Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Glare on Kindle Fire

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2012 8:48:22 AM PST
I received my new Kindle Fire a few days ago after upgrading from the Kindle with the keypad. Loved my old Kindle and really wish I had kept it. The Kindle Fire has a big problem with glare which makes it harder to read. There was no glare at all with my older Kindle even on bright days on the beach. It's also harder to find the books I haven't read on my Kindle from the books I have read. If you're looking for a tablet you would probably be getting a good deal but if you are looking for an e-reader I would go with one of the other ones.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:51:09 AM PST
GnomeEd says:
Well yeah. The Fire has a back lit screen just like any other tablet. The other kindles are ereaders with eInk screens.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:52:20 AM PST
PJ says:
Fay, the Fire is backlit like a laptop or other tablet as the product page describes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:03:30 AM PST
The Fire was never marketed as an upgrade, but rather a completely different device.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:06:55 AM PST
Mike says:
What would you expect? It's a tablet!

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 9:09:58 AM PST
I have both a KK and a Fire HD. As regards the glare, I thought it would be a problem, but it really isn't. I changed the display from WHITE to SEPIA and I adjust the brightness as necessary. I haven't had a problem with the glare since and I use it outside every day during lunch hour and smoke breaks. Maybe this would help you too?

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 9:26:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 9:30:02 AM PST
ReaderGirl says:
It is a bit of an adjustment going from e-ink to back lighting. But well worth it!!!! You could try putting a matte screen protector on the Fire and see if that reduces the glare to your satisfaction. I started with the K2, currently have the first Kindle Fire, and am eagerly awaiting my Fire HD 8.9" which is due to be delivered today.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:55:12 AM PST
Right. It's not an e-reader. It's a tablet (computer) with a reading app installed on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:03:35 AM PST
Though I DO prefer reading my books on my Kindle Keyboard, I really don't mind reading the Kindle Fire outside that much. I usually take the Fire when I pick up my daughter from work in the afternoons, and while waiting in the car, even with some glare from the sun, I find setting the book's page to Sepia, and increasing the Fire's brightness setting, I can read or play games with little difficulty.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 11:53:49 AM PST
I forget ... I think it was someone with mac-degen or maybe cataracts ... but they suggested changing the Fire display for books to white lettering on a black background, and I've tried that.

I find I quite like it. With the brightness adjusted to as minimum as possible, it's rather nice. The mostly-black screen, while still "lit", almost goes away, and the only bright portion are the words themselves.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 12:02:14 PM PST
Thanks. I haven't tried the white text on black on the Fire yet, because I dislike web pages on the computer screen like that. But that may be nice in the sun with the Fire. I'll have to try it. Not today, though. It's very cloudy and rather gloomy out there today; I hope I make it back before the rain comes in, because most Arizona people seem to not know how to drive in the rain. lol

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2013 12:35:02 PM PDT
How to reset to Delhi's & back?

Posted on May 13, 2013 12:38:41 PM PDT
Screen shields

Recently bought a screen shield BUT not sure if would help or hinder on
My kindle fire?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2012
Latest post:  May 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions