Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Amazon & Google a pox on both your houses (kindle hd/Google play)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 65 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2012 9:27:31 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:40:04 AM PST
Surveyah says:
Huh?? I have NO idea what your talking about.....maybe you could "elucidate" a little more clearly what your issue is...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:42:10 AM PST
It's never been a secret that it's a forked version of Android. If that's a problem for you, Fire isn't the best choice. Fortunately there are loads of other tablets to choose from.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:52:46 AM PST
King Al says:
There's nothing to fix. Amazon deliberately made the decision to use a forked version of Android.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:54:08 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 20, 2012 10:59:28 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:54:54 AM PST
Love ya, Mongo!

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:56:39 AM PST
Surveyah says:
so in trying to interpret what your problem is..I am assuming you are upset that the Fire is locked into the Amazon Apps store, and the Nexus to the Google Play store?

There is nothing "corrupted" about any version of Android....true there are many versions out there, just like Windows and Linux. I agree it has been developed more rapidly than other OS, but that is due to the explosion of cell phone and tablet use, and the CONSUMER demand for more power...more storage.....more bells and whistles.

Amazon can produce and market any device it likes, with any OS it prefers. The VALUE of having their device more or less locked into the Amazon ecosystem is that it can be used to access THEIR products and services. You own a Dodge...do you cry when you can't fit a Ford part onto it? don't think so...

The Fire (and the Nexus and the iPad) are proprietary devices. If that is not the way you want your device to work, then take Ditties advice and choose another tablet. That being said....there numerous ways to root any device to get access to the Amazon App store or Google Play. A little research would be most enlightening on your part.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:59:43 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:01:49 AM PST
And exactly what incentive would they have to explore new innovations and develop new products?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:02:36 AM PST
Cassie Anne says:
How long have you had your Fire? If it's within the return period, you can return it if it doesn't meet your needs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:03:50 AM PST
They both do work. Don't expect either to change just to suit your every want and desire, and we won't expect you to do your homework before you make a choice, either.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:08:19 AM PST
Cassie Anne says:
>>>Don't expect either to change just to suit your every want and desire

Exactly. Neither is selling beta versions; they're selling the end product. There might be a few tweaks here and there, but I certainly wouldn't expect major, drastic changes in current models. And that's not to say that ~future~ models won't have major, drastic changes.

But for what's out there, it is what it is. Don't buy it, whatever it may be, if it doesn't work the way you want it to.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:12:59 AM PST
I know, right? I'd love to have Android-Voodoo-Pox but it just doesn't exist -- yet. I tried calling Jeff about it but he just doesn't care what I want. WTF?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:13:56 AM PST
Buy it or don't buy it. Just don't whine about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:18:37 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Then take your money somewhere else.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 10:19:21 AM PST
SElf and others of course I was aware of the issue prior to the purchase. I could but do not want a rooted device. They are in business to make money and will respond to customer demand.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:21:46 AM PST
Well, this isn't the place to make demands, nor is it the time. It's hardly a brilliant plan to expect something to change into what you wanted it to be.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:23:55 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
If you want a google based device -- go buy one.
So you bought a Fire? WHY?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:25:19 AM PST
I'll take "I already subscribed to Prime just for the KOLL" for a thousand, Alex.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:25:48 AM PST
It's quite easy to install apps from outside of the Amazon App store, and it does not require rooting. Still, if what you wanted was Google Play, then you shouldn't have bought a Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:30:44 AM PST
By all accounts Fires are the number one selling Android tablet... so there you go.

Both Google and Amazon get 30% cut of all apps sold from their respective Android stores. That's one reason they don't allow cross sales.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:34:18 AM PST
Cassie Anne says:
If you knew the device's limitations before you bought it, why are you complaining now?

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 10:37:17 AM PST
If you have another Android device (like a phone), it's actually very easy to sideload apps from Google Play onto the Fire. I have done it a number of times. This articles gives very good instructions on how to do it.

http://androidcowboy.com/2012/01/how-to-sideload-apps-on-kindle-fire/

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 10:46:02 AM PST
Julie, I think you're over-reacting. I don't agree with Amazon's decision to use their own modified older version of the Android OS but they had their reasons for doing so and it serves the needs of the majority of their customers. They can't fix something that's not broken. It operates exactly as designed, even if it doesn't meet your needs.

I don't like it either and it wasn't as well suited for my needs as the Nexus 7, running the latest stock version of Android, so I switched. However, the Fires are still great tablets for many users.

However, I don't understand your concern about downloading apk's from reputable 3rd party sources. There's no risk I'm aware of if you're at all tech savvy and know what you're doing. Tens of thousands of us do so regularly. If you don't know what you're doing, stick with the stock configuration of whichever device best meets your needs.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 10:47:49 AM PST
E. Hurst says:
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  65
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions