Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

I recieved a Kindle Fire HD for Christmas.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 26, 2012 12:28:30 PM PST
I am trying to use my Kindle Fire HD. I also recieved a 25 dollar gift card I have already installed it into my account. I am trying to get some free apps and it want download them it keeps telling me that the payment failed but its a free app so i am confused on what i need to do. I have a account balance of 25 dollars. I just need help i have read everything there is to read n here. I do not want to put my debit information on here if i don't have to . Someone Please help. i am getting aggrivated.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 12:31:00 PM PST
Unfortunately, you need a debit or credit card to get free apps. A pre-paid card will work, too. It's just necessary to establish residency.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 12:31:28 PM PST
You need a credit card attached to your 1-click even for free items and even if you have a gift card balance. If you don't want your debit/credit info on your account you can purchase a pre-paid Visa card with a small amount and use that.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 12:40:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 12:40:24 PM PST
I got a kindle fire hd for x-mas, do we need a separate account to download books to both devices?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 12:43:34 PM PST
Caledonia says:
if you share an acocunt it will share ALL features of that account, books, music, credit card info etc. You can have a book on both of your devices.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 12:52:12 PM PST
why want the new Kindle fire Hd let you flip to read any way you turn your Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 1:11:01 PM PST
Maybe you have the screen locked?

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 1:23:08 PM PST
Pammy says:
My daughter has told me she is gettig me a Kindle Fire HD as a after Christmas gift because she is tired of me constantly saying I will get one some day! Hahahaha! But my questions are...how many books can be dowloaded? Is there sufficient memory? Can the memory be upgraded? I just don't want her wasting money. I'm disabled so this is really a great gift for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 1:25:06 PM PST
Hi Pammy - The Fire HD comes in several models with several levels of storage. Even with the most basic model, you can have hundreds if not thousands of books on the device. However, Amazon stores all your books for free in the Cloud on their servers, so you do not need to keep all your books on your device at one time.

The storage on a Kindle Fire cannot be upgraded.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 1:26:34 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
several hundred, but you don't have to download them all - you can just download the ones you haven't read and leave the others on your account

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 1:28:05 PM PST
Got my Kindle Fire HD for Christmas too and have spent the morning learning how to use. Have installed few free apps, including my email links and also book. I am so excited to have this as my original kindle is now 3 years old. Haven't figured out the camera, but happy with all have been able to figure out. Do with there was a written users manual included with my new Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 1:29:34 PM PST
Margaret - There is a user guide on the Kindle Fire itself. Go to "apps" and click on the "Help and Feedback" icon (looks like a blue bubble with a white question mark) and you will see the user's guide there.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 1:30:18 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
either use the help files on this site or the ones on your kindle (needs wifi) - they contain most of the information you'll need and you can always ask us for the rest of it

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 5:10:41 PM PST
Pammy says:
Laura and everyone who responded to my post...Thank You! My daughter is ordering it as I type. I started to go to Best Buy (I'm a little antsy..LOL) but she convinced me to wait on it!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 5:12:44 PM PST
Pammy - You're very welcome!

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 5:21:52 PM PST
Lora
how do I get a facebook icon to appear on my main menu of my Kindle fire? I have it loaded but it doesnt show as an icon.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 5:23:00 PM PST
I got a Kindle Fire HD for Christmas and I can't Register my Kindle. Registration Errorr Message "There was an error while registering your Kindle. Please try again later. For help, visit www.kindle.com/support."

I tried this and there is no help for this error message and I so not know what else to do. There is no number to call for problems and I am at my wits end. I have an amazon account. Please help.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 5:27:28 PM PST
Contact Customer Support here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us/

Use the phone option. You send your phone number, they call call you back in a minute or two (sometimes within seconds)

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 5:29:18 PM PST
Bitsybooky says:
How do I get the Dropbox (the cloud) to work on my Kindle Fire HD 7? I'm so confused.....Must be the "day after fog".....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 5:30:15 PM PST
Lora - You should be able to add the app as a "favorite" and then if you click the white star on the bottom of the homescreen, your favorites pop up. Long press on the app icon to see an "add to favorites" option.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 5:31:02 PM PST
pickypicky says:
I love it ...I had some previous experience with a friend' s

ipad and I much prefer my kindle fire !!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 5:32:00 PM PST
Dropbox and Amazon's Cloud are two different things. The Amazon Cloud stores all your purchased content, which you can view on the Fire under each tab (music, books, apps, etc...) by toggling between "Cloud" and "Device".

Dropbox is an online storage website.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 6:26:29 PM PST
Mary McManus says:
Also I recommend Mastering the Kindle Fire which is currently free but won't be that way forever.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 6:37:21 PM PST
Thanks for the hint...have spent much of today "exploring" my new Kindle and did find users guide. I also had it up on my laptop so here I was...laptop on Amazon and Kindle in my hands learning to use. Think have come quite far today in the learning mode. I have ordered a cover as want it protected when putting in my purse...I carry it everywhere...always an opportunity to read more of current book. This is an amazing addition for me as I really wanted the lighted background. I do have macular degeneration, no longer able to read books so what a blessing this is for me and others with same disease. Also, as my vision fades will be able to take full advantage of the audio books...did test out the sound...excellent.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
FREE Books and Chat - July 2016 11 1 minute ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 5648 12 minutes ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 221 16 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 9574 19 minutes ago
Kindle book I paid for suddenly not available to read on Kindle 67 38 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 1904 46 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 8793 1 hour ago
Gifting a Kindle 6 1 hour ago
Best Stylus for the Paperwhite 2 1 hour ago
Al's Place 36 Degrees of Separation 2281 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Dec 26, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions