Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books and Chat - Friday, Nov. 9, 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 196 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 8, 2012 11:01:19 PM PST
Happy Friday Everyone.......

Welcome! Join us as we peruse the free book links, share our selections and enjoy some conversation.

Thanksgiving is just two under weeks away. I know that many of you are thinking about your menu, your guest list and how to avoid the arguments between siblings and other family members. The question of which tablecloth to use and the appropriate china to coordinate is probably paramount in your thoughts. Or not! Maybe you have made reservations at a local restaurant or have been invited to someone else's home.

Whatever your plans may be, I hope your Thanksgiving is filled with family, special friends, maybe a little football and of course a great feast... Not necessarily in that order!

Whatever the case, this seems to be the perfect time for a little Thanksgiving humor to put all of your plans and worries in perspective.........

[ [ [ [ [ [ ----- Be Careful Who You Let Set The Table ----- ] ] ] ] ] ]

This is more embarrassing for my mother than for me because I wasn't quite four years old when it happened. My mother taught me to read when I was 3 years old (her first mistake). One day I was in the bathroom and noticed one of the cabinet doors was ajar. I read the box in the cabinet. I then asked my mother why she was keeping napkins in the bathroom. Didn't they belong in the kitchen? Not wanting to burden me with unnecessary facts she told me that those were for special occasions. Now fast forward a few months. It's Thanksgiving Day, and my folks are leaving to pick up the pastor and his wife for dinner. Mom had assignments for all of us while they were gone. Mine was to set the table. You guessed it! When they returned, the pastor came in first and immediately burst into laughter. Next came his wife who gasped, then began giggling. Next came my father, who roared with laughter. Then came mom, who almost died of embarrassment when she saw each place setting on the table with a "special occasion" napkin at each plate, with the fork carefully arranged on top. I had even tucked the little tails in so they didn't hang off the edge. My mother asked me why I used these and, of course, my response sent the other adults into further fits of laughter. "But Mom, you SAID they were for special occasions!!

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ ----- Church Bulletin ----- ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

The sentence in the Thanksgiving edition of my church bulletin intended to say "Thank you, Lord, for the many miracles we are too blind to see." But in what might have been a classic Freudian slip, the sentence read "Thank you, Lord, for the many miracles we are too blond to see."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ummm, peanut butter and chocolate, my idea of heaven!

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars

6 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup natural chunky or smooth peanut butter (I use Skippy Natural)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup chocolate chips (semi-sweet)

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease an 8 x 8" pan

Whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.

Cream the butter and peanut butter together until smooth. Beat in the sugars until combined.

Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Stir in the vanilla.

Stir in the flour mixture. Add the chocolate chips, stirring until combined.

Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for about 30- 32 minutes. Cool completely before cutting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Links to free book resources:

Kinlib:
http://us.kinlib.com/

Ereaderiq:
ereaderiq.com/free/mn
ereaderiq.com/free/

Dailyfreebooks:
dailyfreebooks.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*** SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS ***
You are welcome to join us for conversation, however, self-promotion or posting a link to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. Please go to the "Meet Our Authors" area for that, as many of us do check there as well.
THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES!

Starter Schedule:

Kay Kay - Saturday, November 10 Start Time 12:30-1:30 am EST
Zoo Keeper - Sunday, November 11 Start Time 6:00-7:00 am EST
Leonard Little - Monday, November 12 Start Time 12:30 am PST
Irish M - Tuesday, November 13 Start Time 5-6 am EST
Courtney - Wednesday, November 14 Start Time 12:30 EST
Adams - Thursday, Nov 15th Start Time 11pm to Midnight PST
Robb - Friday, Nov 16th Start Time 11pm to Midnight PST
TnT - Saturday, Nov 17th Start Time 7-8 CST at latest
DonnaBeeGood - Sunday, November 18th Start Time 11:30pm MST on November 17th
Leonard Little - Monday, November 19 Start Time 12:30 am PST
Zoo Keeper - Tuesday, Nov 20th Start Time 6-7 am EST
Robb - Thursday, November 22 Start Time 11pm to Midnight PST
Kay Kay - Friday, November 23 Start Time 12:30-1:30 am EST
Kay Kay - Saturday, November 24 Start Time 12:30-1:30 am EST
Lover of Books - Friday, Nov. 30 Start Time 12:30am PST

Open Dates:
Wednesday, November 21
Sunday, November 25
Monday, November 26
Tuesday, November 27
Wednesday, November 28
Thursday, November 29

*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. ***

Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info.

If you'd like to start a thread, but are unsure of how to do so, please let us know and we'll happily walk you through the process.

Link to yesterday's thread:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdMsgID=Mx12YDPGUPT6VXS&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxLKJ2V2T9BUGX#Mx12YDPGUPT6VXS

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:15:48 PM PST
Loved the story.....At least everybody had a since of humor about it....

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:41:49 PM PST
Janine says:
Thank you Lover of books for the opening really enjoyed story my Friday question is do you guys celebrate Thanks giving more than Christmas or the same I always read about big Thanks giving dinners where the whole family's together we do that Christmas day as we don't have a Thanks giving day.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:08:42 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
@LOB thank you for the giggle and a recipe I am definitely going to have to try.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:56:24 AM PST
Janine, We celebrate both.....Thanksgiving is the start of the holiday season....It is the day that the early setlers gave thanks for getting them through the first winter when North America was first settled...
Then Christmas, family, friends parties, gifts...a time for happiness and joy..Then we end the holiday season with New Years....

Of course different families have different traditions, but it is a hussle and bussle time of year...Hope that answers your question.
If it doesn't shout out again and somebody else will answer or I will try to clarify.. Sometimes we don't think about people in other countries..

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 1:03:46 AM PST
bookfan says:
Hi LOB!

Thank you for a great start to the thread!

As I live across the pond, we don't celebrate Thanksgiving, but, I did live in the States as a child, plus had a lot of American friends as a student, so we always tried to do a Thanksigving dinner.

It's a very meaninful celebration -- and one of the American traditions I wouldn't mind seeing spreading out across the world!

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 1:13:12 AM PST
There are two from my wish list today.....
Eminent Domain (The Mitzy Neuhaus Mysteries (Book 2))

and

Strawgirl (Bo Bradley Mysteies, Book Two)

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 1:26:41 AM PST
Janine says:
Sandy thanks sounds very busy having two big occasions near each other here organizing for Christmas is hectic we do take turns hosting it we all would make something leg of lamb, gammon, roast beef and duck we don't really make turkey with lots of veggies and salads and 3 or 4 deserts

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 2:12:00 AM PST
We usually at least in my family do a turkey at thanksgiving and then a ham at Christmas.
Then the rest of the meal is about the same for both holidays...Mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, corn, cranberry sauce, then a raw vegtable plate, (brocolli, carrots, celery, califlower, green onions) and of course dinner rolls and desserts....
My mom makes the best fudge and always makes way to much of it...

Most of the time the raw veggies don't really get eaten but they ready for a stir fry in a couple of days.. The best part of both days is the getting together with friends and family..

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 2:16:23 AM PST
Book Fan, I agree, Thanksgiving is a very meaningful holiday...and it shouldn't matter where in the world you live...Hopefully everybody has things to be thankful for...

I think that people get so busy with with life that they don't stop to think about the good in our lives..
I'm a very musical person and as Mac Davis sang,,,Stop And Smell The Roses..

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 4:10:01 AM PST
JudyD says:
Sorry folks, late leaving for work, so only showing what is on my wish list and hoping I don't duplicate - have a great day. By the way, thanks to Lover of Books, for starting the day and kicking off the weekend:

Eminent Domain (The Mitzy Neuhaus Mysteries (Book 2))
White Warrior (Dr. Paul)
Tough Cookie (Maggie Sullivan mysteries)
Angel Moon (Blood and Sunlight)
Escaping the Arroyo
Mind Games (A Diana Racine Psychic Suspense)
How To Make Iced Coffee - 20 Best Iced Coffee Recipes (The joys of coffee) **I know those of you in colder climates would not necessarily be interested in this at this time, but tuck it away for the hot days of summer.

Have a healthy and happy day!

Judy

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 4:14:33 AM PST
B.J. says:
Friday, November 9th 2012, 03:03 AM PST

http://us.kinlib.com/new/9822/ (398)

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 4:39:35 AM PST
Suze says:
Thanks LOB!

Great start and I love your recipes...peanut butter and chocolate chips...doesn't get much better than that! You also set up the Friday Question perfectly.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 4:40:39 AM PST
Suze says:
~~~~~~~Friday Question~~~~~~~

In the U.S. the month of November has many special days, there's:

-Election Day
-Veterans' Day
-Thanksgiving Day
-Black Friday
-Cyber Monday

If you live in a different country, are there any national holidays in November or do you personally have any traditions this month??

For us in the U.S., who celebrate an American Thanksgiving, what is one of your quirky customs or activities you do every single Thanksgiving??

Also, please tell us 1 food dish ( besides turkey, of course), which if it wasn't on the menu, it just wouldn't be Thanksgiving!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 4:46:02 AM PST
One food dish that cannot be left out is sweet potatoes....

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:00:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 5:29:44 AM PST
Leo Little says:
Nothing really quirky for us on Turkey day just family, good food, and football...Dallas always plays on Thanksgiving....we have to have the dressing or stuffing some may call it...made with croutons and cornbread, broth and vegetables...mmm...cant wait

ETA Thanks for the hilarious start...LOB hope you are over your bout with the flu.

Leo

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:15:57 AM PST
one from my wish list
Mind Games (A Diana Racine Psychic Suspense)

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:24:37 AM PST
Irish M says:
Thanks for the start, hope you are feeling better! I am sooo looking forward to Thanksgiving. My sister-in-law is the most amazing cook, all homemade and organic. Good food and family, nothing better. No black Friday shopping either.

On another note, it just goes to show how much this thread has become ingrained into my daily life. One of the headlines in a local paper was talking about a gluten-free expo and I immediately thought of Robb.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:35:28 AM PST
Tyger0902 says:
My mom's stuffing passed down from her grandmother. It's made with white bread, milk, raisins, and celery. I'll eat others stuffing but mom's is the best. I should call it dressing since it is no longer stuffed in the turkey since ours is fried turkey.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:50:46 AM PST
BubbaK says:
Good morning all! Thanks for the start and laugh LOB. It's been a busy week and going to be busy/fun weekend. Its GSs weekend to come over so we are having his birthday party tomorrow. His bd is next week the 13th. Cant believe he will be 10. Have to do some running and get groceries, pick him up at 4:00, do some cleaning, tomorrow morning he bowls, then party time! Ive had Little Miss 3 days this week and boy am I behind. Hopefully tonight when everyone is settled for the night I will catch up on the last day or so. BBL!

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:56:21 AM PST
Janine says:
Must say I am a bit reluctant to post here as every time I post get down voted sorry if I ask silly questions but with the answers I learn every time something new so thanks.

@ Suze no public holidays in November here, in December there are 3
16 December: Day of Reconciliation/ Day of the Vow (History as the Voortrekkers in preparation for the Battle of Blood River on 16 December 1838 against the Zulus took a Vow before God that they would build a church and that they and their descendants would observe the day as a day of thanksgiving should they be granted victory. With the advent of democracy in South Africa 16 December retained its status as a public holiday. South Africa's first non-racial and democratic government was tasked with promoting reconciliation and national unity. One way in which it aimed to do this symbolically was to acknowledge the significance of the 16 December in both the Afrikaner and liberation struggle traditions and to rename this day as the Day of Reconciliation.) Not the same as yours more church services.
25 December: Christmas Day
26 December: Day of Goodwill

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:11:49 AM PST
lilbubbles says:
i live in Barbados
We have
Independence Day
Remembrance Day but it is not a holiday it like veterans Day

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 6:13:39 AM PST
Jose P. says:
I found one from my wishlist free:

The Rudolph Challenge (Flea's Five Christmases Book 2)

As the title suggests there are 5 books in this series. Book #1 was free over the summer, probably will go again. Either way it's only $0.99. Book 3-5 are $2.99 I believe.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:17:03 AM PST
Leo Little says:
I gave you an up vote...the dv fairies sneak in and out they don't say who they are

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:17:39 AM PST
Zoo Keeper says:
Janine,
Don't let those silly downvotes bother you. Here on this thread, we decided long ago to just ignore them and pretend they don't exist. You go right ahead and post to your heart's content. I, for one, enjoy your post and love it when you share more about your country. Which, I'm sorry to say, I don't know much about.

Silly questions don't exist, just the silly answers we sometimes give if someone's in a silly mood and something tickles them. Ask away!!!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for the Original Kindle Paperwhite
0 3 days ago
Announcement
News: Kindle for Android app Update 4.13 Now Available
0 4 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces New Kindle Paperwhite: The Most Popular Kindle, Now Even Better
0 12 days ago
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Update 4.9 Now Available
0 May 27, 2015
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
60 May 19, 2015
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
Upset Voyage owner!! 23 50 seconds ago
Newest paperwhite 0 2 minutes ago
June Informal Poll--What are you reading 528 3 minutes ago
Welcome To The Quirky Zoo! Home To Many Exotic and Everyday Creatures Including a Platypus! 1762 3 minutes ago
Phone upgrade, ebook not compatible with NEWER phone? 4 5 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  54
Total posts:  196
Initial post:  Nov 8, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions