Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Content only on specific devices

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 7, 2013 3:45:15 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 8, 2013 7:59:22 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 3:48:53 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
It is the publisher that decides which devices they want to format thier books for.

With textbooks you will have a lot of grpahs, charts, photos, etc that would not work well with the smaller Ink Kindles. The publishers decided to stick with the devices that will work best for that particular book.

You will find this a lot with textbooks, technical books, children's books, photography books, etc. Anything that has lots of detailed photos, charts, diagrams, etc does not do well on a eink Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 3:50:43 PM PST
Rev. Otter says:
i'm wondering if they're colorful, illustration-heavy textbooks ..?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 3:52:38 PM PST
You could install the Kindle for PC app (free, assuming you have a PC) for viewing these types of books, and it costs you nothing, and Amazon makes no profit off of you using that app.

Again it's up to the publisher to make this decision, not Amazon.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 4:16:09 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Why does everyone blame the publishers?!?!?! Amazon has enough money that it can hire hitmen to go after the publishers and make them do the format Amazon wants. Use some of that clout Amazon!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 4:55:54 PM PST
Anne Shirley says:
So, what you're saying is you don't know whose "fault" it is that you can't have what you want, but you want to blame Amazon anyway, just because it's easy and you can whine about it here. 'mkay.......

Your post will be given the attention it deserves. Zzzzzzzzz...........

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 5:16:46 PM PST
Carbonbased says:
In the two years you've had the KK, surely you have tried to navigate a web page. Imagine trying to view a fixed-layout book page using the 5-way controller and zoom. Textbook publishers have always been wary of conversion to the small-screen electronic format. Also, your instructors have a vested interest in forcing you to the campus bookstore to get the books they require.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 11:35:15 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 8, 2013 8:02:41 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 11:37:16 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
no need to spend any extra money on new devices Kindle 4 PC is free

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 4:37:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 4:41:19 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
I am not being snarky here when I say that this confuses me:

"I now have much less faith that Amazon will do everything it can to help me get the most out of the Kindle I bought."

I bought my car a long LONG time ago. It does not have power windows. Should I say that Toyota isn't helping me get the most out of the vehicle because they now offer that feature on newer models?

The eInk devices were not designed to handle much graphic or tabular displays. In fact, they weren't designed for "displays" at all. They were (and are) designed as text readers. Because some books include much more than text (and I suspect that textbooks, regardless of that descriptive name, are included in that category) it would make sense to me that publishers would provide the eVersions only for devices that could actually display what is in the books.

So ... no. I can't really agree that your statement sounds "reasonable." In fact, I don't even understand how you could come to that conclusion.

The Kindle that you purchased does exactly what was advertised when you purchased it. If the publishers didn't even provide an eVersion, would you still claim that Amazon is not helping you get the most from your Kindle? Think of this situation in that regard - The publisher isn't (as far as your device is concerned) providing an eVersion.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 4:43:06 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Then go with a company that will do what you want when you want. Surely there is one out there that will do everything you ask of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 4:43:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 5:13:46 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
<As a previous poster said, if Amazon wanted to get textbooks formatted for different devices, it would happen. >

If you are referencing Jazzy Jeff's post, then you missed his entire point. That was sarcasm as only Jeff can deliver.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 4:45:48 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I thought he was talking about someone else. I didn't think anyone could be dense enough to to miss my sarcasm.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 4:47:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 4:47:30 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
LOL! I didn't think so either but I couldn't find another post on the thread that came even close to saying that Amazon could (or would) do what the OPer wants.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 4:52:48 AM PST
I guess the OP thinks it's reasonable to send hitmen out to make people do what he wants.

I'm afraid, very afraid. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 4:55:55 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Maybe I should remove my post. I don't want to be accused of giving ideas to a crazed person.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 4:59:45 AM PST
Yeah, like that nut who shot up my neighborhood a few days ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 5:00:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 5:01:24 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Hey, I had nothing to do with that ;-p. I just told him he needed some target practice....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 5:09:13 AM PST
Jazzy, you're so bad! The nut job only managed to hit some SWAT vehicles before the police had to (how do I put this) neutralize him.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 5:11:35 AM PST
Cassie Anne says:
Would you have preferred to have been able to buy/rent the book(s), only to find they're all but useless on your KK?

The publishers aren't making the decision to limit availability to screw customers in some way; they've made that decision to offer the best experience for their customers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 5:20:51 AM PST
"...do everything it can to help me get the most out of..."

How is that a retailer's job? If I buy a comforter at Penney's, do they care if I "get the most out of it"? No, they just want me to buy the matching duvet for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 5:55:24 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
That explains why the bed isn't made at my house. I thought Penney's hired people to come do that!
Wait! That also explains why the floor isn't vacuumed. Oreck isn't going to send someone to vacuum for me?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 5:58:36 AM PST
I think people have begun confusing ongoing service providers with regular retailers. Verizon may have some impetus for trying to keep me happy, or I'll cancel my cell plan. My cable company wants to keep me from switching to DirecTV, and vice versa.

Perhaps people have begun to think that retailers work the same way, that the company needs to provide some sort of ongoing service.

They'd be wrong, but maybe that's where the thinking has gone.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 7:54:28 AM PST
Paul Kandel says:
OK, I see that everyone else thinks I am nuts and completely accept that verdict.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 7:57:15 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
No, no.

Not "nuts" just a little self-entitled and, apparently, unwilling to think beyond set parameters.

DL
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Jan 7, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions