Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Archive

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 2, 2010 7:07:40 PM PDT
Why do items that I delete on the Kindle keep coming back as an archive item?

Posted on Oct 2, 2010 7:11:10 PM PDT
The Artist says:
That's the purpose of the archives, to store the books you've purchased. If you want to completely delete a book from your account, you can do that on your Manage Your Kindle page. If you ever want to read something again after you've deleted it, you'll have to pay for it again, though.

The books on your archive list aren't stored on your Kindle, so they're not taking up any of your device's memory. There's a just a list on your Kindle, the books are stored on Amazon's servers.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2010 8:33:37 PM PDT
@ John, they're not 'coming back', they are stored in Amazon's space. It's just a list you are seeing. If you ever have a family member or friend get a Kindle on your account, then they can share all of the books.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 8:24:45 AM PST
persist says:
Okay, I've owned a wifi kindle couple years and have 100 or so books. I bought the husband a Kindle touch a year ago or so and I he has lots of my books from my archive. I want all the books under my kindle. Its not greedy haha its just that I help him when he wants one (slower reader) and I find it frustrating that he has so many of my books, I try to archive them from his touch which is frustrating. I've tried to do the one by one tedious thing under manage...Ugh.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 8:25:46 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 14, 2012 8:26:04 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:27:00 AM PST
If you share an account, then ALL the books ARE going to be accessible from BOTH Kindles (or, as at my house, 5 Kindles). All of them. You can't let him have some books and not others. Sorry.

But *most* books allow the title to be on as many as *6* devices at a time. So there's no reason that you can't be reading the same book at the same time. Just download it to both Kindles.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:30:58 AM PST
~nospin says:
Go to http://amazon.com/myk to download the books to your kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 10:12:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 10:13:45 AM PST
R. Nelson says:
persist -

The books should only show under the archieve on the touch, unless he has clicked on them to download to the device.

You could do a few things to minimize his access.

1. Clean up the device so only the book(s) he wants to read soon are shown and all others are under the archieve. Then turn off the wifi so he can't download any others from the archieve. Or deregister the device, the books you've download will remain on the Touch. Then when you want to change out books you can register or turn wifi back on. Change out books and then turn off again/de-register again.

2. If you don't want to manually clean up the books to move them to archieve you could reset device to factory defaults. This will completely clean the device of all books. The re-register it to your account and download the books he needs and do one of the two steps above to deactive his access to the cloud.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 11:54:55 AM PST
persist says:
Ugh on all. I went on line and moved the 100 or so to mine one by stinking one. They at least are on mine now and Are just archived to his. I could just deregister I thought and set him up with own account. He doesn't like my library anyway if you don't appreciate Steinbeck...I am just sayin. At least they are archived on mine now too. I just would think amazon who is so fantastic every other way could come up with better solution. Thank you though

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 12:11:21 PM PST
You're confusing the term "Archived". Archived MEANS "not on the Kindle itself, but stored by Amazon."

No matter if a title is on a Kindle or not, it's in your Archive (call that the Library, if you will). You get a certain number of licenses for each title (like a library might have more than one copy). You can have it on your Kindle. He can have it on his Kindle, and you could have it anywhere else, too, like maybe your pc at work to read at lunch.

There's no reason to keep EVERY book you own ON the Kindle (of course, there's no reason not to, either). But it's not necessary. That's what the Archive (Library) is for: to keep your books for you until you WANT them on the Kindle. They stay there, waiting for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 12:26:23 PM PST
This.

Content is controlled by the ACCOUNT, not the DEVICE. The best way to describe the Archive is simply as a purchase history list. Everything in that purchase history for a given Amazon account is available for download to any Kindle device or app that is registered to that account.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 1:08:26 PM PST
persist says:
So my idea of just rue registering it to him if I do nor like him with my archive is still a good plan. He did not like Steinbeck East of Eden for cryin out loud!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:12:38 PM PST
Yes, fine. As long as you're sure that you'd never want to read the same books. If you did, you'd have to buy it twice. But yeah. If you WANT separate accounts, there's no reason you can't do that.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 10 days ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
What book have you read in one sitting? 1 20 seconds ago
Voyage, anyone *not* seeing this display flaw? (image) 122 38 seconds ago
RAOK # 80 - Acts of Kindness Are In the Pipeline™ 2762 2 minutes ago
Gifting Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE to friend in India 0 3 minutes ago
October Informal Poll--what are you reading now? 566 6 minutes ago
Borrow for Free with Prime vs. Kindle Unlimited borrowing? 11 7 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 9425 8 minutes ago
Kindle Fire HDX Dropping WiFi 1630 14 minutes ago

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Oct 2, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions