Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Tired of Paying a Premium for Kindle eBooks - Are you Serious?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2012 7:24:31 AM PST
K. Hopkins says:
I am really tired of paying so much for Kindle eBooks. I find out that Amazon is offering 40% off for all the books on their 2012 Editor's list but guess what...doesn't apply to the eBook version. $12.99 - eBook and $15.70 hard cover. Seriously? You're driving me away Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:27:31 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Don't buy them then. Amazon also has sales on ebooks from time to time that does not cover the paper copy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:28:47 AM PST
Cassie Anne says:
So you're complaining that the ebook isn't cheap enough? Or that Amazon is discounting the paper book? Not quite sure what you're upset about...

In many cases, the publishers set the price of the ebook, and Amazon can't discount it.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:30:38 AM PST
Denise Long says:
o.k.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:31:18 AM PST
Dittie says:
If you want the hardcover, buy that. If there's some particular reason you don't want the hardcover, what's the point of comparing the prices of a product you do want with a product you don't want?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:31:24 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
The Kindle version is $12.99 and the Hardcover is $15.70?
How are you paying a premium for the Kindle version?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:36:49 AM PST
YG49 says:
"I am really tired of paying so much for Kindle eBooks."
Easy solution...don't buy them.
I wish all problems were this easy to solve.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:51:59 AM PST
Anne Shirley says:
Go, then. Buh -byee.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:53:40 AM PST
K. Hopkins says: "Seriously? You're driving me away Amazon."

Driving you away to where? Until all the lawsuits are complete or the settlements all agreed to by the courts, that will be the case for every eBook reseller because they are not the ones who set the ebook prices and therefore can't put them on sale.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:59:27 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
the ebook price will go down when the paperback is released

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 8:01:47 AM PST
It has nothing to do with Amazon. Complain to the publisher. They set the e-book prices, not Amazon. Your anger is seriously misplaced.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 8:02:53 AM PST
pjf says:
put these ebooks on your wish list on amazon, go to ereaderiq.com, import your wish list into their price drops feature, and they will send you an email when the book you want drops to the price you want to purchase it at.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 8:03:52 AM PST
I really hate when my gas station lowers the price of diesel, but not unleaded. IT'S SO UNFAIR!!!1!!!

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 8:04:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 8:39:23 AM PST
Miss M says:
K. Hopkins,
There are trade-offs to everything in life. On Cyber Monday, I bought close to 100 sale books from a couple of the major digital publishers, for $2-3 each. They weren't current NYT bestsellers, but they were from very well-respected authors, including many out of print mystery writers. I couldn't even get 'clean' paper copies of those if I wanted.
Buying that many at one shot is something I would probably never be able to do with brand-new paper books - especially since if I added that many to my already existing library, the floor in my study would end up collapsing! ;)

Because of the current state of publishing/retailing contracts, Amazon has control over setting paper book prices, but not (yet) over most e-book prices. Google e-book pricing to get a history of what's going on.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 8:04:49 AM PST
T. Cannon says:
I've also noticed that when movies are discounted that the books they are based upon are not given a similar discount. And sometimes the other way around the book is discounted and no discount on the movie. Or sometimes they discount them both but in differnet amounts. IT'S MADNESS. The only fair thing is for Amazon to discount ALL products by the same percentage everyday. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 8:20:54 AM PST
R. D. Clark says:
Kindle e-books are a premium product. So even if your thesis were valid (it's not) charging premium prices would be fair.

Why are they a premium product?

1. They're more portable. The market demonstrates that things that are smaller and easier to carry are worth more money.

2. They're more environmentally friendly. The market demonstrates that "green is gold."

3. They're trendy and fashionable. 'Nuff said.

4. They work with apps. Anything app-related is work more money.

It's amazing that they don't cost more.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 8:36:07 AM PST
I was angry when eBook prices seemed to be climbing back in 2010. I too, was ready to jump to a competitor. Then I learned that it wasn't Amazon but the publishers and the competitors prices were just as high.

In some ways I'm actually thankful to the publishers for pricing the "top sellers" out of my reach. It caused me to look for alternatives and boy were my eyes opened up. I rarely pay more than $7.99 for a book anymore. If a new book comes out that is priced higher than I am willing to pay, I wait for the paperback release. The ebook price usually comes down at that time and I have plenty of books to read in the mean time. I read 2 or 3 books a week and my TBR list is still growing.

Over the past 2+ years I've come to realize that the "best sellers" are not necessarily the best books. 50 Shades of CaCa comes to mind.

Find the forum for a genre you like and start reading some of the posts. You will find great recommendations and probably some books you would never have considered.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 8:48:57 AM PST
Lamb says:
This is the first useful response to the original thread regarding expensive Kindle books. I agree that the ebooks are now nearly same as hardcopies. When I got my first Kindle, they ran around 6.99-8.99, tops. Now they're running 12.99+. Publisher wouldn't be selling half the books they are if not for Kindles, Nooks, Kobo and all other ereaders.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 8:59:26 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
They used to cost more. I remember back before Amazon started selling ebooks that a lot of the new releases sold for over $20 a copy.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 9:03:39 AM PST
Neil Shapiro says:
The idea that prices on ebooks are somehow equivalent to the ticket prices to movie versions of a novel or that they are a completely divorced category from the hardcover and thus should be priced at their own price point divorced from hardcover pricing is an argument I do not agree with at all. The flow chart of ebook production is congruent to that of the hardcover at almost every point up until distribution. At that point the ebook adds being converted into a file (an almost automatic process now given the electronic typesetting of the hardcover most publishers use) and being uploaded to various venues while the hardcover must be physically printed and sent out via trucks and other non-cyber transportation. If anything the hardcover is more expensive to produce and to distribute resulting in less of a profit than the ebook. So if a hardcover goes on sale (as was the point in the original post) I agree it is only just to feel that the ebook should go an some sort of equivalent or even deeper sale price. Whether the "blame" lies with the publisher or the distributor (it is the publisher under present models) does not change the basic theorem that the ebook price and the hardcover price should be related. They are NOT different products, certainly not to the extent that movies are from books!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 9:11:28 AM PST
R. D. Clark says:
Your argument that they are not different products collapses under one simple fact: there is virtually 0% overlap in who buys them. Markets define products.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 9:12:04 AM PST
You assume that sales price should be a function of cost, which is BS. Especially for luxury items, which books are, sales price is more dependent on what the market will bear than on actual cost.

Plus you forget to include cost of server farms to host the cloud, IT support for people who can't manage to download books,... In short, no-one has ever managed to prove that production costs for ebooks are lower than for other books.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 9:14:49 AM PST
Bottom line.........if anyone feels that the digital price is too expensive, don't buy it. There are other options for the DTB versions.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 9:35:05 AM PST
Anne Shirley says:
No one "has" to own an e-reader and purchase e-books. One *chooses* to do so. With that choice comes certain realities which should have been investigated *before* purchase of the device. I wouldn't dream of complaining that I HAVE to have an iPad (or a Benz) so the companies that produce them just "should" make them affordable to me, because in my opinion they're making too much profit anyway. The world owes me! NOT. Don't want to pay the prices of e-books? Don't buy an e-reader in the first place. If you have bought one, return it. Because as far as e-book prices, they are what they are. Live with it or sell/return your e-reader & buy used paperbacks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 9:37:47 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Cost of production is only one factor in calculating retail price.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 73 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.5
8 1 hour ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
One book a month free library 0 2 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - Wed/Thurs Sept 17 & 18, 2014 209 4 minutes ago
Which Kindle to buy? 0 4 minutes ago
Delivery Date of Kindle Vayage 1 6 minutes ago
Broken kindle screen 218 7 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 3366 8 minutes ago
Petition for international release of Kindle Voyage SOON! 2 11 minutes ago
Kindle Voyage Missing Features 8 12 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  85
Total posts:  1805
Initial post:  Dec 3, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions