Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Amazon Instant Video App for Android?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2012 2:14:02 PM PST
Toksik911 says:
Does Amazon plan to release an App to access Prime Instant Videos for Android devices?

I am unable to play them online due to my Android Version being incompatible Adobe Flash Player.

Pretty frustrating. I would like to see an App that allows me access; otherwise, I don't think my subscription fee is worth it anymore.

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 2:15:44 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Only Amazon knows and they don't tell us anything until they do it. So cancel your subscription if you want. You can always start it back up again.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 2:16:05 PM PST
Amazon so far has given no indication that they plan an app for Android devices other than the Fire. They did finally release one for iPad though, so there's some hope at least.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 2:20:20 PM PST
Toksik911 says:
The only thing keeping me from cancelling is the fact that my new Vizio Smart TV has the Amazon App on it, and it's pretty cool, but I can't get video on my Phone or Tablet, which makes me sad. :-(

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 2:42:08 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
There is a long thread about this. People have been complaining and asking for a Android Video app to watch the Prime videos for a long time.

I too would love a android video app so I can watch on my new Nexus 7 tablet, at the moment I can watch on my computer or my TV through my PS3 so it is not a hardship not having the app.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:34:07 PM PST
I'm considering getting Amazon Prime...but my phone and tablet are Android. Not having the app for Android is a big, black mark...

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 12:05:58 AM PST
Yong Pan says:
I am pretty sure technical obstacle is not the reason. Kindle fire is a modified android system after all. It's ridiculous that Amazon has an ipad add without a universal version for android. And no HD for PC either? Very disappointing, Jeff Bezos. Thought you were better than that.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 9:00:08 AM PST
Dan says:
sideload the dolphin browser and then the flash player. There are links to this if you search a bit. Worked for me on Kindle fire hd, but I had to also download a file handler app.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 9:20:50 AM PST
Joan Marie says:
My new Galaxy Note 10.1 (running Android ICS) wouldn't let me play 99% of the videos/streaming I use on a daily basis & made me re-thinking keeping it. I hate when Amazon acts like Apple. But using advice here in the Forum, I downloaded the Dolphin browser & then Flash player (I think it's ver 11.1) & am able to watch Prime instant video and the rest of my usual web video sources. The problem is that the process is imperfect (at least for me) and I have to keep reloading the page to prevent unending buffering. Very tedious process but better than no Flash option.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 11:42:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 2:01:07 AM PST
Jack says:
I'm moving all of my video purchases to Google Play. If Amazon won't provide an Android player they won't enjoy my business. Google is offering more and more titles and their pricing is competative. I also have the Galaxy Note 10.1. Combined with AllShare Cast and the Samsung hub it's the best playback device available. Works the same on my S3.

Add to that the fact that I can take my movies with me and watch them anywhere, anytime WITHOUT an internet connection.

The iOS App is nice but really falls short because you can only watch on your device, not on a big screen."

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 12:38:12 PM PST
B. Marks says:
I read an article the other day about someone downloading the Boat Browser from Google Play and installing Flash and watching Amazon Prime videos. This can also be done with an older version of the Dolphin browser, although I'm told the current version of Dolphin doesn't support Flash.

Barry

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 2:11:56 AM PST
Matt says:
Release an app for Android, the whole point of the amazon app store and kindle fire is only to sell content since Amazon makes no money on the devices or even loses money in some cases. It makes no sense to limit Amazon's market to just iOS and the kindle fire (an Android wannabe tablet since it can't install apps from Google Play store).

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 11:08:31 AM PST
Will not be renewing my prime subscription next year. Way to screw android users Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:10:00 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
How are they screwing you?? Amazon never said there was an Android app available. If you only get Prime for videos then it is probably a good idea to cancel it. Please read what is available to you when you buy anything. Then you will not feel so entitled and complain when things don't go your way.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 10:31:14 PM PST
There is an instant video app for iphones, but not android phones. This leads me to conclude I should not get a kindle product, since Amazon is not supporting my other android devices. Their decision seems ill-advised to me, since I would consider spending actual money for quality video on a working service with good features. But with all the restrictions imposed by Apple, I will be using android instead for some time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 10:56:37 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 23, 2012 10:58:18 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 7:19:30 AM PST
kerby says:
I too was looking for a way to view instant videos on my Android tablet. Too bad maybe next year.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 8:06:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2012 9:35:17 AM PST
How to stream amazon instant/prime:

http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/22787/streaming-amazon-instant-video-in-hd/36119#36119

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 2:16:30 AM PST
Jack says:
Too funny... "Amazon hates you"

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/12/21/new-app-amazon-finally-releases-instant-video-app-for-google-tv/

@Dan Zimmerman - spot on
@Jazzy_Jeff - as a customer J.J. has every right to complain about the lack of a delivery method to the largest mobile platform on the planet. And while it may not be Amazons fault that flash is going away, Android used to be the capable of playing Amazon content because it could run Flash. It's quite possible that some people made their Amazon / Platform choices because of that comparability. Android devices could stream Amazon content LONG before the iOS app was released.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 5:51:38 PM PST
T. Rodman says:
Have to agree this is pretty silly. Don't most people use Android nowadays?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 5:47:07 PM PST
I agree, Amazon Prime only has value to me if I can use it on my Nexus.

Otherwise when my free month is up I'm done with it.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 9:10:19 PM PST
I LOVE Amazon... I LOVE Google. I'm not going anywhere because Prime is such a great thing for me; I seriously order over half of everything in my life through Amazon. That said I plead to you Amazon to please release an app for Android. My movies and TV have thus far been purchased from you (Most watched on my Roku); but the Play store has gotten SO GOOD; it's pretty friggin amazing to tell the truth.
Because my phone is Android that led me to my wonderful Andoid tablet, and I got a Logitech Google TV on the cheap, and now I see there is no longer a reason to order my video's from Amazon because they have locked out Android.
I truly believe we need BOTH eco systems; but sadly I'm seeing Google getting ready to crush my beloved Amazon! To me Google and Amazon are like two of my children who are wrestling; I don't want either one to really hurt the other. So please Amazon get your stuff together before you lose a huge share of the market.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 4:20:44 AM PST
Bullet Billy says:
Here is a perfect example for Amazon. Today's deal is $5 movies on Amazon Instant Video. I see 6 that I would buy. I want to be able to play them on my Nexus tablet. I can't. End result...$30 lost sale.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 2:15:26 PM PST
I have the Galaxy Note 2 and the Nexus 7 for when I want to buy or rent a video from Google Play. But fortunately I also have the iPad4 for when I want to buy or rent anything from Apple or Amazon. The nice thing about Apple videos is that I can stream them to my tv through the iPad's Airplay function. Can't do that with the Amazon iPad application but I'm finding the nearly 10 inch iPad screen is good enough for all my viewing so most of the time it doesn't matter. The only thing is that HD videos bought from Apple seem to be sharper than HD videos bought from Amazon and watched on the iPad. I like the app, however, because Amazon gives you 48 hours to view a rental as opposed to Apple's 24 hours. I would certainly love to be able to get an Amazon app on my Nexus or phone as there are times I don't want to carry around the iPad--I personally think they'll be coming out with a version for Android devices--there's too much money to be made for them not to. I understand everyone's frustration... I'm lucky to have the choices I do.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 9:18:02 AM PST
BarbATL says:
Worked perfect, thanks!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 62 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle for Android 4.6
33 47 minutes ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update 5.4.5.1
47 3 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 21 days ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 3136 1 minute ago
abbused power 224 3 minutes ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 566 4 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - Wed/Thurs August 20 & 21, 2014 31 5 minutes ago
Reading retention kindle v. paper 17 6 minutes ago
BAAA© Amazing Kindle Books and Helpful Tips #3 2028 9 minutes ago
Kindle HDX problems? 14 10 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  352
Total posts:  1527
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  6 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 54 customers

Search Customer Discussions