Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Does kindle fire support arabic language

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 26, 2012 1:43:29 AM PDT
Does kindle fire support arabic language

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 2:05:32 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
I don't think so. I think that none of the Kindles support any right-to-left script, only Roman with various extensions, Cyrillic, Greek and (with imperfect coverage) East Asian scripts in CJK (China, Japan, Korea) Unicode group.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 2:25:00 AM PDT
Q: What languages do the new devices support?
A: The new Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD currently supports US English. In the coming weeks, a new free software update will enable customers to set their device default language to one of six languages, including English (US), English (UK), German, French, Italian, and Spanish. Free dictionaries for each language will also be available. This software update will be delivered automatically to your Kindle Fire.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna/ref=kindle_help_forum_md_pl?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1GLDPZMNR1X53&cdMsgID=Mx3GVLK7N149CUJ&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx1WEM06OFQ59MC#Mx3GVLK7N149CUJ

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 2:53:00 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Ah, you mean user interface. I interpreted OP as pertaining to content.

Well, anyway, the answer is "no"...

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 3:00:33 AM PDT
Thanks to everyone who helped me by answering my question.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 7:33:44 AM PDT
I was planning on buying one, thanks for the post.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 12:28:57 PM PDT
Mohanna says:
not supporting RTL specially arabic language will cost amazon to lose the middle east countries with their strong buying power.

Foolish mistake from such a big company :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 12:33:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 20, 2012 12:34:26 PM PDT
Paxton says:
I think the best any company can do is to incrementally improve a product. The Kindle to begin with was a major new product. It was first available in the US, then Canada, South America, UK and most of the world. Things started with English and then moved forward with Spanish, French, German, Russian, etc. Arabic and Hebrew will probably be added. I think you have to admit that there has been steady and extremely fast improvements and add-ons. I'm not sure this progress would be called foolish.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 2:06:23 AM PST
i am not interested in typing in arabic but would like to be able to browse arabic websites. if i knew that it doesnt read it, i would have bought an ipad instead. any new solution for that soon???

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 2:09:52 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
being that amazon currently does not sell any kindles or kindle content to arabic countries, it's likely that a lot of other changes have higher priorities

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 2:14:21 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 15, 2012 12:57:02 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 2:14:37 AM PST
Considering how the Middle East countries actually don't permit Amazon to sell Kindle content and devices, Amazon has no incentive to support...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 12:13:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 12:14:54 AM PST
Mohanna says:
If they progressed, one question bro. why until now the kindle fire (the old one) doesn't support RTL lang. until now. Do you call that progressive ?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 12:17:26 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 15, 2012 12:57:24 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:11:19 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
Mohanna, perhaps this hints at reasons why Amazon does not consider Middle East such a lucrative market yet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_in_Saudi_Arabia#Internet

I know this is the extreme example, but, trust me, Amazon would very much like to sell Kindle devices and content wherever they can. To be fair, government censorship is probably not the only reason, but also lack of content licensed for particular territory.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:43:21 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
What would you know, Silk *does* render Arabic!

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 3:51:34 PM PST
Pete, actually it is obvious for me that you can't read arabic & u translated the thing & copy pasted it as if you check any arabic website on kindle fire hd, you can see the letters but not in a readable way. in order that you understand what I am saying imagine what I just wrote was without spaces.. would you be able to read it or enjoy checking it... here's a test for you which is the same paragraph as you just read it but in an impossible hard way top read:

Pete,actuallyitisobviousformethatyoucan'treadarabic&utranslatedthething©pasteitasifyoucheckanyarabicwebsiteonkindlefirehd,youcanseetheletterbutnotinareadableway.inorderthatyouunderstandwhatIamsayingimaginewhatIjustwrotewaswithoutspaces..wouldyoubeabletoreaditorenjoycheckingit...here'satestforyouwhichisthesameparagraphasyoujustreaditbutinanimpossiblehardwaytopread:

In my case I nead to be able to read, I don't want to write as I am not used to write or type in arabic & it will take me an hour to type a 5 lines thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 6:36:24 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 15, 2012 12:57:39 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 6:40:50 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 15, 2012 12:57:40 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 2:32:42 PM PST
www.tayyar.org
www.aljazeera.net

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 2:38:24 PM PST
I don't agree with you Pete on your last quote. it is a system failure (software) & not a thing related to the sites. I have an IPAD, an IPHONE, a MACBOOK PRO & A windows PC... I don't have any problem with any of these. My problem is only with the KINDLE FIRE HD... I regret buying it now especially after APPLE had launched IPAD-mini. The reason I bought Kindle is bcz it is a 7" & by the time I bought it, there wasn't IPAD-mini.
For me, I can deal with all the inconveniences found (versus IPAD, especially for compatibility & functions) but it is really a failure for Kindle if they don't upgrade their software in order to read ARABIC & other languages very soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:03:09 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 15, 2012 12:57:59 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:54:56 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 15, 2012 12:58:00 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 12:57:06 AM PST
Pete 1 question. Do you understand arabic or read arabic? I doubt.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 1:01:26 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 15, 2012 12:58:02 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  Sep 26, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions