Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

I wish

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 4, 2012 10:46:53 AM PST
With all the things everyone wants... wouldn't it be nice that if when you buy a book to send to your kindle, let us check which collection we want it to go into and save us having to put them in once they arrive? I usually have a good ten books or more each time I turn my wify on.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 10:52:07 AM PST
#firstworldproblems

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 10:57:04 AM PST
Cassie Anne says:
What if I want a book in one collection, my husband wants it in another, and my sister wants it in a third?

What if I want it in one collection on one Kindle, but in a different collection on another?

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 11:01:15 AM PST
Dittie says:
What if, on the same Kindle, I want it in a genre collection, an author collection and a series collection?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 12:05:21 PM PST
Carbonbased says:
What if there was already the ability to have different collections on each device?
...oh, wait...never mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 12:13:38 PM PST
Cassie Anne says:
That's sort of my point. Since collections are managed on the device, I can do that. It would be far more complex to manage that on the MYK page.

The OP wants to somehow specify which book goes in which collection using the MYK page.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 12:36:09 PM PST
Carbonbased says:
I kinda think the OP wants a dropdown within the dropdown list of devices.

I'm with Erich on this one--Really? You need relief from having to right-click the title after it loads? Oh the horror!!

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 1:47:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 1:50:00 PM PST
I'm the op. I know I can put the same book in several different collections at the same time. I'm just saying it would be cool if Amazon had a check box that pulled down that you checked which collection(s) you wanted the book to go into on your kindle when you buy it. I know it's a horror! Oh My! I also know I'm lazy. I currently have over 200 books on my kindle that need to be put in collections (I've been busy reading). If I had put them in collections as I bought them I wouldn't have the horror. (snork) And I'd stand a better chance of having done that if I had been able to do it when I bought them. I don't always have my kindle with me (how times have changed). I buy on line. I read on four different devices (hooray for sync) depending on when I'm reading. I do use my kk more than the rest (because of the text to talk) but poor thing is getting overwhelmed. Madam Read a Lot has been begging me to get the books in order. I figure if Amazon can fix it so all the kindles and apps can sync they out to be able to figure out how to do this too. :-) Just saying. This isn't a complaint or a wine... just thinking it would be cool to do it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 1:51:54 PM PST
Dittie says:
That's all fine and good for you but what about someone with only one or two devices but with a hundred collections? There's always some other circumstance that people don't factor in when they wish for this or that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 2:00:26 PM PST
Cassie Anne says:
I think it's a far more complex problem that you realize. It might be fairly easy for a few devices with a few collections, but may ultimately build limits into the number of devices and/or collections supported.

Then factor in which system (Kindle or MYK) would take precedence when syncing in the future. For example, if you move a book from "To Be Read" to "Completed" on your Kindle, would it move back once your Kindle syncs with Amazon?

If you can get one Kindle "in shape" (lol), you can then import the collections from that one Kindle to your others.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 2:38:31 PM PST
I suppose this would be the same as what a lot of people were asking for.... being able to have collections on line (not cloud but the other place). I could org. a lot faster on line than I can on my kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 2:41:02 PM PST
Loz says:
Have you tried using a program like Calibre? Depending on the kindle you have, there is a collections plug-in for Calibre that allows you to create collections on your computer and send to the kindle.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 2:48:50 PM PST
I had Calibre but it was as much work as just doing it on the kindle. Once they gave us collections I just let it go. I do like some of the stuff they've added. Like in our library we can click on the x and see a cover of the book, stuff like that. I'm impressed with the updates they have done. However, I sure hope they don't ever get rid of the kk because I like that a whole lot better than the touch (which I had but gave back to get the kk). I do get my collections up to date about once a month but it take so long to do it. Time I can use for reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 2:52:14 PM PST
Loz says:
I found it easier myself. What I try to do is sync every time I make a purchase and put the relevant book into a collection straight away. But it can take some time getting them set up in the first place.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 3:15:34 PM PST
Cluny says:
I would like the kFire carousel to have catagories like mystery, romance etc......it is often easier to locate or browse for book selection quickly on my massive DTB shelves than it is to locate a book on massive kFire library....plus it would be nice if book blurb were included with book. When I am trying to find a new book to eread, I have to refer to Amazon page often especially if it was a freebie that I "purchased " a while back. It is so much easier to go to DTB bookshelves and peruse book blurbs there and make a selection.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 5:54:28 PM PST
One option for you is to import your Amazon purchases to Shelfari and tag them with the genre.
You then click on a book cover and the book's page will have the description on it

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 6:02:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 6:03:33 PM PST
It's the organizing done ON the Kindle.... I have shelfari and like it. I use that to print out what I have so sometimes I can just look on there and do a search. But I need them to be organized on my kindle. Especially if I'm out eating and finish a book and need to bring a new one up. Right now I have collections with about 150 books not in collections. I guess I need to just sit down and get it done. At this point it may be easier for me to just wipe the kindle clean and just upload about 50 that I know I'm ready to read. It would be a lot faster than taking what's on there and organizing them. Either that or I could just stop grabbing the free ones I like until I get them done. But who wants to stop grabbing books that I know I'll want to read? Man.... you should see the ton of free cookbooks I have...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 6:06:36 PM PST
Dittie says:
My dear old dad says it's easier to keep up than to catch up. I tend to agree with that.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 6:13:35 PM PST
I agree. Now to stop leaving my kk in the car so when I buy those books I'll have it sitting here so I can do just that. :-/
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Nov 4, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions