Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Will California customers be charged sales tax if pre-ordering?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 104 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 6, 2012 5:55:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2012 5:56:02 PM PDT
J.Smith says:
But the kindle ships after Sept 15??? Will sales tax be added when it ships, since amazon has policy to not charge until item gets shipped.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 1:13:34 PM PDT
I talked to an Amazon Rep yesterday and asked this question, and she told me we wouldn't be charged tax if we ordered before the 15th. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 10:13:46 PM PDT
J. Choi says:
well i ordered a graphics card from amazon on the sept 14 and i was charged tax for it. heh

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 8:11:34 AM PDT
That's too bad. But was it from Amazon, or one of Amazon's 3rd party seller's? Because I got charged sales tax before September 15th too when I bought something from one of Amazon seller's. Because I guess that seller had a store in California.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 8:15:08 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
What does it matter? You are supposed to pay the tax anyway....

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 7:30:23 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 20, 2012 1:59:57 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 12:30:12 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 23, 2012 12:57:00 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 12:40:25 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 18, 2012 12:41:02 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 2:34:03 PM PDT
Yeah, this happened to me as well, but not on a large order, so I sympathize with you. Also, I was hoping not to have to pay sales tax on the pre-order for a Kindle Fire. I had been monitoring the "order details" of my order, to see if tax was added. It had not been. But just now, when I applied a gift certificate to this order, they automatically added on the sales tax. So yes, we are getting charged the sales tax on these pre-orders.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 3:38:07 PM PDT
I applied the gift card at the time of purchase on the day the Paperwhite went on preorder, the 6th, I wasn't charged sales tax, I wonder if those that applied gift cards before the 15th will not be charged as the order is technically already paid for?

Alternately, a pre-order for a DVD that I placed months ago but used my credit card for was charged sales tax when it shipped yesterday.

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 3:49:58 PM PDT
Artist says:
You are charged on the day the item is shipped, not on the date it was ordered. If it was shipped on the 15th or later, tax is collected.

The exeption is a gift card pre-order, because they have to charge on the date of the pre-order to make sure there is enough money available.

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 3:54:06 PM PDT
I ordered on the 6th and my invoice includes an estimated CA sales tax. They shipped the power adapter on the 16th and charged CA sales tax on that portion. So on Kindle orders, there will be sales tax.

However, for some reason I had a DVD set and some paper items shipped (sold by Amazon) and no tax was charged.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 4:05:58 PM PDT
Thanks, Blaiz, I shall rest easy knowing they aren't going to hold my Paperwhite hostage until I cough up the extra 9.75% of 119 bucks!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 9:12:38 PM PDT
That's a really good question. Because it wouldn't make sense for them to charge sales tax on a zero balance.

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 10:06:13 PM PDT
I ordered the Paperwhite on the 6th and have a delivery date of October 16. I just looked at the invoice--it says:

Item(s) Subtotal: $199.00
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
-----
Total Before Tax: $199.00
Estimated Tax To Be Collected: $0.00
-----
Grand Total: $199.00

Due to the screw-up of ordering first day and getting such a late delivery date they removed the shipping charge (I'd paid $3.99 for 1-day)

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 10:10:37 PM PDT
deb217 says:
I just found out today that we will be taxed on items sold at Amazon.com when I was charged tax on an item. Not a problem -- However, I checked an ebook purchase I made on the 17th and wasn't charged tax.
Here is the stupid question -- is there a difference in the two purchases concerning the sales tax?

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 12:20:19 AM PDT
RaRamon says:
I have to say that I understand that it's not Amazon's fault that here in California we have to pay tax now purchases, BUT I pre-ordered my KF HD 8.9" on the 7th of September, and decided today to change my shipping method to a one day shipping, as soon as I changed my order my invoice went up almost $40 dollars because of sales tax and some other recycling fee california charges on electronics disposal! Had I known this was going to happen I would have never changed the shipping speed of my purchase. I tried contacting CS but they were closed. I really don't think it's fair, and just want to warn anyone who might be thinking about modifying a pre-order. Hopefully this can get sorted out, I've BEEN very loyal to Amazon and spend A LOT of my hard earned cash, but i thought this was definitely something they need to address.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 12:27:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2012 12:29:24 AM PDT
L says:
they will tax you after the item ships... i ordered some books before the new law went into effect, my order amount was $0 tax. it shipped a couple days ago with a lovely tax fee added on. i will definitely limit future amazon purchases to things i can't find anywhere else in the universe

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 1:04:37 AM PDT
I'm not sure about this but I think on agency-priced ebooks the publisher, rather than Amazon, is considered to be the seller, so you will be charged tax if the publisher has a physical presence in your state. On ebooks from non-agency-publishers (which now includes Harper Collins and will soon include Simon & Schuster and Hatchette), Amazon is considered the seller, so you will be charged the tax if Amazon has a presence in your state.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 9:27:05 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 19, 2012 11:19:30 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 9:54:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2012 9:55:01 AM PDT
In WA state - I pay taxes on everything sold by amazon. No taxes for marketplace merchants - but taxes on ALL books mp3s, movies, etc. I've been paying this taxes since I hooked up in 2009. Unfortunately - I don't have a lot of sympathy here. The nly place you are likely to find it cheaper is Walmart or Staples, and you have to pay sales tax there.

I know it is an adjustment - but I used to exclusively shop in eBay, and the anxiety of electronic ourchases wasn't worth it. Plus, no books nor mp3s. If I purchase from apple, I also get charged sales tax, and their items are more expensive.

The states need the revenue. Also, amazon offers different prices to different regions/people. You will note item prices falling to compete with B&M stores, it all works out in the end.

(Political? - Everyone wants school teachers, fire, emergency room/health care, police protection, local governments to handle local problems - but no one wants to pay for it?) Think about it. And yes, our sales tax is comparable to the highest areas in CA.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 9:58:47 AM PDT
The benefit may not be to you directly, but it will benefit California as a whole..................the word is JOBS. Jobs building the facilities, jobs for staff, probably increased jobs for Fed Ex, UPS, etc.

Also, if you buy the Paperwhite at Staples, you then are subject Staples' return policy. You could also end up paying more in taxes at Staples - Amazon only collects state tax, not the added sales tax some counties and cities levy on purchases there.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 10:28:38 AM PDT
And, I'm sorry, but...but...but... it has always been the law, we've always supposed to pay them, are we really here complaining that we are no longer getting Amazon's assistance in our tax evasion? Really?

Oh, and...
Hi, M.! Good to "see" ya.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 10:29:45 AM PDT
Hey Fanny - good to see you, too.

I know what you mean. I think you, Bufo and I are the only ones who've been paying the use tax all along.............

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 10:59:53 AM PDT
Great points! Also, unless you are in a big hurry for item, you can save money on gas.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the ‘Active discussions in related forums’ feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers.  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  104
Initial post:  Sep 6, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions