Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire Unable to "Hold" a Network Connection

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 52 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 8, 2012 12:27:45 PM PST
Jodotcom says:
My Kindle Fire 1st Generation has suddenly started not being able to hold a connection to my home network. It sees my network, joins it, then almost immediately started searching for an IP Address, and asks for my passphrase. It does this over and over and over and over ... You can sit there and watch it just working itself to death. Unfortunately in the meantion I cannot connect to the interest to read mail, check apps, or visit the internet. It seems to have no trouble delivering new books I'm purchased however. I've done the 30 second reboot to no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 12:31:46 PM PST
Doc Dittie says:
Reset the router by unplugging it for a minute or so. After it's plugged back in, wait for all the lights to stop flashing. Then reboot the Kindle by holding the power switch for 30 seconds. Release the power switch then don't touch the Kindle again until it's back up completely. Then try to connect again. If it still doesn't connect and stay connected, contact Kindle customer service for further troubleshooting, as there may be a hardware failure involving the Kindle itself. Click the blue Help link at the top of this page and then the giant yellow Contact Us button.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 12:32:24 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Also try rebooting your router. With most routers you just need to unplug it for about 45 seconds and then plug it back in. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 12:32:57 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Great minds think alike :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 12:33:57 PM PST
Doc Dittie says:
Such flattery. What is it you want? lol

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 12:43:32 PM PST
C. S. Jones says:
I can always tell it is time to reboot the router when my tablets start having problems retaining the connections (I start seeing the connecting with my network popup showing). Typically the reboot is required about every three weeks.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 12:54:02 PM PST
Jodotcom says:
I was so excited to see your prompt post, Dittie, but I've done that now for the third time. Fire connects immediately, then stops and looks for an IP address, then reconnects, then stops and looks for an IP address; it's done all this while I was just typing it out. I'm having NO trouble with my desktop, wireless keyboard and mouse or my iPhone ... just the Kindle Fire. =*(

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 12:59:32 PM PST
Jodotcom says:
::: trudging off to look for the blue help link and the big yellow button ::: =*(

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 1:01:01 PM PST
Doc Dittie says:
The best thing to do now is contact Kindle customer service for troubleshooting. If it is a Kindle hardware failure, that's who you'll have to deal with about a warranty replacement anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 1:01:29 PM PST
Doc Dittie says:
Top of this page, near the center.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 2:00:08 PM PST
Jodotcom says:
Dittie, you might like to know that I did call customer service. After checking all my router and wireless settings, it was determined that I needed to go to my wireless connections on my Kindle Fire, scroll down past the available networks and select Advanced Settings, then make sure the "Use Static IP" was turned OFF.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 2:02:42 PM PST
Jodotcom says:
I have no idea how it got turned ON after all this time, but that seems to have fixed it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 2:09:35 PM PST
Doc Dittie says:
Thanks for posting the resolution in case someone else has the same problem.

Glad you're back up and running.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 5:20:49 PM PST
Jodotcom says:
Sugar Plum Dittie, I spoke too soon. My Kindle worked for about a day; and now it's looping again and again. Static IP is still turned Off. <sigh>

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:52:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 8:53:10 PM PST
Jodotcom says:
My wireless signal shows as Excellent. My wireless network works great for my iPhone, my Dell desktop computer, my Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse. It's the Kindle Fire that doesn't work right, either here or at other wireless locations. With it being unable to stay connected and continuously looping between "Connected" and "Looking for IP Address", it's becoming useless. =*(

And yes, I've checked out (and rebooted endlessly) my router, my antivirus network information, and my internet provider; they all work perfectly AND they all show my Kindle Fire happily connected. I'm sorry, but the Kindle Fire is broken; and I'm not appreciating being blown off by Amazon. =/

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 9:11:38 PM PST
Exactly when has Amazon blown you off? If you're talking about these forums, we're not Amazon; we're other users (and it would help if you weren't posting the same problem in two different threads). If you're talking about Customer Service, they did provide you with some help. It obviously wasn't enough to solve the problem, but it's hardly "being blown off".

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 3:55:11 AM PST
Jodotcom says:
You are absolutely correct, CBP, usually I'm more forgiving; and Amazon Customer Service reps have been charming and helpful. But this has been going on since early December, and I'm starting to get cranky. Obviously others are having the same problem (the two different threads ... and more threads showing up), yet Amazon is still blaming everyone else. I miss having the use of my Kindle (until after Christmas, when Customer Service plans to call me back). Mea culpa.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 4:57:29 AM PST
NG says:
There is a certain computer manufacturer whose ill- behaved phones and pads needlessly disrupt other users of home networks. Problems start for other tech when they come in the house. Saw it again at my sister's last week.

You have ALL the symptoms. EMI/EMR problems are generally not caused by the device experiencing the disruption.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 5:01:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 5:01:53 AM PST
Jodotcom, there are only three possible explanations for the problems you're having: 1) wireless settings on the device; 2) router problems; or 3) defective device.

It sounds like you've already reset the wireless settings on the device and have eliminated this as a possible cause. Re-check them to be sure they're correct, then move on to the next possibility, router problems.

I've found this to be the most common cause of connection problems and recommend that you try resetting the router to factory defaults. Here's a great video tutorial that explains how to do this:

If this doesn't solve the problem, then there's a problem with the device. Call Kindle support again and have them attempt to talk you through all of their troubleshooting solutions. Their Kindle tech support is usually excellent. If they can't solve your problem and the device is under warranty, they'll send you a replacement unit. There's no reason you should have to wait until after Christmas. If they can't solve the problem over the phone, insist that they replace the unit.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 5:46:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 7:19:30 AM PST
jsh1120 says:

The key to your problem is your comment that "the Kindle Fire...doesn't work right, either here or at other wireless locations." If, in fact, you are absolutely sure that the problem occurs with other networks (e.g. Starbucks, McDonalds, Denny's, etc.) the issue is clearly your device. But you MUST be sure that is true. Otherwise, the chances are about 95% that the problem lies with your router. (It's irrelevant that it works with other devices.)

BTW, wifi routers are bedeviled by many demons. They frequently die slowly, failing to perform with new devices while they continue to work perfectly with existing devices. Users frequently (and understandably) fail to update the firmware in their routers. I realize it is counter-intuitive but when problems arise with one device and not with others it is usually a problem with the router, not the device.

So, if the problem occurs on multiple networks, contact Kindle CS and get another device. Otherwise, purchase a new router from a merchant who will allow you to return it and install the new router beginning with the Kindle KF. Test in that configuration before installing any other device. If it seems to work, connect your other devices one at a time and continue to test until you identify the device that is creating the problem.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 6:30:23 AM PST
jsh, excellent advice. I agree completely and you said it much better than I.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 8:18:28 AM PST
Jodotcom says:
Aha! So if I completely turn off the ill-behaved creature (which I love just as much as I do my Kindle), will the disruption for my Kindle go away? I'll give it a try ...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 8:22:58 AM PST
Doc Dittie says:
Who is your provider?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 8:24:13 AM PST
Jodotcom says:
Actually I already have a new router, but I've been afraid to install it for fear I'd lose access to everything: desktop, laptop, keyboard, mouse, etc. I've always paid someone to set up my network for me. Guess I'll just have to get some courage and go for it!

Thanks, jsh1120, James R. Scarborough, NG and CBP and all of you who helped. Keep your fingers crossed for me; I DO love my Kindle and miss it!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 8:29:18 AM PST
Jodotcom says:
SuddenLink ... I've checked all their network requirements, and I follow them all.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 16 days ago
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 16 days ago
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
This price was set by the publisher 179 31 seconds ago
The Quirkier, The Better! Bring Your Dogs, Cats, Exploding Chickens, So Geese, Fighting Turkeys, Goats, Fluffy Sheep, Cows, Velvet Monkeys, Big Honking Bats, Fishlettes And Cherie! Tally Ho! 530 8 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - October 2015 221 10 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 3485 10 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 5925 13 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 7270 17 minutes ago
Kindle needs repair 26 32 minutes ago
Kindle Cloud Reader not opening 1 36 minutes ago
difficult to return to home page after reading a novel 1 38 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  52
Initial post:  Dec 8, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions