Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Why are kindle books getting so expensive?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 208 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 4, 2011 7:53:19 AM PST
Linnymsw says:
When one buys a book for Kindle, you get to read it, maybe lend it but you really don't own it. Why are the prices rising to almost what it would cost to buy the book itself at Costco or other places? This is making me not buy books on Amazon. I have definitely cut back on buying, and I bought a LOT of books when they were $9.99. I think Amazon is shooting itself in the foot by not pushing back at publishers to lower the price to reasonable. I will go back to buying real books if the price is similar. Then I have freedom to lend as often as I like and to give them to others if I like. We need a Kindle price uprising!! Don't buy books that are over $9.99!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 7:55:17 AM PST
sabst79 says:
I'll buy e-books at whatever price I feel is right for me. Even if it's more than $9.99

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 7:56:12 AM PST
Caddis Nymph says:
Why are kindle books getting so expensive? Because publishers are charging more for them. Amazon doesn't control all of the ebook prices as of April 1, 2010. That may change April 1 this year ... or it may not.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 7:56:34 AM PST
Caddis Nymph says:
Pinkie bump!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 7:56:36 AM PST
CLB77 says:
"I will go back to buying real books if the price is similar. Then I have freedom to lend as often as I like and to give them to others if I like."

That's exactly why the prices are so high, Linny, because that's what the publishers want you to do: buy the printed copy. Now, there's nothing wrong with doing that--most of us make our choices based on what we think is a reasonable price for something--but if you wonder why the prices are so high, that's your answer.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 7:59:45 AM PST
CLS10 says:
"I think Amazon is shooting itself in the foot by not pushing back at publishers to lower the price to reasonable."

And, when Amazon did this, kindle customers cried bloody murder when their precious kindle books weren't available for purchase. Customers said that they should be able to choose whether or not they would pay agency prices.

You can't have it both ways.

And, how is Amazon shooting itself in the foot? It's not like they are the only ebooksellers stuck with agency pricing. Everyone has to deal with it. Even if people don't buy ebooks, a lot of them will probably buy paper books from amazon anyway.

Posted on Mar 4, 2011 8:02:03 AM PST
Zeldock says:
"And, when Amazon did this, kindle customers cried bloody murder when their precious kindle books weren't available for purchase."

Econ 101: price ceilings create shortages. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 8:03:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2011 8:07:14 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Every thing else is going up in price, why not ebooks??? I went to the farmers market this morning and found a head of lettuce is now 1.99.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 8:05:38 AM PST
Caddis Nymph says:
Yes, the cost of driving your car to the bookstore is rising ... and rising quickly. Makes Kindle book purchases even more attractive, not to mention you don't have to go to the mall. (Gag!)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 8:09:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2011 8:10:46 AM PST
shiraz says:
"They", the publishers, Amazon, whoever, may just be shooting themselves in the foot because, I, for one, plan to get a Nook to download free, public library books on.
I love my Kindle but I read a lot and can't justify paying so much for a book that I can't even lend out or donate to a non-profit org.
I know, prices are going up everwhere...this is one area where I have options though, so I'll be saying, sadly, by by Kindle.

Posted on Mar 4, 2011 8:12:19 AM PST
I think everything should be free, that'd make things easier for all of us.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 8:17:04 AM PST
CLB77 says:
I am not here to sell anyone on using a Kindle exclusively or change your mind about making your own financial and reading choices. I will implore you though to please just check your library's availability before investing in a new piece of hardware. With my library availability, a Nook (or other device) would be as big a doorstop as a Kindle if I decided to stop buying books. My mother's library has a pretty large selection, though it's really best if you like murder-mystery writers.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 8:19:30 AM PST
Kindler says:
@Jazzy_Jeff, I like paying $3.60 per gallon for gas. It keeps me young. I mean one has to be in good shape to push a car everywhere. }8o>

Maybe I should go live with the Amish?

Kindler

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 8:20:16 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Also things are changing in the library lending as well. Looks like some of the publishers are only going to allow so many copies to be checked out before they have to be repurchased. Not sure how libraries are going to handle this.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 8:20:36 AM PST
CLS10 says:
Make sure you check your library's selection. Remember that MacMillian and Simon and Schuster generally do not allow their books to be loaned as ebooks in libraries. Also note that Harper Collins' new restrictions may lead to many libraries dropping their ebooks or making you jump through hoops to get them.

That said, many people have two readers--kindle as their primary reader, and a nook or sony or kobo or literati for library books.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 8:21:25 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I don't even own a car anymore. It is way too expensive. Good thing they have a good transit system here in Phoenix.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 8:23:18 AM PST
Kindler says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 8:26:31 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 8:29:28 AM PST
loriltx says:
Everyone is different. If you are happy with the library, then this is what you should do. Like many others, I am willing to pay the price of not having what I read and when I read it dictated by the library.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 8:30:53 AM PST
I hope it does change this year, Caddis, but I am happy to have my K3. I guess I will just have to keep stocking up on free books.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 8:33:54 AM PST
Jwb52z says:
You can't have a shortage, unless it is artificial, when you're talking about a computer file.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 8:35:38 AM PST
Kindler says:
I need to have my car. Wish I didn't. Everytime I haul my horses somewhere I ask myself the same question. "What is wrong with this picture?" *sigh

Of course, nobody forces me to have horses so I guess complaining about it is kind of like asking for cheese with my WHINE. :D

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 8:40:33 AM PST
Are you saying that you cannot download library books into a Nook ereader? I had been curious about that for some time, now.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 8:42:14 AM PST
Actually, you have answered my question. I was thinking of obtaining a second ereader exclusive for borrowing books.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 8:42:18 AM PST
CLB77 says:
Not at all. I'm saying that the selection at my library is so poor that it wouldn't be worth buying the technology to download them.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.4
16 1 hour ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 2 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update 5.4.5
42 1 day ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Root access for HDX 7.0 44 7 seconds ago
kindle turns off at near 60 percent charged. 1 2 minutes ago
Compatible Wireless Printer for Kindle Hd 8.9? 2 3 minutes ago
Al's Place 35mm 2032 3 minutes ago
Free Books & Chat - Friday August 1, 2014 27 3 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 1262 6 minutes ago
unable to download recent purchase onto my kindle through USB since you change manage your kindle to mange your devices. what's wrong??????? 3 9 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  69
Total posts:  208
Initial post:  Mar 4, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions