Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Extended Warranty/Return Policy questions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 15, 2012 11:45:37 AM PST
So to my understanding, from 30 days from upon receiving a Kindle. I have 30 days to return it, and get my money back. Does this 30 days have leeway? Like say on day 28, I decided I don't want it, contact Amazon, and they receive it back on day 32. Am I out the money then?

When I talked to Kindle Customer support over the phone-it sounded like say for example I got the Paperwhite for $119 and hated it, and then got the Kindle Fire instead, sounded like upon returning, I would just pay the price difference. That sounds confusing to me. Is it actually, they'd refund me the money for the Paperwhite, and *then* I could purchase the Kindle Fire?

If anyone here has decided they didn't like the model they purchased, how easy was the return process? (I've returned things through Amazon before, but not of this nature.)

Also, running off of that example. Say I bought the 2 year extended warranty for the Paperwhite, hated it, got the Kindle Fire. Would I get the money back for the Paperwhite's warranty, and then I'd purchase the Kindle Fire 2 year extended warranty?

For those who have gotten the extended warranty, did you ever have use of it? If so, did it seem as inclusive as originally stated, or did you have a huge hassle when something broken/stopped working?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 11:54:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 11:55:25 AM PST
Dittie says:
The return policy is extended a bit during the Christmas shopping season. I believe if you purchased it on or after November 1, you have until January 24 or January 31.

I haven't purchased any extended warranties but it might depend on whether you're talking about an Amazon warranty or a third-party such as Square Trade.

ETA: Oh, also, you can't exchange one for the other. You'd get a refund on the returned item and buy the other one as an entirely separate transaction.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 11:56:02 AM PST
That's why I'm actually lurking in the Kindle Forum reading tons of topics. My family has dropped very unsubtle hints that they want to get me a Kindle, and want to know which one I want.

I was referring to Amazon's extended warranty-I've never heard of Square Trade.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 12:01:38 PM PST
Artist says:
If your Kindle was shipped after November 1, you have until January 31 to return it for a full refund under Amazon's extended holiday return policy.

Normally, there is no leeway. Thirty days means 30 days, and 1/31 means 1/31.

If you return the PW, the refund will be credited to whatever payment option you used to purchase it. You'll have to order the Fire as a separate purchase.

I don't know about the warranty refund. You'll have to contact CS.

I purchased a 2 year warranty for my Kindle 2, mostly because it was very expensive ($289) and I knew that I couldn't afford to buy another one within those 2 years. I never had to use it.

I did buy an extended warranty directly from Square Trade for my K3, because it covers some circumstances that the 1 year Amazon warranty doesn't. So far, I haven't had to use it. It was much less expensive since I bought it directly from Square Trade and used a coupon, but I don't think you can do that with new Kindles any longer. At least all the coupons I get from Square Trade indicate that they can't be used for a Kindle.

I originally bought the K3 wi-fi only because it was the only one available. Two weeks later the K3 3g/wi-fi became available, so I returned the wi-fi only device and ordered the 3g/wi-fi, separately, and before I received the refund on the wi-fi only devce. There were no problems or issues with the return.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:02:56 PM PST
Artist says:
I think the extended warranties are all through Square Trade now, which you purchase on the Amazon site. The warranty used to be through another company.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:04:35 PM PST
Dittie says:
Well, I can't help you pick which one you want but there's not a lot of time left if you're going to get something by Christmas morning.

My best advice on the Amazon warranty question would be to contact Kindle customer service unless someone else here can direct you to a link where you can read the fine print. I could be mistaken but I don't think you have the buy the warranty at the same time. Usually you have thirty days to buy that so you might just want to confirm that and then hold off until you know which Kindle you're keeping. They're all covered by a limited one year warranty, FYI.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 10:07:43 AM PST
I noticed that right now another site has the Kindle Fire cheaper then Amazon, it's only available in the store though. Say I were to buy it there, could I still get a warranty from Amazon versus that store? I imagine I'd have to buy it from Amazon, was just wondering.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Problem Watching Netflix on Kindle Fire 139 29 seconds ago
Amazon Echo 8699 1 minute ago
Hear Ye! Hear Ye! We're Quirky And We're Not Going To Take It Anymore! 2016, You've Been Warned! So Geese And Tally Ho! 7941 2 minutes ago
How do I get reading progress on Kindle paperwhite after new update? 13 3 minutes ago
Charged on my credit card after signing up for Kindle unlimited 2 6 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - April 2016 949 9 minutes ago
Amazon Oasis 823 13 minutes ago
How to change to black background and white letters? 11 13 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 7470 14 minutes ago
85° and Sunny - A Perfect Day to RAOK! 4429 36 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Dec 15, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions