Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books & Chat Sat, Nov 3, 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 168 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 2, 2012 9:03:14 PM PDT
KayKay says:
Hello Yall and Welcome to Free Books & Chat! Here we always have good food and drink and plenty of links to free books as well as great chat. Come on in and make yourself at home. Pull up a chair and stay a while. Share with us the books that you find and maybe pick up a few from others picks as well.

With all of the adversity that our friends and neighbors are facing in this latest disaster from Mother Nature or whatever RL is throwing your way - I am offering up some encouragement in the form of quotes. Be sure to contribute and share other words of wisdom and encouragement:)
Elizabeth SH, you and others are in our thoughts & prayers. And we are sending strength your way!

Resilience is the ability to work with adversity in such a way that one comes through it unharmed or even better for the experience. Resilience means facing life's difficulties with courage and patience - refusing to give up. It is the quality of character that allows a person or group of people rebound from misfortune, hardships and traumas.

Resilience is rooted in a tenacity of spirit-a determination to embrace all that makes life worth living even in the face of overwhelming odds. When we have a clear sense of identity and purpose, we are more resilient, because we can hold fast to our vision of a better future.

If you learn something from a defeat it isn`t a loss
.Author: Autum worcester

You can get sympathy or you can get better but you can't get both. You can be in your comfort zone or you can have growth, but you can't have both. You can be interested or you can be sold-out-committed, but you can't entertain both. You can have excuses or have results, but you can't do both. Choose the path that develops your visceral fortitude.
Author: Mario Cortes

Happiness is not the absence of problems but the ability to deal with them
Author: H. Jackson Brown

Man never made any material as resilient as the human spirit.
Author: Bern William

Courage is resistence to fear -mastery of fear, not absence of fear.
Author: Mark Twain

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Links to free book resources:

Kinlib:
http://us.kinlib.com/

Ereaderiq:
ereaderiq.com/free/

Dailyfreebooks:
dailyfreebooks.com

*** SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS ***
You are welcome to join us for conversation, however, self-promotion or posting a link to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. Please go to the "Meet Our Authors" area for that, as many of us do check there as well.
THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES!

*************************************************************************************

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Starter Schedule:

Home Cook - Sunday, November 4, start time: 1am EST
Leonard Little - Monday, November 5: start time: 12:30 am PST
Irish M - Tuesday, November 6: start time: 5-6 am EST
Ketta - Wednesday, November 7: start time 4-5am EST
Charlie-bird - Thursday, November 8 Start time: 7:00 am Central (probably earlier)
Lover of Books - Friday, Nov. 9 start time: 12:30 am PST
Kay Kay - Saturday, November 10: start time 12:30-1:30 am EST
Zoo Keeper - Sunday, November 11: start time 6:00-7:00 am EST
Leonard Little - Monday, November 12 start time: 12:30 am PST
Robb - Friday, Nov 16th: start time 11pm to Midnight pst
TnT - Saturday, Nov 17th: start time 7-8 CST at latest
Zoo Keeper - Tuesday, Nov 20th: start time 6-7 am EST

Open Dates:

Tuesday, November 13
Wednesday, November 14
Thursday, November 15
Sunday, November 18
Monday, November 19

*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. ***
Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info.
Thank You!

Link to yesterday's thread:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx8ZHSMGMIPDYW

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 9:18:24 PM PDT
seedlady says:
nicely started.

and so to bed.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 9:50:04 PM PDT
Janine says:
Nice start Kay Kay I have a few suggestions about the book club oh I call you my cyber book club.
To me it looks like there are many more on a Friday than any other day if you look at the posts.
1. In the month before the discussion could we nominate say 5 to 10 books so if you think this is a book you would like to nominate when it is free then say this book I might nominate for book club so that we can download it that way we will have all the books for the next month.
2. If the discussion could open maybe 48 hrs before then everyone can put down their thoughts even if they not present for the discussion.
3. After the discussion can someone put up the 5 to 10 nominations and give 24 to 48 hrs to nominate their favorite so that there is enough time to read the next book a romance takes me two days but I think a horror will take me forever as I will only read it in day time.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 9:59:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 7:29:36 AM PDT
Lyn says:
I will post today and tomorrow and then just keep track so it does not become a permanent item.

Please check it over to make sure you are
1) on the list if you want to be
2) Your birthday and / or Anniversary are correct
3) August still seems to be winning

January
07 - Josie - BD
11 - BubbaK: Kelly - Ann
15 - Red Rose - Ann
29 - A. Mitchell - Ann

February
04 - Red Rose - BD
12 - dharts - BD
16 - LKS - Ann
17 - juleegee - Ann
24 - Zoo Keeper - Ann
28 - SDR Marla - BD

March
02 - Elizabeth S H - BD
02 - Robb - Ann
31 - JoJoPALS - BD

April
03 - westcoaster - BD
10 - Home Cook - Ann
18 - Ingrid - Ann
21 - Kay Kay - BD
27 - Robb - BD
28 - Mo - BD

May
02 - KY Bk Addict - BD
17 - Terry B in ME
18 - LOB - BD
20 - OregonDreamer (Marilyn) - Ann
22 - Becky - Ann
30 - Grammiam - BD

June
02 - Kindlana - BD
14 - OregonFiddler - BD
14 - LindaB - BD
22 - Walklvr - BD

July
05 - Kindlana - Ann
10 - Suze - BD
18 - LKS - BD
24 - JD - BD
28 - Nospin - BD
29 - barbara - BD

August
02 - OregonFiddler - Ann
04 - Panger - Ann
07 - Leo - Ann
08 - Ingrid - BD
08 - shopper here and there - BD
09 - Rocky the Book Worm - BD
10 - BJ - BD
13 - A. Mitchell - BD
13 - juleegee - BD
20 - Zoo Keeper - BD
23 - TerryInTexas - BD
23 - Grammiam - Ann
24 - MamaSody - Ann
29 - C-Bird - BD

September
02 - Tyger0902 - BD
04 - Kajola (Kathy) - BD
20 - fourthdaymom - Ann
21 - Becky - BD
23 - Celestial Kitty Wanted a Pony; Got Cthulhu - BD
26 - booknuts - BD
27 - MamaSody - BD

October
01 - fourthdaymom - BD
05 - A Adams - BD
05 - isanythingopen - BD
07 - Suze - Ann
15 - Kajola (Kathy) - Ann
17 - Home Cook - BD
20 - LOB - Ann
21 - *~Aimee~* - 21
22 - *~Aimee~* - 22
24 - SDR Marla - Ann
27 - Irish M - BD
27 - OregonDreamer (Marilyn) - Ann

November
04 - Ann - BD
10 - Ketta - BD
16 - Leo - BD
17 - DesertSkys - BD
17 - CruisenreaderMamaw - BD
19 - BubbaK: Kelly - BD
24 - Janine - BD
30 - Avid Reader (Liz) - BD

December
15 - MelissaShaw - BD
17 - Janine - Ann

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 9:59:24 PM PDT
Courtney says:
Apparently I need to move this up on the reading list. It has a yellow banner for me, but I sure tried to buy it again!Progressive Dinner Deadly (A Myrtle Clover Mystery) Retired octogenarian schoolteacher Myrtle Clover is fit to be tied when her book club votes to change to a supper club. Who wants chips and dip when they can have Dickens and Twain? The first supper club is a progressive dinner...where Myrtle loses interest during the hors d'oeuvres. But when a body is discovered during the main course, the evening quickly gets interesting. Myrtle pits her sleuthing skills against her police chief son's to find the killer....if the killer doesn't find her first.

Loving Eliza (South Dakota Series: Book 1) Eliza left her life of prostitution to become something she could never be back in Omaha: a lady. As soon as she arrives in South Dakota, she runs into John Evans, the town mute, who immediately falls in love with her and wants to marry her. She fights off his proposals, even as her attraction for him grows stronger. But can she afford to let him know her past? Will he love her anyway?

Xenolith (The Convergence) Two lightly intertwined stories of strangers lost in strange lands. Lassoed, knocked down, face planted in the dirt -- best thing to happen to Frank Bowen in years. When wife Liz went missing in the wilds of Belize, the constables of San Ignacio could find no trace. Years later, on a pilgrimage to her remote 'grave,' Frank is abducted and whisked away to a place he can't identify, by people whose motives and origins baffle him. Could this be what happened to Liz?
Meanwhile, at a relay site in a New England mill town, a band of scouts from that world awaits passage home. In the wrong place at the wrong time, they discover dealings that would give access to Earth to their enemies. The only way to stop this conspiracy is to destroy the 'xenoliths' that regulate convergences between the worlds. Can they find their way home and prevent their war from spreading to a new battleground called Earth? (I just want a book that starts with x! :)

The Reader (The Gifted)My name is Caleb Thorn and I don't have all that much going for me, besides being one of the world's leading street Magicians. It's one of those careers that everyone just naturally respects . . .
One thing I have got though is my ability to read people's mind; honest I can do that, none of this fake behaviour analysing rubbish, I can look inside your head and seeing what you're thinking. Spooky stuff. But what's even scarier is the fact that I'm not alone, there are loads of us "Gifted" (that's the street name for people with abilities like mine) out there; your wife or Dad or kid could be one and you wouldn't even know it. For me the world isn't a pretty place, I've got nut job Gifted to contend with, religious fanatics that like to see my kind dead and now MI5 want my help to solve some grisly murders.

Yellow Crocus: A Novel In 1837, Lisbeth Wainwright is born to the white mistress of a sprawling Virginia plantation. Seconds later, she is delivered into the arms of her black wet nurse, Mattie. For a field hand like Mattie, her transfer to the big house is supposed to be considered an honor-except that the move tears Mattie away from her beloved grandfather and her infant son, Samuel. But Mattie is a slave, with no say in the matter, and so she devotes herself to her master's daughter, though she longs to be raising her own child. Growing up under Mattie's tender care, little Lisbeth adopts the woman's deep-seated faith in God, her love of music and black-eyed peas, and the tradition of hunting for yellow crocuses in the early days of spring.

Children's Books: (But sound interesting, a library and the land of Oz)
The Librarian (Book One: Little Boy Lost) Wesley Bates thinks his life pretty much sucks. He's landed at the bottom of his school's popularity ladder, and bully Randy Stanford seems to be waiting around every corner. The troubled teen thinks he's found a way to escape his real-world problems when he stumbles upon strange doorways in Astoria's local library that seem to lead into the extraordinary worlds from all his favorite books. Oz, Neverland, Wonderland -- they're all a reality with Wesley's new discovery. Wesley teams with best friend Taylor Williams to embark on a great adventure, both ready to leave the drama of middle school behind. But the two kids quickly find themselves embroiled in a centuries-old battle for the library and the magic hiding within. Now, fighting alongside the eccentric old man who's vowed to protect the building's power, the pair must help ward off an attack by a shadowy group with a strange tie to Wesley's nemesis, forcing Wesley to face the fears he's been dodging... and one of the most terrifying bullies of all time!
The Librarian (Book Two: Unhappily Ever After) Yesterday, Taylor and Wes turned a boring field trip to their local library into a grand adventure when they found a mysterious portal leading into the fabled Land of Oz. But that was yesterday.
Today they've learned their actions have had grave consequences. Not only did they alter the Oz mythos, but their deeds may have had unexplained repercussions in the real world as well. Taylor's returned home to find she's living a life that isn't her own. Nothing's as she left it. Her normally warm father has become cold and distant. Her grades have fallen overnight. Teachers who once saw her as their favorite student, now consider her their most problematic pupil. Only Wesley remembers Taylor as she truly is, and together, he and Tay return to Oz hoping they can undo the damage and restore both worlds to the way they were. But the children quickly find they're in way over their heads. Not only has the Wicked Witch taken control of Oz, but Douglas Stanford has stayed behind to build a small army of storybook villains to help him obtain the magic hidden within Astoria's library. The librarian's returned to stop him, but the old man may need the children's help as the fate of every known world hangs in the balance.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 10:01:32 PM PDT
Courtney says:
Robbn ®

Birthday Oct 17 anniversary April 10.

Home Cook (Who desperately needs a new name)

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 10:06:16 PM PDT
For any who pick it up, Yellow Crocus: A Novel is an excellent story, very well written.
I would highly recommend it.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 10:11:57 PM PDT
Lyn says:
@Terry
I found a different recipe so it may clash with your death by chocolate. But it is Leo's B-Day so you can never have too much chocolate or coconut.

@leo
Does stout work? I am not sure spruce tree tips would work but amber is always good.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 10:20:10 PM PDT
Zoo Keeper says:
Home Cook,
Thanks for posting Progressive Dinner Deadly (A Myrtle Clover Mystery). I picked up a copy for Mom and myself.

Saturday we're driving about an hour and a half to the new Cabella's store (outdoor outfitters). The closest one before this one opened was 4-5 hrs. away. Son needs new boots. That's never fun, for me. Try finding a men's size 12 Hiker for a kid who has trouble finding the "right" fit. He and Hubby shop for shoes I hide somewhere else. It seems to go much smoother if I'm not around. Isn't it awful that I'm forced to shop in the ladies section all by myself?!?

Have a wonderful Saturday.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 10:45:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 11:36:36 PM PDT
Leo Little says:
As always a wonderful start Kay Kay....I don't wish hardships on anyone, but I think that you learn a lot about yourself and the people around you when they come.

Looks like Janine and I have similar ideas...I posted this on yesterday's thread and I'm bringing it forward...
I made a suggestion and before and I'd like to expound on it.

There are often books that come up that someone has either read before or they have read other books from an author. If you think it might be a good discussion book mark it while its free with...DISCUSSION NOMINATION....after the link...we can shorten the tag to DN or DiscNom ...one of the previous complaints had been that not everyone knew to download the discussion books when they were free....This way we can download all the potential nominations and no one will be left out because of price

I will move this to Sat. Thread as well....

BTW I named one of my Characters Janine...
Leo

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 11:38:50 PM PDT
Lyn says:
Off to bed.

@Home Cook
If you truly want a new handle then just ask. I am sure that people can come up with something you will like.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 12:05:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 7:17:15 AM PDT
Leo Little says:
@ Home Cook How about

Proud Massachusetts Mama

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 12:08:54 AM PDT
Janine says:
Hope she is not some evil person will start the book this weekend.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 12:14:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 7:10:53 AM PDT
Leo Little says:
No, she's the nice aunt of my primary character...

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 12:23:02 AM PDT
KayKay says:
Morning yall,
No updates from kinlib or ereaderiq yet. Guess I will check back later.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 12:44:05 AM PDT
Janine says:
Ha that suits me fine my nephews thinks I am a nice aunt.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 1:01:55 AM PDT
@Zoo

Yes that is absolutely *awful"~!! LOL

In response to yesterday's thread... I fell asleep in the recliner and didn't get a chance to tell you.... Don't Change~!!... we all love you as you are. Even him... he loves to hear your animal stories and he really likes your sense of humor. He lived in OH for much of his life too. (NW..Defiance County) :)

Marilyn

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 1:38:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 1:40:30 AM PDT
Zoo, we're going to Cabela also today. DH needs a pair of boots. I'd love to run and hide,it's so painful. First he'll pick out x,a pair he's been saying he needs, then he tries it on, ask me what I think, which feels like a trick question, I then begin to gently slam my head against the wall , because he then takes said x off and says "I'll think about it". then sometime during the 1 1/2 hr drive home he says" I should have bought x". What woman buys shoes like that?

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 2:37:36 AM PDT
Janine says:
The Seasons Series; Five Books for the Price of Three [Kindle Edition]
The Seasons Series; Five Books for the Price of Three

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 3:38:04 AM PDT
*~Aimee~* says:
Hello - I am a "lurker" who got my first Kindle Fire in Sept this year. I am so amazed at all the books that we can keep in "our cloud".
My birthday is Oct 21st
My anniversary is Oct 22nd.

** Just thought I would add my dates to the list**
I do enjoy reading the daily threads - WoW yesterday's was long. Good chatting.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 3:40:18 AM PDT
http://us.kinlib.com/new/f83a/ 528 today folks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 4:14:36 AM PDT
Aimee, Welcome and we hope to see more of you...I hope that your fire is starting to get fat...What type of books do you like?

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 4:37:19 AM PDT
Nice start KayKay...I have a niece called Kay Kay, Kay is her first name, for some reason her mom(my sis)started calling her Kay Kay. She won't even touch a Kindle and thinks all ereaders are evil! She is 16, so she will learn some day!

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 5:41:20 AM PDT
*~Aimee~* says:
@ Scary Sandy Shops - Thanks 4 the welcome and I will be around - sometimes quiet (until I get to know everyone LOL that is what I say in RL)
Oh my is my fire getting pleasantly plump LOL. My hubby keeps saying aren't you to be reading not "collecting" books. But I can't pass up very many freebies LOL. I am Aimee and I have an addiction - maybe need a intervention??
Normally I love true crime (but don't see much freebies that r true crimes). So I have a big mixture collected.
I am home 24/7 (due to a injury so had to give up my RN career - still have my license just been almost 10 years since had to quit working). So I am collecting almost all the time now.

(Thanks 4 asking)

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 5:43:53 AM PDT
Suze says:
Thanks Kay Kay!

Great quotes about resilience. I have a feeling that's a quality lots of people here have in abundance!

Welcome Aimee ! Your Bandit is adorable. Come back often, ok?

@ Home Cook.....thinking about your name....do you like your middle name or have any nicknames?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Music player update/ rollback updates 3 40 seconds ago
How do I add ePub or Mobi books into my Kindle (online) Library 74 1 minute ago
Hear Ye! Hear Ye! We're Quirky And We're Not Going To Take It Anymore! 2016, You've Been Warned! So Geese And Tally Ho! 8084 6 minutes ago
How to remove that stupid letter telling me that my library book has expired? 90 8 minutes ago
Al's Place 36 Degrees of Separation 1936 15 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat (FB&C)---May 2016 183 21 minutes ago
putting thr Kindle on Whi Fi 6 27 minutes ago
Connecting Fire Stick to Wifi 78 28 minutes ago
Amazon Fire 5th gen issues 17 30 minutes ago
voyage vs paperwhite which is better? 31 42 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  52
Total posts:  168
Initial post:  Nov 2, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions