Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

The December 2012 Informal Poll - What are YOU reading on your Kindle?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 475 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 1, 2012 3:16:11 PM PST
Patsy says:
I've taken the liberty of copying Charlene's "copy" of Michael's usual post:

"Here's how this works - list a book you are currently reading or just recently read on your Kindle (insert the product link using the little button above the text box in the discussion forum so others can find it), whether you would recommend it, did you get it free, and anything else you would care to share.

And here's my standard continuation of each month's request for prior participants in the poll: if you like or dislike a title you have read, in addition to telling us about it in this informal poll, how about writing a book review on the Amazon website? The review will certainly last and be visible a lot longer than this poll will. If you're like me, you look at the customer reviews in order to see if you want to investigate a book further. Since we are all a little community here, and while I realize each review is each person's opinion and we may not like the same thing, I know your friends and online discussion neighbors would appreciate your honest assessment of the likes and dislikes without providing a spoiler - I know I would! Your reviews don't need to be a long dissertation of the book, I like to keep them short, sweet, and (hopefully) to the point.

Anyway, that's all for now. Have a great December!"

And thanks to Michael for starting this thread almost every month and for Charlene who started November and for all the posters who take the time to share what they are reading. I know I have found many an enjoyable book from this thread.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 3:21:06 PM PST
Thanks, Patsy!

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 3:22:20 PM PST
The Artist says:
I just started reading Divergent. So far, I'm enjoying it. I borrowed it from the public library. Several people recommended it to me because I like The Hunger Games.

I interrupted my reading of My Mother Was Nuts in order to start Divergent, since that one has a time limit. I purchased My Mother Was Nuts for $1.99 when it was the Daily Deal. So far, she'll still a child in the book so nothing much interesting has happened.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 3:31:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 3:32:26 PM PST
For the ones who enjoy YA. Patricia C. Wrede has a great series they are Thirteenth Child (Frontier Magic), Across the Great Barrier, and The Far West (Frontier Magic). Story is about a girl named Eff in a land where the 13th child is considered by some to be evil. It is kind of a cross between the Little House and Harry Potter books. Great books!
Another book I really liked was Eight Keys to Eden a free book. An oldie but really cool with a theme about being open to new ideas. Because it is an old book the view of women is kind of 1950's but still has some interesting ideas.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 3:33:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 3:36:03 PM PST
Patsy says:
About 60% through Dinosaurs in the Attic and I am enjoying this book very much. "J" had recommended it in the November thread and here is his perfect description of the book "....Dinosaurs in the Attic was a great stroll through the history and some of the exhibits in the museum of natural history in New York. Very interesting stories about eccentric explorers and collectors and a little peek at what is hiding in the back rooms that the public doesn't see..."
The "Indiana Jones" character is actually based on one of the explorers in the book. I will definitely be making a trip to New York to tour this museum.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 3:33:55 PM PST
mebe says:
I just finished Blood Red Road not a fan won't get the second book
I just started Eve and the writing seems better
I need to finish Reached
Next I need to find something upbeat/funny

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 3:35:57 PM PST
❤ Ann says:
I'm currently reading Old Gold, my (late) November KOLL pick. I'm enjoying it so far.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 3:38:49 PM PST
PeggyZ says:
Finished Voyager by Diana Gabaldon; it's #3 in The Outlander series. I loved it; in fact am reading the whole series again in anticipation of the release of #8 the end of 2013. Paid for the Kindle version; although I have the rest of them in physical form; just easier to read on the Kindle.

Also read Still Life With Murder (Nell Sweeney Mystery Series, Book 1) by P.B. Ryan. Got it free for the Kindle (think it is still free). It's #1 in a historical mystery series that takes place in Boston after The Civil War. A very enjoyable read and I'm also buying the rest of the series on Kindle as I can afford them (think there are 5 books total?)

Currently reading The Soulless series by Gail Carriger; got them from our library. A paranormal series set in England during the late 1800's. Fast reads and not scary even though the romance is with a were-wolf. Not something I would normally read; I prefer historical fiction; but was recommended to me and I'm really enjoying the series.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 4:05:39 PM PST
lonbeehold says:
I just finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children today. I didn't realize it was YA when I downloaded it. I really enjoyed it..and then had a discussion about it with my daughter who read it earlier this year, lol. I am in the middle of The Night Circus

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 4:23:28 PM PST
quilt lover says:
Thanks for starting the December thread Patsy! I am around 60% into Heart-Shaped Box.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:26:55 PM PST
The Artist says:
OMG, I was so spooked by Heart-Shaped Box that I had to put it down for about 3 weeks at one point! It was like watching a scary movie. His second book, Horns, was not as good IMO.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 7:32:19 PM PST
F J McGill says:
I am reading on digital loan from the library - The Elegance of the Hedgehog Muriel Barbery . I am enjoying it much more than some of the amazon reviews would've lead me to believe.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 7:35:06 PM PST
Scrapmom says:
I am reading Last Wool and Testament: A Haunted Yarn Shop Mystery (Haunted Yarn Shop Mysteries).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 7:45:46 PM PST
I LOVED that books!!!!!

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 7:52:24 PM PST
lesley9 says:
Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family by Thomas Mann. Multi generational saga of middle class German familly during the 19th century.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 8:59:46 PM PST
Dorsie says:
Thanks to Patsy for starting the (yikes) December thread. Where did the year go?

i finished The Secret Keeper by Sandra Byrd, a tale of Catherine Parr. It was very worth reading, although probably best for true fans of Tudor historical fiction.

For a charmingly fun break, I recommend Dial C for Chihuahua (Barking Detective Mysteries) by Waverly Curtis. This is another cozy about a dog who can talk to his owner, but this little guy is so appealing with his courtly Spanglish and macho tales of previous heroic deeds. I even like the maladjusted (OK, psycho) cat. It's on sale right now for $2.99 and is a good way to wag your tail at the fiscal cliff and other trivialities.

Next, I'm going to read Mercury Rests (Book Three of the Mercury Series) by Robert Kroese. I have loved this laugh out loud series, which is also a terrific antidote for current events. This is a KOLL offering.

Happy Holidays to everyone. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 9:19:23 PM PST
Imagine Peace,

Yes! I love the Frontier Magic series by Wrede. :-) Wish the next book would come out soon, but there's nothing in sight so far.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 9:23:21 PM PST
Just started The Christmas Spirit by Elisabeth Fairchild. I enjoy Christmas Regencies and just picked this one up today. :-)

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 5:28:19 AM PST
lesley9 says:
Tales from the Coop: The joy of ex-battery hens - is my December Lending Library choice. Although we tend to think animal rescue groups only do dogs, cats, etc., there are those who also do hens from commercial egg factory farms. This book is UK oriented - each bird has her own story. Some very very sad and others of wonderful courage after a very rough start in life. A definite ray of sunshine against a very dark background of abuse and unimaginable cruelty....

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 5:37:24 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I am reading Native Son (Perennial Classics) which was gifted to me last month. It is a very good book. I can't believe I never had a chance to read this before.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 6:43:48 AM PST
Jamester says:
I very quickly breezed through J'adore New York: A Novel of Haute Couture and the Corner Office. It was a fun read and a slightly different take on chick lit.

Now I'm reading The Walnut Tree: A Holiday Tale in honor of the season.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 10:30:10 AM PST
MommaCat says:
I just finished one of my Cyber Monday buys Gone South by Robert McCammon. A five star book, for sure. If you lived through the Viet Nam era or know someone who did it will have much more meaning for you.

Today I'm going to read Crowley's Window, which is the current book for my reading group.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 11:26:12 AM PST
deb217 says:
I decided I wanted some light reading after a series of scary/murder mysteries/terrorist books. The three books I have chosen are I'm a Good Dog: Pit Bulls, America's Most Beautiful (and Misunderstood) Pet (not offered as a Kindle book), Christmas Dog, The, and The Greater Journey.
I bought The Greater Journey last year and put it into my TBR file. Recently, I was exploring my TBR and found it. I read about 10% of it and started over because there is so much information in this book that can be missed if you zip through it (which is what I was doing). I am enjoying this book immensely and learning a great deal about well known and not-so-well-known people.
Thank you Peggy, I didn't know there was going to be an 8th book in the Outlander series. Good to know. It has been a long time since I finished the series. Looks like I might have to review the series again.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 11:45:52 AM PST
J. Long says:
The Mill River Recluse by Darcie Chan.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 11:50:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 11:50:55 AM PST
lonbeehold says:
I read The Elegance of the Hedgehog last month. I loved it and want to read the author's other work, Gourmet Rhapsody.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  120
Total posts:  475
Initial post:  Dec 1, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 19 customers

Search Customer Discussions