6:17:44 PM PST
Cassie Anne says:
I'd like Acura to help me find my cars keys several times each day, but my requests have fallen on deaf ears.

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 7:08:36 PM PST
Sheri says:
You stole my Fires name!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 7:10:27 PM PST
I just want my Fire to keep track of its own stylus!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 7:14:04 PM PST
Cassie Anne says:
I sure can't help...I can barely keep track of my own keys! ;-)

My suggestions would involve duct tape and/or super glue, neither of which would guarantee usefulness of said stylus.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 7:19:20 PM PST
Oh, on the stylus!
I was using the super glue on my hand. Typing became very difficult.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 1:59:59 PM PST
It is a good name :-)

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 2:04:12 PM PST
J. Spotts says:
Glad to hear everything worked out.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 3:10:37 PM PST
Our Kindle Fire when stolen from out front porch where we (assume) the substitute mail carrier left it. Fortunately, Amazon customer service told us the thief would not be able to use it without knowing our password. They sent us a new device with no hassle!

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 9:58:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2012 9:15:37 AM PST
10002 says:
I bought a Kindle Fire from someone posting on *%^&#list. After a week of using, Amazon deactivated the device. I called Amazon and explain my situation and the person on the phone give me a hint that the device is stolen. I am willing to coorperate to provide the seller phone and email address but Amazon did not bother to ask for the device back.
The device still have the plastic cover on like new and original power adapter. I know the different because this is the second KF we have at home. After reading LEESHOFF post, I think the seller must've pick up from someone or neighbors apartment in NYC. The original registered name on the device is Catherine's. I think she might have got a replacement and I have to eat the lost and root the device later when no one claim it.

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 10:29:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2012 10:30:03 PM PST
J. Spotts says:
I'm assuming that when Amazon de-authorized the device they sent a update to disable it? If so, from what I've been reading about pre-rooting it seems that someone might be able to block the deactivation if they rooted the device and utilizes droidwall. I can't say for certain since I'm far from being a programer or techwiz, but it's something to think about. I'm not suggesting someone test this out or abuse it. Only that, if this happened I'd like to know they can't still access my content.

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 5:26:47 AM PST
Just wish there was a tracking system that can pin point it like my phone.

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 6:02:14 PM PST
What Amazon should do is allow you to brick the kindle from your account settings with a Message that is displayed on screen. While bricked the kindle would not function. Once the kindle is returned to you could simply unbrick it from your account screen. They could also have a list of ip addresses the kindle connects to amazon from on your account screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 10:16:47 AM PST
E. johnson says:
did u get the new one free

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 10:46:41 AM PST
Charlie Fox says:
Beverly

how about this? Locate My Kindle (Kindle Fire Edition)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for iOS 4.8
0 18 days ago
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
36 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 3144 17 seconds ago
Al's Place 35mm 7801 44 seconds ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 9673 1 minute ago
We're So Quirky, Our Chihuahuas Ride Bicycles! So Geese and Tally Ho! 5359 2 minutes ago
trading back ebooks 3 4 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 7283 5 minutes ago
Free Books & Chat - April 2015 857 6 minutes ago
OT: Discussion - (Freebie Books Links Only) 3483 11 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  94
Total posts:  225
Initial post:  Dec 2, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 28, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 58 customers

Search Customer Discussions