Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Why is not Amazon store for Latin America? we are a lot of users

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2012 7:05:08 PM PST
Danny Suarez says:
I just recently bought a KINDLE FIRE HD at Amazon.com I am from ecuador in SouthAmerica, I cannot use any of the Apps, neither buy movies since Im a movie-holic I'd like to enjoy buying and watching movies from AMAZON.COM as well as buying apps. I have no complaints about the book because I just bought onee. Why Amazon lets us buy book but not movie or apps.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:10:28 PM PST
Amazon does not sell or ship the Kindle Fire to South America because it cannot legally sell you content there. They can only sell you books because that is the only thing the have the legal right to sell you in your country.

Currently, the Kindle Fire is only sold and supported in the US, UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain and Japan, because those are the only countries that Amazon has the legal right to sell additional content to.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 12:47:34 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
there is one in Brazil and it looks like population matters as far as opening stores:

US = 314 million potential readers
Australia = 22 million
Canada = 34 million (just opened a kindle store)
the UK = 62 million (has store)
France = 65 million (has store)
Germany = 81 million (has store)
Spain = 46 million (has store)
Italy = 59 million (has store)
India = 1 billion (just opened a Kindle Store according to some news reports)
Japan = 127 million (just opened Kindle Store last month)
Brazil = 193 million (just opened a kindle store)
South Africa = 50 million
Sweden: 9 million
Ireland: 6 million

I'd expect South Africa and Australia to be in the fourth wave of Kindle Stores and maybe the Philippines and they can't open one for all of Latin America because the countries have different regulations concerning digital sales

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 12:54:32 AM PST
Trade treaties, copyright law treaties, and population, all play a part.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 1:16:46 AM PST
Old Rocker says:
China just got a store but it's now mired down in permits and licensing issues. Brought up after Amazon was assured all paperwork had been approved. Surely it has nothing to do with the wind turbine below cost dumping scandal in China.

In Latin America there is Venezuela who would never allow such open access to books and services. Then there is Bolivia involved investigating and maneuvering to clean up corruption and what amounts to high seas piracy. Translation - throw as few to the wolves as possible and not start a coup.

In the Philippines, having lived there, I know there will be issues with intellectual property piracy. I'm not criticizing - I love the Philippines, but it is what it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:20:44 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
thanks - I forgot to add China to my list

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:33:44 AM PST
Old Rocker says:
well, it was up for two weeks and now shut down for irregularities. Might be a government shakedown to show who is boss, an effort to make Amazon look bad against the 4 activeChinese ebook sellers, or possibly even an actual compliance issue where someone screwed up.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
77 9 hours ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
[You are ignoring the customer who started this discussion] 9795 1 minute ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 1124 3 minutes ago
raok 77 - a glimpse of heaven? 6524 4 minutes ago
Web browsing won't show pictures 7 5 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put a Stelvin Closure on Your Tequila Arm and Prepare for the Apocalypse! Grab the Midnight Goats, Orange Loving Cows, Cat and Dog Overlords of the Universe, Plus Cherie! So Geese! 9192 5 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 3325 6 minutes ago
My kindle fire has no sound and the volume is turned up 258 7 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 1594 13 minutes ago
Can you block certain words 584 13 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions