Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now Tikes
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle for PC and Windows 8

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 20, 2013 4:56:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 4:58:09 PM PST
M. Helle says:
I am using Windows 8 and since certain books are not even compatible with the new Start Menu App and Kindle for PC I decided to use the Kindle for PC program for just the Desktop, which works great 99% of the time.

There is one book that isn't compatible with Windows 8 Start Screen and also likes to crash on the Desktop version of Kindle for PC as well.

Any known fix? Frustrating to say the least. Again I repeat kindle for PC for desktop is working fine for all my books except for newer ones that have no Windows 8 compatibility. They flat out won't work in Windows 8 start screen and like to randomly crash during reading on the Desktop version of Kindle for PC.

Compatibility Mode
Running as Admin
Deleting and Reinstalling
Clearing Kindle registry points

I am assuming I am SOL.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 5:06:31 PM PST
Artist says:
Have you tried reading them on the Cloud instead of through the Kindle app? I'm not sure if W8 uses a browser that is supported by the Cloud, but if you go to it will tell you.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 5:37:48 PM PST
M. Helle says:
This particular book is not available on the cloud. Thanks for the suggestion, however no go.

Posted on Aug 4, 2013 7:04:05 PM PDT
C. Cortez says:
I use a Windows 8 pc, but I use kindle for E Textbooks, which are not readable in the app. Therefore, I must use Kindle for PC which is only available for previous versions of windows. The Windows 7 version of Kindle for PC loses much functionality on the touch screen platform.
What gives? Is Kindle phasing out its E Textbook program for new windows computers? At these book prices (never mind the ridiculous price fixing on the publishers' end), can't we at least have a proper reader designed for Windows 8?
As it is, I am forced to let other students who ask about E Textbooks know not to use Kindle E Textbooks on a Windows 8 pc. That's potential customers in the toilet for Kindle and for Microsoft.

Posted on Aug 27, 2013 1:47:06 PM PDT
R. Giles says:
I had to cancel an order for a book since it said it isn't readable on Windows 8. I ended up purchasing the same book for Nook app which is the first time I've ever bought a book on Nook. Turns out the nook reader for windows 8 is much nicer than the kindle app for Windows 8. I hope Amazon corrects this problem since I really don't like splitting my purchases between two different services.

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 8:35:50 AM PST
I like the kindle for PC for different reasons than the kindle for windows 8. On my windows 8 machine I have some problems in downloading some books for the PC version. I resent having to use my older machines to use the PC version. I do not know what the problem is, but I await the fixes.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
56 4 days ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 Sep 18, 2015
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 Sep 18, 2015
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
How to Remove Ads from Kindle Fire HD? 905 4 minutes ago
The Quirkier, The Better! Bring Your Dogs, Cats, Exploding Chickens, So Geese, Fighting Turkeys, Goats, Fluffy Sheep, Cows, Velvet Monkeys, Big Honking Bats, Fishlettes And Cherie! Tally Ho! 4962 5 minutes ago
November 2015 Informal Poll; What Are You Reading? 381 10 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 4608 19 minutes ago
Amazon Echo (no invite questions) 5872 25 minutes ago
Fire Phone Discussion 666 26 minutes ago
Can I put my own movies on a Kindle Fire? 12 28 minutes ago
Fire stick remote 1 29 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Feb 20, 2013
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions