Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Missing Enter key on Kindle Fire

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 54 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 23, 2011 11:04:24 AM PST
I hope I'm missing something, but I can't find the Enter key on my new Kindle Fire. Without the Enter key, there are a whole lot of Android apps that won't run. If true, this is very bad news for Amazon.

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 11:07:11 AM PST
Brie says:
Bottom row, next to the period key. It's an arrow to the left with a hook at the end. Same symbol that should be on your enter key on your keyboard.

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 11:08:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2011 11:09:04 AM PST
Logician says:
And people say Best Buy charging people set-up the Fire is a rip-off.

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 1:02:58 PM PST
NG says:
Look for it to change its name (e.g. to go) on occasion when appropriate.

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 9:22:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2011 9:30:45 PM PST
Mona Oliver says:
Bad news is, the Enter key is *not* always there. For this kind of text box, yes. A search input, yes. For some app pop-up dialogs with text input but no submit button, no.

It will need to be addressed at some point.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 6:03:12 PM PST
There are many times when the enter key isn't there.

Having a poor input method with no alternatives is probably the Fire's biggest weakness. FlexT9 and Swype should be supported.

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 7:47:53 PM PST
dd9000 says:
It's a real problem. The Fire keyboard apparently wants to be smart, showing the enter key or the go key as needed. But it isn't smart enough. Try adding a speed dial or creating a bookmarks folder with opera. Impossible. Enter key
should always be present.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 9:22:15 PM PST
Peter says:
I am simply trying to enter a wifi passcode, there is neither an "enter" key or a "next" key. I am sure there is a slick way to input the wifi passcode without an "enter" or a "next" key, but I really don't want to spend the next ten minutes figuring out a simple command like this.

Little too cute for its own good methinks.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 9:38:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2011 9:39:44 PM PST
Peter says:
OK, my problem was holding the kindle fire in the landscape (horizontal) position, when doing so and attempting to enter a password for a wifi connection for the first time, the virtual keyboard was hiding the "connect" button, which became visible after I randomly tilted the kindle fire into the portrait (vertical) position.

The option of an "enter" key would have saved me this trial and error, and the ten plus minutes I wasted attempting to execute a very simple command.

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 6:57:04 PM PST
So where is the D.... enter key....I've tried both horizontal and vertical positions and cannot access Wife with my password b/c I can't find the "key"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 7:10:27 PM PST
It is the arrow key next to the space bar.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 9:15:06 AM PST
The intermittent return key is a BIG problem. There are simply too many situations in which the app does not have its own 'proceed' function and depends on return key. I think Amazon needs to address this on two fronts - - first, fix a return key on at least one of the rotating key layouts in the default keyboard. Second, allow the installation of alternate Android keyboards.

There are many alternate Android keyboards available - I personally think Swype is the most productive - however, Amazon has made it impossible (at least without rooting the device) to install an alternate keyboard in the current version of the Fire OS .... let me clarify. You CAN install the code for an alternate keyboard, but the means of switching to another installed keyboard is the Android Input Method control. Amazon has LOCKED this control to ONLY show the Fire's default keyboard. I'm really not even sure why they even bothered to display this control when there is no means of changing its selection.

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 7:38:33 AM PST
I have the same problem too. Sometimes a website needs a carriage return to proceed. The latest example is using Autocad WS. If you try to markup a drawing with a text note, there is no way to hit enter to add the note. a carriage return somewhere on one of the alternate keyboards is needed badly. Here is a real productivity app that can be used by technical people and it is hobbled by the keyboard. I really do not want to root my Fire for this simple problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 7:51:09 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 28, 2012 10:14:22 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 10:30:05 PM PST
No, but no matter: I resolved the problem by adding a "Done" button.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 11:34:33 PM PST
TuxGirl says:
Could also just use the "hide keyboard" button.

that said, I do have *1* app (ConnectBot) that is affected by not having an enter key, and it is frustrating. Granted, it isn't technically supported by the Fire (side-loaded), but aside from the lack of the enter key, it should work...

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 10:04:55 AM PST
J Arthur says:
TO AMAZON...please add the Enter key to the standard keyboard layout in the next update. Several apps will not work without the Enter key and it's a normal function of a real keyboard.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 12:56:24 PM PST
Here it is February and still no fix for the wandering Enter key... Please people, I would love to quash this rising buyers remorse building in gut. At least tell us something is in the works!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 1:01:05 PM PST
Why don't you address it to Amazon via feedback? This is the customer discussion forum, not a tech support forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 8:19:50 AM PST
Baruski says:
How did you add the done button?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 5:55:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2012 5:55:53 PM PDT
got to get says:
Is there awayto add a replacement button

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 8:49:31 PM PDT
N. Kysar says:
We are furious. We're traveling with a 2 month old Kindle Fire and there is only 2 rows of a keyboard, no enter key, and nothing that would even help a major telephone company's very polite and helpful tech support person enter the modem password at our friend's home so we could get on their Wireless.

We called Amazon and the first person couldn't speak English. We politely told her that we needed to speak with someone else so we could better understand their English. She said that was impossible.What a sham!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:16:37 PM PST
Yellowkid says:
An arrow with a hook??????? not on mine ?? I 'm trying to add my regular email account but there doesn't seem to be any way to "enter" it when I'm done??

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:26:55 PM PST
Is there a Done button or Go button?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:28:19 PM PST
Close the keyboard and look for a direct breadcrumb to continue.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
June Informal Poll -- What are you reading? 200 4 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 1706 7 minutes ago
Which Kindle Voyage font shows the most text per page 4 18 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 8705 21 minutes ago
85° and Sunny - A Perfect Day to RAOK! 9719 28 minutes ago
how do i find the total number of books on my kindle fire 5 36 minutes ago
How to use Echo as desktop PC speaker 46 45 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 9560 48 minutes ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 5620 1 hour ago
zane grey megapack fails 3 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  41
Total posts:  54
Initial post:  Nov 23, 2011
Latest post:  May 10, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions