Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Receiving "free" apps/games on Amazon's Kindle Fire comes at huge cost! Is there a way to download free games & apps without providing a credit/debit account to Amazon?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 26, 2012 10:39:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 10:40:35 AM PST
APG says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:40:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 10:41:13 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
You can purchase a small prepaid debit card at the store and use it on the account.

ETA: You should also look into Parental Controls on the Apple Product and The Fire.
A 7 year old should not be making purchases on his own.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:41:24 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Return it and break his heart. Of course there is always the parental controls that can be set up so no purchases can be made. You will need a credit card on the account for apps like it or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:43:16 AM PST
Just FYI: iTunes has never required a debit or credit card to be on file.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:43:20 AM PST
J. Donahue says:
Return it and break his heart.

Amazon requires a credit card on file for some digital purchase in order to verify the country of origin for the order, free or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:44:35 AM PST
I second what Peachy Pat said. Get a pre-paid Visa card to put on the account.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 10:59:34 AM PST
APG says:
Thanks for your posts. I'll try the prepaid card before deciding if it should go back to Santa. I have looked into the parental controls and they are much better on the Apple product, admittedly (but the price tag on those items make them prohibitive...that item was a joint gift from several extended family members).

To Dittie...when I was setting up the required Apple account for my son's iPod Touch, it required a credit/debit account at that point. It did not require any account info or account verification at the time of purchase. Once his gift card balance was exceeded, it began drawing from my bank account.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:02:18 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
If he is 7, look at the Freetime App. The controls are there, you just need to use them and then back them up with personal control.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:07:46 AM PST
You're mistaken. On iTunes where you go to your account and then the payment method, the last item is None.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 12:15:17 PM PST
APG says:
To Dittie re: Apple: Hhmm, I'll check that out again...maybe I missed the last box! I'd much rather get rid of that account number from there; thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 12:16:20 PM PST
You're welcome. It's been there as long as I've used iTunes, which has been almost from day one.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Dec 26, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions