Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

4g Cost

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2012 12:10:45 PM PST
Does the cost of connecting to 4g remain $49 a year after the first year

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:14:34 PM PST
Probably not. It's a one year promotional price. After the first year, AT&T prevailing plans and rates will probably apply.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:16:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 12:17:36 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
Nope. After the first year it will be AT&Ts standard rates.

The Product page clearly states the $50 is for the first year only.

Groundbreaking 4G LTE Package
Amazon worked closely with AT&T to offer the most affordable 4G tablet data package. This 12 month AT&T 4G data package includes 250MB a month of blazing fast data, 20GB of additional Cloud Drive storage, and a $10 Amazon Appstore promotional credit, all for a one-time payment of only $49.99, with no monthly payments required. The $49.99 package is only available for the first year of service. If you need more data, additional 3GB and 5GB data plans from AT&T are also available for purchase. You can sign up for a data plan right from your device.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:35:57 PM PST
Any idea what standard rates are?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 1:04:09 PM PST
jsh1120 says:
Check the AT&T website for their current data packages for tablets. Last time I checked the lowest tier was about $15 per month.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 1:07:16 PM PST
Just Peachy says:
AT&T website currently says 3GB is $30 per month and 5GB is $50 per month.
Then you pay $10 per GB over your plan each month.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 4:46:31 PM PST
A. Dietz says:
From the Kindle Help pages:

Can I get more details about the data plan for the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE Wireless model?

AT&T is the carrier for 4G LTE service on the Kindle Fire HD 8.9'. If you're not currently an AT&T customer, you'll create a new account with AT&T on your Kindle Fire to use the service.

The $49.99 plan for the first 12 months of service includes 250MB a month of data, plus:

20GB of additional Cloud Drive storage
a free $10 Amazon Appstore promotional credit
The $49.99 package is only available in the U.S. International roaming plans are available directly from AT&T. After the first year, you can choose and purchase a data plan directly from AT&T.

If you want more than 250MB a month in the first year, you can choose to purchase 3GB or 5GB plans on your Kindle Fire in addition to the $49.99 plan.

Based on the latest pricing from AT&T, the price plans are $30 for 3GB and $50 for 5GB. For the most up-to-date information, view the pricing plans directly at AT&T's website.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=201022380#4G

In addition, we've been asked to pass this information along about the data plans:

*Overages - This is a prepaid plan. When a customer reaches their 250MB limit, they will receive a message letting them know they can either wait until the following month, or upgrade their plan to a 3GB or 5GB plan. There will be no overage charges.

*Restrictions - To prevent the data from being used in one sitting or accidentally, there are some restrictions to the data usage. They include:

-Downloads over 50MB from Appstore, Amazon MP3, Amazon Instant Video (AIV), Audible, or the Kindle Store require a Wi-Fi connection to complete.
-Transitioning from Wi-Fi to cellular (e.g. customer leaves home Wi-Fi network) when downloading an item over 50MB will result in the download stopping and asking the customer to connect to Wi-Fi to complete it.
-Transitioning from Wi-Fi to cellular when streaming AIV content will result in the stream stopping and asking the customer to connect to Wi-Fi to continue watching.

*Customers may see a restriction to their AIV streaming, this restriction will be removed with a software update once the device is connected via wireless and has at least a 40% charge.

*If a Wi-Fi network is recognized by your device and you're in range, it will connect to it automatically.

*When you're connected to the 4G network, the status bar will display the AT&T logo, the network type, and the network signal strength bars. If you're connected to Wi-Fi, the mobile network type will not be displayed.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 5:04:03 PM PST
leo clark says:
about how much time on 4g before you use up 250mb i mean how many mb for an hour and half movie?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 5:06:36 PM PST
GnomeEd says:
Way more than 250MB!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 5:11:58 PM PST
monilee says:
Thanks for this post. Iwas worried about going over by mistake and being on 4G by mistake instead of wireless. You've answered all my questions. I can't wait to get notice that it's shipped :)

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 5:13:54 PM PST
M. Alexander says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 5:16:15 PM PST
So don't. Why even bother commenting?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 5:21:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 5:21:32 PM PST
Cassie Anne says:
The 250 MB per month is meant to be a supplement to wi-fi connectivity. Not a replacement for wi-fi.

If you don't think it's worth it, don't buy a 4G Fire. Or pay for a different data plan.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 5:22:30 PM PST
A. Dietz says:
You probably won't be able to stream any movies over 4G. As I indicate in my post above, there is a 50MB cap on streaming video, over that and you have to use WiFi. Most full-length movies are going to be way over 50 MB.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:11:13 PM PST
M. Alexander says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:26:10 PM PST
Mike says:
M. Alexander. Worthless? Hardly. With NetZero 4G Hotspot, I get 200 MB of data a month for no cost, for the first 12 months. Thereafter, it will be $10 per month for 500 MB per month. I have been using it for maybe 3 months now and have never run out of MB. I surf; check, receive and send email; read news sites; check the stocks; Google; etc. I have access to the Internet whenever I want it and have never hit the limit. Of course, I wait until I have WiFi access before doing anything heavy duty.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:27:02 PM PST
Not everyone's needs are the same. What your needs are could just as easily be considered ridiculous and worthless by some one else.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:44:37 PM PST
R. D. Clark says:
According to HTTP Archive, the average web page has now topped 1249kb. So you could browse to about 200 such pages in a month with a 250MB plan.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:23:11 PM PST
King Al says:
No, it's not. I have the 250 MB plan on my iPad. I web browse via 4G daily and have never gone over.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:28:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 7:29:10 PM PST
A. Dietz says:
M., please see my post above yours detailing the 4G plan, there are no overage charges in the 250MB plan.

*Overages - This is a prepaid plan. When a customer reaches their 250MB limit, they will receive a message letting them know they can either wait until the following month, or upgrade their plan to a 3GB or 5GB plan. There will be no overage charges.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 8:39:15 PM PST
M. Alexander says:
A Dietz, That is good to know. Thanks for the info. I guess I should have looked it up before I ran my mouh.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:40:19 PM PST
monilee says:
Over past month with hurricane and later noreaster we were without landline phone and wifi for about a week. Only used 80 mb on my phone for calls ,email, and web browsing for the month. I will be very happy to have those 250mb when needed.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 3:07:42 PM PST
Can you just use your WiFi from home and not have to pay AT&T? It's very confusing to me. I just bought a Kindle Fire HD 7" Duel Band WiFi 16gb and never considered I would have to pay so much to connect to the internet. If I can't use my own connection - that I use for my laptop - I will not be able to afford the Kindle I bought and will promptly have to mail it back. I should have done more research.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 3:15:21 PM PST
King Al says:
Yes, you can. The 4G is for when you are not at a hotspot.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions