Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Cookin' in the Kindle Kitchen #2: Recipes, Chat, Fun and Laughter!

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 27, 2013 5:47:09 AM PST
Kindle Kitchen #2 is now OPEN. Regardless of the weather and wherever you may be, it will always be a bright day here in the "Kitchen". This is your place to post and share your favorite recipes. If you need a recipe, just ask and chances are that a fellow "Kindle Chef" can help you out.

Over and above the recipes, this is a warm and friendly room to chat with others about most anything. So, always feel free to stop by and just say hello and share some exciting news.

May we please ask posters and lurkers to not hesitate and use the up-vote button, as this will show us that the posts are being read and enjoyed.

So, please pull up a chair, grab your Kindle, get comfortable, dig out those recipe cards, and join in the conversation. We hope you will enjoy your visit.

DISCLAIMER: This is a public forum and by posting your recipe, you are giving any and all forum members permission to use and copy.

*** For those of you new that are visiting the "Kindle Kitchen" for the first time, and would like to check out all the wonderful recipes from our previous thread before we moved to our new room, please click on the link below:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx2V4A1YJHOKG40

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 5:51:16 AM PST
Morning all. I found the new thread!!!

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 5:52:16 AM PST
Vickie ... Yep, and I think you made the last post in our old "Kitchen".

Great to see that you found and we will carry on from here.

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 5:53:58 AM PST
My "shy Irish Lad" ... Good Morning to you!

I have been waiting for your call, so hope that you get your cup of coffee down soon and remember how to dial your wife's number here in Iowa. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2013 5:54:44 AM PST
I think I did, didn't I? LOL I think that is a first time.

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 5:56:40 AM PST
OK ... back to KA organization. I just finished adding labels that I made to a couple of my new containers and on the tops of the jars that are resting in a drawer. More labels to make this morning, and filling some of the new containers that I bought yesterday for things still in their brown bags. Well, I have done a little bit to help with organization this morning, but a long ways to go!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2013 5:57:08 AM PST
Vickie ... You did good! :-)

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 6:03:54 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 27, 2013 6:04:05 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2013 6:09:31 AM PST
Chocomouse says:
I guess my long post about organization was lost in the changeover to a new thread!! I will try to recreate. I'm like Vickie, Princess, and Happy -- I see a new recipe, need a new ingredient, buy it, stash it, where's the recipe, what recipe, pantry full of stuff!! I've been trying to use up oddball ingredients for a few months (that is why I make my own Harvest Grains, I use KAF AP instead of Bread Flour). I tried keeping a simple list on the pantry door, but didn't use it; I tried to keep a spreadsheet, but always forgot to add new items or delete used up items (kind of like using Shelfari for my books!). Now, I'm keeping stuff in low-sided, sturdy, cardboard boxes on the shelves in the pantry. They extend the depth of the shelf by 5-6 inches, so they hold more stuff! I've got one for "sweets" (sugars, chips), one for flours/grains/mixes in the smallish brown bags, and one for herbs/spices/flavorings. The big bags of flours are emptied into glass containers also on the shelves, or in the freezer if whole grain.

I have a confession to make, too. I live less than 10 miles from King Arthur Flour. I drive past there on my way to and from work. Do you know how easy it is to stop there? I guess it's a good thing, since I am not home to watch for the brown truck!

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 6:17:05 AM PST
Chocomouse says:
I didn't realize so many of the flavorings need to be refrigerated. I will warn you that the pizza flavoring, the espresso powder, and the lemon powder don't keep very long -- they turn into a hard-as-a-rock chunk. Maybe I should have refrigerated, or froze them.

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 6:19:14 AM PST
Good Morning to all who found the new room.

With a cup of coffee working its wonders, I stumbled my way in here. Wishing you all a good morning. Thank you Princess for opening the new room for the rest of us. I've seen first hand and I appreciate the time and effort you put in here.

Will be back in a few minutes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2013 6:23:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2013 6:29:15 AM PST
Chocomouse ... Yes, I was surprised to read some of the labels and the flavorings were to be refrigerated after opening. I just pulled out my Espresso Power out of its hiding place. I haven't used yet, but the label reads that my jar is best used by December 21, 2014. Also reads to store cool and dry. So the area where I have the jar is cool and dry. I'm not sure if I want to refrigerate. Guess, time will tell! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2013 6:32:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2013 6:34:20 AM PST
You have inspired me to see if I can better organize my pantry. I have two fridges in my kitchen so I have a pair of drawers not delegated to produce and fruit that I store flours and such in. I use my FlavorSaver or large and x-large zippered bags and write dates and contents on the side. I make my own specialty flours such as rice, oatmeal, bulgur, gram and besan flour. I keep lots of nuts on hand too as I make my own almond and cashew milk and tahini and nut butters. All needs a lable and date to answer the old "How long has THIS been in here and what is it???"

I did find a tad of a spice in my pantry that I purchased in bulk with no lable...for shame...;>(

I have not made a KA order yet. We have a plethora of stores near including Whole Foods, TJ and a favorite well stocked organic and bulk grocery where I can find strange ingredients I may need. I do confess that if I had a KA available to me close I might have to join a support group and I am not talking about a bread baking class if you know what I mean, lol.

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 6:36:22 AM PST
Good Morning, everyone!
Thank you, Princess, for making this new thread so easy to find. Also, I wonder if you have ever read any of Jennifer Chiaverini's quilt series? Her first in the series, The Quilter's Apprentice, is, in my opinion, very good. I picked it up at a sale last week but they are also available on Kindle. They are quilting-themed novels with wonderful characters.
Thank you to SEP, Becky, Happy Kindler and Nana Janet for your advice regarding coffee in my Keurig. I will continue to experiment and I hope I'll minimize my messes while I search for the perfect blend. I did notice the Pumpkin Spice blend in the store...my personal favorite flavor, but I was reluctant to purchase a whole box in case it wasn't good. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks for all of your help--I really appreciate it! Enjoy your Sunday everyone.

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 6:41:37 AM PST
mckeever's mom

Thanks for the information on the book. I'll check it out also sometime today. I'm sure that Princess will be interested. For anyone who would like to have a look-see, here is the link.

The Quilter's Apprentice (Elm Creek Quilts Novels)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2013 6:41:52 AM PST
mckeever's mom ... Hi, and so happy that you found us, and we are happy to hear from you this morning.

Oh, about the Pumpkin Spice ... this is one of my favorites. In my opinion, it is very good. This is one flavor that I keep a couple of boxes all the time. And, this brings another organization problem to the front. Hubby and I were discussing this last week that we need to find a way for storing all of our Keurig coffees. We have several varieties that we like and some we have two boxes. This is also taking up a lot of storage area here at our house.

Hope you have a beautiful Sunday, too!

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 7:04:12 AM PST
Kat says:
Thank you Princess and Shy Irish Lad for continuing the Kindle Kitchen. I have really enjoyed visiting here and learned a lot from you guys. An update on the Nesco dehydrator: Original flavor beef jerky was a smashing success! My hubby and I really like the flavor. It seemed a little strong when it first started to dehydrate, but it quickly mellowed out and the results were tasty.

An organization tip that I use is to use freezer tape and a magic marker and label the Foodsaver containers or ziploc bags with ingredients and expiration date. I keep those 2 items in a ziploc bag together in one of my kitchen drawers so it's always at hand.

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 7:05:12 AM PST
This week's cooking tips:

To make your own corn meal mix: combine 1 cup corn meal, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 4 teaspoons baking powder. You can store it in a tightly covered container for up to 6 months.

A Perfect Pastry Crust? In your favorite recipe, substitute a 4:1 ratio of lard:butter

When slicing a hard boiled egg, try wetting the knife just before cutting. If that doesn't do the trick, try applying a bit of cooking spray to the edge.

When mincing garlic, sprinkle on a little salt so the pieces won't stick to your knife or cutting board.

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 7:08:59 AM PST
happykindler says:
Hello everyone! I was confused for a mintue when I went to reply to Vickie's post about CVS and couldn't..lol. I found my way..phew!

Vickie...CVS is a drugstore!

Organization....I like the idea of a spread sheet, but honestly, I'm afraid it will work for a while, then I'll get lazy with it. For now, I'm thinking that when I add an item to my WL or cart, I will make note what recipe it goes with in a little notebook that I keep by my computer. When that item arrives here, I was thinking of making a label to put on the outside of the container or bag that lists what recipes that ingredient goes with.

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 7:09:38 AM PST
UPCOMING FOOD HOLIDAYS FOR FEBRUARY

Berry Fresh in the Sunshine State Month
National Snack Food Month
Canned Food Month
North Carolina Sweet Potato Month
Great American Pies Month
National Grapefruit Month
National Cherry Month
National Potato Month
Return Shopping Carts to the Supermarket Month ... LOL

To end January:
January 30 - National Croissant Day
January 31 - National Brandy Alexander Day

To start February:
February 1 - National Baked Alaska Day
February 2 - National Heavenly Hash Day
February 3 - National Carrot Cake Day
February 4 - National Stuffed Mushroom Day
February 5 - National Chocolate Fondue Day
February 6 - National Frozen Yogurt Day

Balance of February days will be posted each Sunday.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2013 7:11:28 AM PST
happykindler says:
Keurig 5071 K-Cup Carousel Tower

princess, this is the storage I use for my k-cups, it's slim and doesn't take up much space on the counter. I'm not sure if you were looking for storage on counter or in a drawer?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2013 7:14:22 AM PST
happykindler says:
mckeever's mom...don't know if you'd be interested or not, but there's a website called big cat coffees, that allows you to mix and match k-cups. So, instead of buying a box of one flavor of coffee, I make what they call purr fect packs and choose 5 of each flavor, for a total of 25 cups. It allows me to try different coffees and teas, without being stuck with a whole box of something I don't like.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2013 7:14:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2013 7:15:35 AM PST
I like that idea. Then when you see the item, you know the recipe that it goes with.

EDIT - Thanks for letting me know what CVS is

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2013 7:15:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2013 7:18:11 AM PST
happy ... Good idea! I always keep a pad and pen by my laptop.

BUT, how about a index file made up of 3 x 5 cards and you can make up a card with the product name and file alphabetically. Then write on the product card the recipes that you ordered this product to use. I have a little index card holder that I could start doing this with.

How is this idea?

ETA: Hubby is the one that suggested the 3 x5 card file. He deserves some credit for trying to help us! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2013 7:16:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2013 7:29:47 AM PST
happykindler says:
Chocomouse.........you are a better person than I am. If I lived that close to KA, my husband would have to take the keys away from me.

Edited to correct name.....bows head in shame............
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 26 days ago
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 2271 6 minutes ago
Book Category and Content Rating 0 8 minutes ago
Kindle or Amazon marketing 7 15 minutes ago
Kindle purchases 1 19 minutes ago
Which fire for my 80 year old mom? 8 19 minutes ago
A way to access a random page 7 20 minutes ago
scratch on Kindle paperwhite screen 1 22 minutes ago
help :-) 2 23 minutes ago
Kindle Voyage - First Impressions 455 40 minutes ago
Amazon Echo (no invite questions) 2819 46 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  117
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jan 27, 2013
Latest post:  Aug 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 33 customers

Search Customer Discussions