Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Announcement

Kindle Fire Tips: Getting Started

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 24, 2011 7:47:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2011 1:18:56 PM PST
Do you have a question about how to get started with your Kindle Fire? We have compiled some of the most common questions to help get you started!

If you have questions about the Kindle Fire and Wi-Fi, make sure to check out our "Kindle Fire Tips: Setting Up Wi-Fi" post here http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle%20customer%20service%20q%20and%20a/?cdForum=Fx1GLDPZMNR1X53&cdThread=Tx3UVHFO6TRURBK&cdMsgID=Mx2S9Q12O3PW2H9.

Q. How do I register my Kindle Fire?
A. To register online, visit Manage Your Kindle at http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle.
You can also register your Kindle Fire directly from the device by following the steps found here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=200729250#registering

Q. Having trouble registering from your Kindle Fire?
A. Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help:

a. Go to the "Your Account" page (found by clicking the link in the upper left of this page) and then Click "Change Account Settings" under Settings-account Settings. Make sure that your name is entered in the Name field.
b. Make sure you are connected to a Wi-Fi network. You should see the Wi-Fi icon in the top right of your Kindle Fire. You can also test your connection by browsing to a web page using the Silk web browser found under "Web". Your Kindle Fire needs to be connected to a Wi-Fi network to complete the registration process.
c. If you cannot connect to a Wi-Fi network check out the troubleshooting steps found in our Kindle Fire Tips: Setting Up Wi-Fi post here http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle%20customer%20service%20q%20and%20a/?cdForum=Fx1GLDPZMNR1X53&cdThread=Tx3UVHFO6TRURBK&cdMsgID=Mx2S9Q12O3PW2H9.

Still having problems registering? Please contact our Customer Support team by clicking Help at the top of the page and using the Contact Us button.

Q. How can I purchase apps for my Kindle Fire?
A. You will need to have a 1-Click payment method set up with your Amazon account. You can learn more about how to setup a 1-Click payment method here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=200729570#start

Q. What can I do if my Kindle Fire will not turn on?
A. Charge your Kindle Fire for 30 minutes. If it is still unresponsive, unplug it from the power source and hold the power button for 20 seconds. After the Kindle Fire turns off, press the power button again to turn it back on.

Q. What is Amazon Prime?
A. Amazon Prime is an annual membership program that offers customers unlimited Free Two-Day Shipping on millions of items and instant streaming of movies and TV shows for $79 a year with Prime instant videos. Eligible customers who purchase a Kindle Fire will be given a free month of Amazon Prime.
When you purchase a Kindle Fire as a gift, the gift recipient will receive a free month of Amazon Prime benefits once they activate the Kindle Fire, provided they are eligible for the offer. You can learn more about Amazon Prime and Kindle Fire at http://www.amazon.com/help/kindle/prime.

Q. How do I update the software on my Kindle Fire?
A. Kindle Fire will automatically update when a new software update is available and when the Kindle Fire is connected via Wi-Fi.
Visit the Kindle Software Updates page at http://www.amazon.com/kindlesoftwareupdates to see if a free software update is available.

Q. Why doesn't my computer recognize my Kindle Fire?
A. To use your Kindle Fire in USB mode, ensure that it is not in sleep mode when it is plugged in.

Not sure which Kindle is for you? Learn more about each new device and compare features on our website at http://www.amazon.com/kindlefamily

If these FAQs don't answer your question, please start a new discussion.

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 8:05:49 PM PST
Can I use my new Kindle Fire with dial up

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2011 8:48:28 PM PST
Dawn - You will need a wi-fi connection at least once to register your Fire. You can do that at any free hotspot like Starbucks, McDonalds, libraries, etc.

You can buy books from the website and load them onto the Fire with a USB cable connected to your PC. The downloads will be slow over dial-up, however. You can sideload videos, music and photos provided they are in the proper format via USB cable also.

You will not be able to use most of the other features of your Fire without wi-fi. You would need broadband internet access for that - cable, DSL or satellite. You can't hook up a wi-fi router to a dial-up connection.

Without wi-fi you will not be able to download/stream videos or music, surf the web, use email, download apps, access the Cloud or anything else that uses the internet. Without wi-fi your Fire will not be very functional.

If you cannot get broadband access, you might consider either the Kindle Keyboard 3G, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display - includes Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers or Kindle Touch 3G, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display - includes Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers which both have 3G service using cell phone technology.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2011 8:53:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2011 9:03:13 PM PST
Dang. Was the Fire a gift? If you don't have wi-fi at least in your house, that's like giving a guy with no hands a pair of gloves.

ETA: I think this announcement is an attempt to ward off the bizillion calls that are going to come in once everyone opens their presents tomorrow. The phone lines are going to implode. I'm so sorry.

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 9:24:51 PM PST
Will I need to add a wireless router to use the Kindle Fire at home?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2011 9:32:24 PM PST
Yes, Fred. They're not real expensive and most are easy to set up. You can get them at Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc. or your ISP may provide it and come out and set it up for you. I know Comcast does.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2011 9:48:12 PM PST
How many Kindles can be registered to one Amazon account?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2011 9:55:28 PM PST
Unlimited. I, myself, have a Keyboard Kindle, a Fire, two Kindle for PC's and an Android Kindle phone app. Some posters here have a dozen on their account.

There are some restrictions on the number of devices that can read the same book at any one time, though. The default is 6.

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 10:13:09 PM PST
Absntmind says:
I am having issues with the volume being extremely low, even when maxed out (my phone is louder). This seems to have been a common issue. Has anyone found a solution? I have the latest update, yet still the same.

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 10:30:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2011 10:33:00 PM PST
Ken's Doc says:
how can you directly download mobi book files from non amazon sites (such as gutenberg) to the fire? i can do this on my e-ink kindle but the files do not open when i try to download them from gutenberg to the fire. i do not want to have to use my pc to do this and would appreciate a solution to this issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2011 10:50:34 PM PST
Sheryl J. says:
How do I get out of a book once I'm in it? When I touch the screen, nothing comes up for me to touch to get out. I feel stupid.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2011 10:52:05 PM PST
Sheryl J. says:
Volume on mine is awesome. I'd actually like to turn it down, but I can't figure out how to get out of the dictionary I opened. LOL.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2011 11:32:17 PM PST
Janeway says:
Sheryl, when you are in the book, just do a light tap on the very bottom edge of the screen and it will bring you up a bar of icons. You will see the menu icon in the middle, and to the far left you will see the Home icon. Tap that and it will take you back to the carousel (and bookmark your place). Hope that helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2011 11:50:03 PM PST
Sheryl J. says:
Thank you, Janeway. I did try that and never got the icons to show up. But it's good to know I was doing it right. Rebooting it worked this time. Bought my first Kindle book, so I'll see how that goes. :-) Thanks again!

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 3:26:33 AM PST
fire burned says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 4:40:47 AM PST
My daughter received a new kindle fire as a gift. She is 12. What is the best option for registering the kindle: add it to my amazon account or create a new account for her.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 5:01:47 AM PST
~nospin says:
Thomas-
That is a decision you must make as there is not a one size fits all solution. If you have Prime she will be able to stream Prime Instant Videos beyond the one month trial without paying add'l. On the other hand, you will not benefit from the free month of Prime.

A lot depends on how much Amazon content you already have and whether you want her to access it. If you already have quite a bit of movies and music in the cloud, it may bother you to have to repurchase anything she may like. Your books will be totally available to her and some parents have expressed dismay that their children can view their sensitive reading materials.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 5:03:20 AM PST
~nospin says:
Sheryl-
Lightly touch the middle of the screen and a lower menu bar will appear with the little house in the lower left corner. Press the house and you will go to the home page.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 5:08:53 AM PST
What nospin said.

Also, as the parent of an 18 year old girl, and an 8 year old boy, my personal ~opinion~ (you know what they say about those) is that you should register your daughter's Fire to her OWN account, and buy her gift cards for her purchases.

My kids are BOTH about to be on my Amazon account with new KINDLES, and I DID have to go through my Archive and see if there was anything I would be ...dismayed... if they read. (I'm okay!!) lol

But the Fire is a horse of a different color, and in a purely opinion-based way, my call is to get her her own account.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 5:12:18 AM PST
@absntmind - Note that there is a master volume control but many apps have their own controls as well. To access the master touch top right corner of the screen and select Volume from the quick settings bar.

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 5:25:55 AM PST
Do you have to have a back up credit card to order items when using gift cards? If not how do you avoid it?

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 5:42:31 AM PST
i put a gift card on my child's account, i understand that i have to put a cc on file, but the first app pulled from my cc not my gift card.

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 5:55:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2011 5:56:08 AM PST
Mike says:
<< Gilbert Baron says: I wish someone would tell me what I am doing wrong then. I have NO trouble with most web sites using pinch/zoom BUT ... >>

I never experience this problem until your post. I have a solution for you.

FaceBook mobile site is set up not to allow zoom. I always logon to www.facebook.com. I also have my browser settings to use "always to use desk top view". I like it this way because most of the mobile are not set up for the bigger KF screen. I also like this because many web sites have ads on the sides, so I just zoon in on what I've reading and leaver the ads off. :)

I also have the browser configure to "auto fill the page". This may also help.

Try it and let us know if this fixes your problem. You may have to logout of facebook and close all tabs on the browser.

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 6:00:19 AM PST
Donna B says:
Donna B says:

Can someone tell me what I might be doing wrong? I had a Kindle 2 with 3G prior to the Fire. After I order a book, where do I have to put it so I can read it without Wi-Fi near me. I will be going on a cruise and would love to put my books where they belong. Thank you for your help

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 6:34:52 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 25, 2011 6:35:42 AM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  1164
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Dec 24, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 77 customers

Search Customer Discussions