Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

How to transfer kindle book to a tablet via computer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2012 8:12:20 PM PST
Dragon says:
I am working on a ship, where we do not have wi-fi capability, but do have internet station. I downloaded a free sample book unto my tablet via computer successfully. Now I purchased the full version of the book but after moving the azw file into the folder on my tablet and tried to read it. it tells me it's invalid. The tablet is registered in my kindle account. Why is it invalid? Does amazon doesn't allow wire transfer of a book??

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:25:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 8:26:18 PM PST
A. Dietz says:
You can only download and transfer books to an actual Kindle device, you can't transfer them to a non-Kindle tablet.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 8:26:03 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 13, 2012 8:26:23 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 9:08:20 PM PST
If you downloaded the book for another device or app, it won't be usable on the tablet. I don't think you can download via USB for tablet-type device apps.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 11:01:15 PM PST
T. Cumiskey says:
do you have a cellphone with hotspot capability? does your ship move within range of cell coverage (coastal tenders for example usually do)? you could use that to create your own personal hotspot and download vi wi fi on the kindle from there. or next time you are in port, buy either a wi fi usb stick to create an ad hoc wi fi network on the internet connected pc, or install calibre on the pc (if you can) and sync it to a kindle that way.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:09:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 5:12:55 AM PST
Are you using the Kindle app on your tablet? They're found here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=sv_kstore_1?ie=UTF8&docId=1000493771 and must be registered to the same account as your ebook purchases.

If so, you should be able to re-download the book from Manage My Kindle. Under "Actions", select "download and transfer by usb". When you click on this, you'll be asked which device you'll be reading it on. Select your tablet device from the pop-down list. If you continue to have problems, I suggest you contact Kindle support.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:14:53 AM PST
Lyn says:
In order for the kindle app to work on a tablet you have sync with the Amazon cloud. Once sync'ed, you can read everything you have bought up to that sync.

Tablet. No Wifi. Ouch.

My first choice would be the cellphone with hotspot capability. If you don't have a phone capable of this, maybe one of your shipmates does. It doesn't take that long to do a sync. I have just started using my phone as a personal hotspot so I can now connect to the internet via wifi via my phone. It is great.

My second, would be to download the kindle app for pc onto a pc along with calibre. Import the books into calibre. Convert them to to mobi (kindle). Save them to a folder and transfer to the tablet. If calibre comes back with a "cannot convert" error, then the book is drm protected. You are pretty much out of luck until you can find wifi.

Drm can be broken with calibre but it is best if you have your own computer for this. Google is your friend.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 10:38:50 AM PST
Dragon says:
Thank you all for your suggestions. We are out in the middle of the Pacific. There is no hot spot within a few hundred miles. My tablet is registered in my kindle account, but it is grey out under USB/computer download. I am writing amazon to find out why. the funny thing is that I was able to download a free sample successfully. But the full version, even after I paid for it, was "invalid" when I try to open it on my tablet.
I might just have to wait for another month, after I get home, to read it...sigh....

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 10:43:22 AM PST
Free samples do not have DRM, but whole books generally do. For what device did you download the book?

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 10:53:44 AM PST
I have 15 Kindles, 2 BlackBerries, one laptop and the cloud registered to my account. When I am in Manage Your Kindle and I choose the Transfer via computer option, the new window opens and gives a dropdown menu of the 15 Kindles. The other devices are grayed out. As far as I know, there is no way to use the Transfer via computer option for anything other than actual Kindle devices.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 4:26:11 PM PST
Dragon says:
Got an official reply from kindle support, that the function of transferring kindle book via USB/computer to device(s) other than kindle is not available at this point. This is pretty disappointed. But they said they will work on it!! I sure hope they do.
But thank you all again

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:36:23 PM PST
A. Dietz says:
Which is exactly what I said in the second post in this discussion that someone decided they didn't like and downvoted.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2013 5:02:33 PM PST
Jeff Lanman says:
Amazonn just fired themselves

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2014 6:52:45 AM PDT
They had damned well better "work on it". I get books from lots of places, and own a Kindle and a Samsung Galaxy 5 "media player". For my uses, the Samsung is simply a much better e-reader device than my Kindle (mostly because it is smaller). I fail to see why I should suffer because of Amazon's stupidity.

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 12:11:46 PM PDT
"Got an official reply from kindle support, that the function of transferring kindle book via USB/computer to device(s) other than kindle is not available at this point. This is pretty disappointed. But they said they will work on it!! I sure hope they do." Nov 14, 2012

Since it is Sept 22, 2014 apparently 'said they will work on it' was another AMAZON LIE.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 Dec 15, 2014
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
amazon Echo 1723 23 seconds ago
Amazon Instant Video App (iPhone) 64 1 minute ago
How do i automatically get a book to download into my Kindle instead of the Cloud? 3 1 minute ago
kindle won't connect with wi-fi 186 1 minute ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Super Hero Sisters, Panama, Many Furry Friends, Featuring Fat Jane the Spanx Wearing Goat, and Cherie! It's the Apocalypse! 1936 1 minute ago
book download 6 4 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 5002 4 minutes ago
Angry Customers? 170 6 minutes ago
Can you disable screen-touch-to-turn on Voyage? 178 6 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 23, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions