Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Books in China

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 4, 2012 10:17:41 PM PST
I am going to be living in China for the next year and I wanted to know if I will be able to download English Kindle books in China. I have seen several forum posts stating that people have had some trouble downloading/ purchasing books for their Kindles in China. However, most of these posts are years old and I was wondering if anything has changed.

I spoke with Amazon customer support but did not get a definitive answer.

The lady did say that one way to get around it would be to have someone in the US purchase the books I want through the account that my Kindle is linked to and when my Kindle connects to wifi in China it will automatically download the books that were purchases by my friend/family member in the US through my US amazon account. Would this method work?

(I will be using a US account with a US credit card linked to it)

Can someone offer me some definitive answers on this topic. It would be much appreciated!

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 11:10:50 PM PST
I've gotten two different answers from Kindle customer support. One person said I cannot purchase Kindle books in China and another said that as long as I have a US based account with US based credit card it will be fine. I was wondering if anyone with any experience or knowledge on the subject could shed some light on the matter. Thank you.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 12:37:28 AM PST
If you have 3G that might not work. Make sure you keep the US cc and billing adress, with Chinese CC you will have access to NO books. I used to download my books through USB when I was in China, and never had any issues. My kindle back then didn't have any wifi, so don't know about that.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 1:18:59 AM PST
The Artist says:
*Officially* Amazon can't sell Kindle books in China. But if you have a U.S. credit card with a U.S. billing address, you keep your home country listed as the U.S., and you only download using wi-fi or via usb, Amazon doesn't really know where you're located. Also, if you have a 3G device, you don't want to surf the net using 3G for the same reason.

Of course, I didn't tell you any of the above. That would be wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 2:57:03 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
It would not be wrong. People travel to different countries all the time. As long as they have a US credit card and billing address there is nothing wrong with this.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 3:21:34 AM PST
The problem with China (my son lives in China) and wifi, is that China blocks a number of internet sites and you have NO access to those sites without using a work around. These sites change on a regular basis. Sometimes you can use a proxy server (until China blocks that site). I can ask him if Amazon is blocked but that would be no guarantee that it wouldn't change before you get over there.

The workarounds are widely known so once you've made a few friends, someone would probably be able to tell you what you need to do. You wouldn't be able to use the workarounds on your Kindle so it would be a matter of downloading to your computer to side load to the Kindle.

If you are only going over for a year, I would plan on downloading 50 to 100 books now. This will give you reading material until you figure things out. Post back if you would like me to ask if Amazon.com is blocked right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 8:46:28 AM PST
That's what I was going to say...that the OP needs to load up on books before they leave, just in case.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 12:37:10 PM PST
The Artist says:
It was a joke, Jeff. I thought you, at least, would get it.

The OP is not traveling. He'll be living in China.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 1:18:33 PM PST
Thanks for all your help everyone! I really appreciate it. So it seems as long as I keep my account registers in the US and used a US based credit card I should be fine. I don't plan on getting the 3G version so that shouldn't be an issue. I also plan on using a proxy network in China so access to sites shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully everything goes alright. Just in case I discover that Kindle won't work at all, does anyone know if Nooks have the same issue? I would rather have a Kindle but if I discover once I get there that it won't work I will be forced to try something else. Nook seems like the next best thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 1:23:57 PM PST
Just be prepared, Daniel. My son has gone through a number of proxies, including paid proxies since he moved to China last Christmas. I think he even tried VPN's as well. What works today, may not work next month. It is really a cat and mouse game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 1:56:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 1:56:23 PM PST
Yes, Nooks and the Apple iBookstore all have the same issue. It has to do with copyright restrictions on selling international works, not the seller through which those works are distributed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 2:06:19 PM PST
The Artist says:
It might be best to just use usb transfer.

http://www.amazon.com/kindletransfer
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0x9da562c4)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Nov 4, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions