Customer Discussions > Meet Our Authors forum

The promised land, 20 years after the end of the world

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on Nov 6, 2012 10:41:41 AM PST.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 4, 2012 11:48:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 12:00:12 PM PST
Peter Mahler says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 11:50:11 AM PST
dfn.ninja says:
No.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 11:51:03 AM PST
Self-promotion isn't permitted here. You should edit your post and delete your link. Most users here keep lists of authors who spam, and won't even look at your book, let alone buy it.

Check out the Meet Our Authors forum, your posting would be welcome there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 11:57:11 AM PST
Peter Mahler says:
I will try to delete the link. Where is the "Meet the authors" forum?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 12:00:37 PM PST
http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_topf_t?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 12:02:12 PM PST
Peter Mahler says:
Many thanks, I have deleted the link and am sorry to have upset you.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 12:03:56 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
"A good, horrific read." Priceless.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 12:10:05 PM PST
Peter Mahler says:
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 12:45:46 PM PST
Old Rocker wasn't complimenting you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 1:07:19 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
Oh boy. That "thanks" was so not what you really mean. Trust me.

BTW - it is still self-promotion which is what is verboten (even without the hot link). Expect Amazon to delete the whole post soon. They really should delete the thread since you used the title (without ANY caps???) as thread title.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:37:05 AM PST
Peter Mahler says:
Well then, if it is so detestable I will delete the entire string myself. This is NOT the way I wanted to join the Amazon community.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:39:24 AM PST
Here's a suggestion:

Before joining a community, educate yourself a bit about it. Read the FAQs, learn the rules, etc. And if you want to promote your book, use proper grammar, spelling, etc. Nobody wants to buy a book from an author who uses chat/text speak in a forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:41:57 AM PST
Peter Mahler says:
by the way, why are you so troubled by the issue? Did I do or write anything to offend you or AMAZON some how? And if so, why? How? How come AMAZON should delete my posting? Please explain to me what is so offensive about what I did! I think that the issue is overrated, to say the least. Over here, in Austria, things would never be like this. But please Dog Lover, enlighten me so that I can understand what is going on here.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:44:58 AM PST
Offend? Not really. Break the rules? You bet.

Before the rule was in place, this forum was FULL of authors promoting their books. You couldn't find anything else and it got beyond ridiculous. People couldn't get their questions answered because as soon as they posted their question, their post got pushed to page 10 because so many authors were promoting their books. This is NOT the place to promote your books, it is a place to ask questions and get help.

Get over yourself and learn to follow the rules. Whining at those who call you on rule breaking is not going to increase your sales.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:47:59 AM PST
Initial post: May 16, 2011 4:46:41 PM PDT
Amazon Community Team says:
(AMAZON OFFICIAL)
Amazon recently created a new community for authors. The `Meet Our Authors' community is designed to give authors a space to engage with one another and promote their latest and greatest works.

With the advent of the new community, we will no longer allow self promotional posts in other communities. Starting on Monday, May 16th, all "shameless self promotion" activity will be limited to the `Meet Our Authors' community. Promotional threads outside of these forums will be removed.

We invite authors and interested readers to come join the discussion at:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors

We look forward to seeing you!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:48:34 AM PST
Peter Mahler says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:48:56 AM PST
Old Rocker says:
You should maybe find another community to Join with that attitude.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:50:09 AM PST
No I don't dig it. If an author can't be bothered to write properly while promoting his or her book, I most certainly will not even give the book a chance.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:51:05 AM PST
My general rules for joining a new forum:

1. Lurk for a while to get the tone and attitude of the forum.
2. Assume you can't sell or promote anything you make money on until you have been directly told that you can.
3. Never, ever introduce yourself with anecdotes about that weekend you spent in Amsterdam with the blonde you dated in college. Unless you're willing to provide pictures - In which case, game on.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:52:53 AM PST
Peter Mahler says:
I know, but his comment is fun any way, just as fun as I meant it too. So I said thanks. Nice of me, actually, ain't it?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:54:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 10:55:43 AM PST
Oh boy...

Just another piece of advice Peter, and this one's free. DO NOT pursue this line of thinking here on this forum. You won't win. In fact, you may not emerge alive. There are dozens of old threads filled with the burned wreckage of writers who have come here trying to argue that proper grammar and spelling are not important - you are hardly the first. Most of them leave in tears. None of them leave with actual sales.

You've been warned. Proceed at your own risk.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:55:30 AM PST
J. Gatie says:
I congratulate you on being the first marketer in a long time to give up on honey to catch flies; using good old vinegar instead. You won't be successful, but it does take some gumption, and for that I commend you. *rolleyes*

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:56:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 10:56:59 AM PST
Cassie Anne says:
Amazon should delete your posting because you're promoting your book outside the designated self promotion forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:57:49 AM PST
J. Gatie says:
Awww, why'd you have to tell him Doc? My life has been lacking in the burned husks of an author's soul, and I do miss them so.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:58:15 AM PST
Cassie Anne says:
Rite. Y wood ennyone car aboot speeling?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 57 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Meet Our Authors forum
Participants:  39
Total posts:  1406
Initial post:  Nov 4, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions