Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Paperwhite - international availability

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 228 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 7, 2012 12:46:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2012 12:49:28 AM PDT
As a European avid Kindle user, I was happy to anticipate the launch of a new Kindle line along with the rest of the world. I love my Kindle Keyboard to death, and still feel it's one of the slickest games in town.

When I finally got my father to give this e-reader malarkey a try a week ago, there was no question, a top-of-the-line Kindle was what would turn this bookworm over to e-reading, I was sure of it.

So today, imagine the dampening in my excitement when I learned that not only would the out-of-stock (naturally, ahead of the announcement) Touch NOT be immediately be replaced by in-stock Kindle Paperwhite, but only in a month, but also, us European readers (and pretty much anyone outside of the US) have an "indefinite" ETA. Until then, our (decidedly lackluster-by-comparison) only option is the bargain-basement version Kindle for $89.

Come on, Amazon, you can do better than this. Show some support to the geeks across the world who would love nothing better than to evangelize for your (superior) product!

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 12:53:02 AM PDT
Vismantas says:
I agree. I also was very disappointed about this... :( Now it seems I will have to wait until it will be started shipping and try to buy it in e-bay from re-sellers...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 5:02:36 AM PDT
they have to get rid of old (repainted and slightly faster) kindle

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 5:07:51 AM PDT
Bixillarla says:
New models always come out for US customers first, they want to make sure they can supply the US Christmas holiday season before opening up international sales. They did the same thing when the Keyboard model came out and again when the Touch came out.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 5:13:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2012 5:15:32 AM PDT
Sl says:
I'm so disappointed by amazon's marketing strategy with regards to the Kindle Paperwhite version. As one says above, one expects that the recent shortage and retrieval of the touch versions was going to be replaced by their extremely interesting looking new device with front lighting and white background... Man, I just don't understand why they would shoot themselves in the foot like that, there is surely a huge market in Europe that is just waiting to burst !!! Frustrated users might turn away from amazon and consider the Barnes & Noble instead... what a pity ! And if that was not enough, look at the price distinction between the .com, .co.uk, .de... almost the same digits but in different currencies... that is just not right !

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 5:15:08 AM PDT
nat123 says:
That's not entirely true. I (pre)ordered K3 on the day of the announcement (and I'm an international user).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 5:34:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2012 5:35:08 AM PDT
nemo man says:
how did you do this for the whitepaper versions guys ? as even though the uk is on the international deliverys list, it refuses all uk addresses at checkout at the moment

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 5:38:00 AM PDT
nat123 says:
I was talking about ordering K3, not the Paperwhite, while I was trying to answer on Bixillarla's post :) sorry, my bad. :)

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 5:42:57 AM PDT
Hope these posts have some visibility in Amazon, so let's use this forum to push our requests of having the new Kindle outside US.
Italians are waiting for new Kindles as well!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 5:45:56 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
aren't the new Fires for sale on amazon.it?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 5:48:06 AM PDT
nat123 says:
as far as i can see - just fires.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 5:51:06 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
I'd imagine that they wait for the PW might be as long as the wait for the Kindle Touch

and the statemen I was referencing was "Italians are waiting for new Kindles as well" and they obviously do have new kindles, just not the ones they want (I'm in the same boat as I live outside the US)

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 5:53:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2012 5:56:37 AM PDT
I just wish that when they do these new product launches they would give a rough estimate of the international release dates. To say nothing just puts the many loyal international customers off side, and this happens over and over again. It has been reported in the Australian media here that Amazon released a press release trumpeting the fact that the mildly redesigned Kindle 4 was being released here at a lower price. Whooptie doo, who cares when the superior Paperwhite is not even on the horizon. Says it all really about their priorities and attitude.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 5:54:53 AM PDT
nat123 says:
And I was referencing to "Kindle Paperwhite - international availability" -title of this discussion :D

@Mr. Brett C. Thorpe - yes, estimate of the international release dates would be great!

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 5:56:12 AM PDT
This isn't surprising. A bummer, but not surprising. Amazon already had to delay the announcement and release of the Paperwhite models a couple of months due to manufacturing problems. (The stories came out earlier this year about the delay. It was originally supposed to be announced around July.) We saw a few month difference between US and International availability for the previous Touch model. And just like the last time, the cheaper model is available internationally at the same time as the US. So there seems to be something about the touch model that causes the delay, either manufacturing speed vs demand or regulatory approvals.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 5:56:31 AM PDT
Susan Toye says:
I have a friend in the US who wants to buy me the new Kindle 3 G papaerwhite for my birthday. Will it work in Canada, being that we cannot get it here???

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 5:58:20 AM PDT
It will work fine. The only issue will be that if you have any problems with it before it is released in Canada you may have to go through your friend for a replacement. Other than that the Kindle Paperwhite will work internationally.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 5:59:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2012 6:00:16 AM PDT
I have heard about the Paperwhite manufacturing issues. But why can't they give us international customers some rough release dates, that all most people would want.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 6:01:36 AM PDT
Oh yes, it'll certainly work! I got the Touch on my birthday at a time when it wasn't available internationally; but it never caused any problems. But I do wish that they would at least set a tentative "International Release" date. Surely they realise that they have a huge international market?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 6:08:41 AM PDT
Mr. Brett C. Thorpe says: "I have heard about the Paperwhite manufacturing issues. But why can't they give us international customers some rough release dates, that all most people would want."

I don't know. With the Touch they didn't give a release date until March, and that release date was in July (a much bigger gap than it was between the US announce and release). Those large gaps between the original announcement and international announcement, and between the international announcement and availability are why I'm not sure which issue is the main issue holding off on the Touch editions.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 6:26:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2012 6:27:42 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
The Touch announced release date was April 27st for those who had to buy out of the international stores (later than for those who could buy from amazon.com) and it was released early on April 21st

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 6:39:41 AM PDT
Hmm. I just double checked a couple different blogs and yes, it was April 27th. I wonder why the one I read before I made my post said July? Sorry about that. So with that in mind, I would have to say I believe the reason there was no aprox date announced it because they want to wait until they know a locked in date and have started to fill the international "supply chain" (distribution sites in the available countries) before they say anything. Just a guess of course.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 6:53:11 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
and I can remember being a little bit upset that those of us in the kindle store countries had to wait a bit longer than the rest of the international community, but then ours shipped with the latest update already installed (the multiple langues/translation/landscape mode one)

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 1:39:47 PM PDT
Waiting for the Paperwhite in Norway to!

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 1:40:50 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 7, 2012 1:42:27 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Now Live - Join the Kindle Discussion Session
1368 1 hour ago
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 3870 8 seconds ago
OASIS: Please Amazon! 69 52 seconds ago
SwagBucks Thread 2016 578 7 minutes ago
silk browser keeps crashing on fire hd 8.9 363 8 minutes ago
Kindle app for Android - invalid item problem 353 13 minutes ago
Echo Music Shuffle Broken 50 23 minutes ago
Frozen Kindle Paperwhite 81 26 minutes ago
Why don't kindle books start in the Cover? 204 32 minutes ago
kindle freetime text to speech?? 16 42 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  86
Total posts:  228
Initial post:  Sep 7, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 19 customers

Search Customer Discussions