Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle fire useless in europe

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2012 2:05:15 AM PST
Gail says:
why dont kindle tell people that the fire is useless outside the United states and people would be better off with nearly any other tablet in europe

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 2:31:59 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
because it's not - it works perfectly fine in the UK, Italy, Spain, Germany and France

and if you'd clicked on the "Want to use outside the U.S.?" piece of text on the product page, you'd have seen these words:

If you're traveling with Kindle Fire HD, you can access any content you've downloaded to your device or shop for new books and magazines anytime you like.

With a U.S. credit card, you'll also be able to purchase new apps and music for Kindle Fire HD while you are abroad.

To purchase, download, or stream movies and TV shows, you must be physically present in the U.S. and have a U.S. billing address.

So they spelled it out pretty clearly - also, lots of people are perfectly happy with theirs using third party apps

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:29:14 AM PST
Gail says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:35:26 AM PST
Bixillarla says:
Amazon is slowly adding more reginal stores to cover other countries, at the moment they service UK, Italy, Spain, Germany and France.

Amazon also recently announced a Japan store coming.

Amazon would love to supply the content to everyone but cannot due to copyright laws and digital rights for the content. They do not have the rights to do so.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:10:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 3:58:21 AM PST
CB does NOT work for Amazon. He has that title because of feedback on the forums for being so helpful. These are customer forums not Amazon tech support.

He is quite correct. Amazon ONLY ships the Fire to the locations that they have distribution rights. As CB says, it is clearly stated on the Amazon product pages what the restrictions are so customers are informed prior to purchase. If you did not check, it's not Amazon's issue. If you purchased from a third party (and there are a number of third parties selling the Fire where Amazon won't), again, that's not Amazon's issue.

Amazon has, this year expanded it's distribution rights in a number of areas and set up regional stores for those customers. Amazon is working on expanding to other areas but it is a very slow process.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:27:09 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
I do live outside the US myself - and that's why I didn't buy one until it was available from a Kindle Store in the country I live in

and because I chose to keep my amazon.com account on it, I too can't buy apps, but I've acquired plenty from 3rd party providers

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 4:38:07 AM PST
I bought a 1st gen Fire when they were first released last year and used it extensively in Costa Rica, Central America, until I switched over to a Nexus 7 when it came out several months later. Although I couldn't access Amazon videos and apps on it, it was far from useless. For the price, it's still a great tablet but perhaps isn't the best choice for someone who lives or travels outside the countries where it's supported by Amazon.

The Nexus 7 and many other tablets support vpn connections which allow you to connect to the internet through a US-based server and access the same content as if you were physically located in the US.

The Fire doesn't directly support vpn sonnections. However, you can easily configure a vpn connection with a DDWRT router such as this one: ASUS (RT-N16) Wireless-N 300 Maximum Performance single band Gaming Router: Fast Gigabit Ethernet, support USB-Hard Drive and Printer and Open source DDWRT .

If you have a vpn service with US-based servers and have US accounts with Amazon, Google Play, etc., you should have full access to all features and content, no matter where you travel or live.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:43:19 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
So you buy crap then is what you are saying. All you have to do is a little research and you wouldn't have any problem. So if you don't want to use advice from anyone here then go sit and cry about it. Amazon is not going to sell you things illegally just to please you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.5
64 18 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
RAoK #78 and still going! 8354 18 seconds ago
Pandora on kindle fire 2 48 seconds ago
My kindle won't turn on 1725 2 minutes ago
Paperwhites Locking Up 54 3 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 3829 5 minutes ago
is there an app for that? 3858 7 minutes ago
Nuibooks 61 8 minutes ago
Kindle Unlimited 5 9 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions