Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Question for those who have kept their cloudy paperwhite

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2012 5:20:07 PM PST
Diana Berry says:
I got my Paperwhite. I do have a shadow that is really noticeable between the 3rd and 4th light at the bottom. I had already read the boards so this wasn't a surprise.

I looked at my kindle touch with the clip on light and realized that I do love the backlight.

Question, for those that have kept their paperwhites with the problems. Do you stop seeing the shadow after a while? Does your mind just stop thinking about it? Right now it kind of bugs me. I have until 1/31 to return. I would love to hear your responses. Thanks

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 5:24:04 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
I hardly notice the shadow at the bottom of the paperwhite anymore when I am reading. I set the light to just enough to read by for the lighting conditions.

You will get use to it after awhile.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 5:45:01 PM PST
I don't notice any shadow on the screen. I can read just as fast as ever, and I don't have to worry about using my external light that I use on my older Kindles.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:48:50 PM PST
Kieri says:
I stop noticing it after a few minutes of reading.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 10:18:53 PM PST
The PW is front-lit, not back-lit.

The "shadows" at the bottom of the screen of my PW don't show up in bright light at all. In dimmer light they are so faint that they just don't register with me while I'm reading.

On the bright side, if someone has a cloudy Kindle they have a chance of meatballs too...

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 12:59:52 AM PST
Jay says:
The shadows are the result of physics. The light comes from several different sources, and their beams cross...cancelling each other out in spots. The shadows are 'interference patterns'. You can't get rid of them, but your eye/mind can adjust enough to them that you no longer notice them so much.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 7:50:20 AM PST
R. D. Clark says:
I have a first-week PW. I've now read a dozen books on it. It rocks. Is the screen perfectly uniform? I've stopped caring or noticing, the same way I no longer notice "black flashes." My biggest problem with the PW is that it won't change fonts on certain books that should not be font-locked (such as a .mobi from Baen Books).

I don't like the way Amazon hyped the PW as achieving a level of perfection that it in fact does not. I think lying is a bad thing that shouldn't be rewarded. But I'm not Amazon's mommy.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 10:09:23 AM PST
saraf says:
I love mine! No, I should say WE love OURS! My hubby and I both have one. I've read at least 20 books on it so far and look forward to reading many, many more. He's read quite a lot on his too. The light seems fine to me, the little inconsistency at the bottom of the screen never did bother either of us. My Kindle Touch would have been sold already if only the PW had sound so I could throw some of my Audible books on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:19:31 AM PST
This could just be my mind playing tricks on me, but I could swear that the shadows at the bottom of my PW have gotten lighter since I first got it. Or maybe my brain is just pulling a fast one on me. Either way, they don't bother me at all.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 10:23:36 AM PST
Heh. Cloudy Paperwhite sounds like a Bond villain.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:33:04 AM PST
saraf says:
That was Stormy Paperwhite. Scantily clad heroine in Amazonraker.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 5:51:07 PM PST
Mary McManus says:
I've had my paperwhite since Amazon made the first shipment. I don't even see the cloudy part any more unless I actively look for it. And why would I? I got it to read on and it is working great for that.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:08:30 PM PST
Diana Berry says:
This is giving me hope that this may work out. Thanks for the responses.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 1:20:15 PM PST
John D says:
I have read dozens of books on my Paperwhite, and I do not notice the shadows at all. That is, when I am reading. If I am just looking for shadows I can find them.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 1:27:48 PM PST
Diana Berry says:
Also, I've been reading some comments on other threads. Say they do correct this problem by say having a bigger light --that will probably make it heavier and more expensive. So you kind of have to weigh the good and the bad.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 1:33:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 1:36:39 PM PST
DinDC says:
I've had my PW for two months and don't notice the shadows at all when reading. As John D. noted, I only see the shadows if I make a point to look for them. This is my 3rd Kindle ereader,, and it's by far the best. However, you need to do what's right for you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions