Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire - Foreign Language Dictionary

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 27, 2012 6:23:29 AM PDT
Amy Psaila says:
I upgraded my Kindle Touch to a Kindle Fire and I just found out that I cannot use a foreign language dictionary on this device, can this be right? I like to read in Spanish and on the Kindle Touch, I could touch the Spanish word and the definition in English would come up, but this is not working on the Kindle Fire (I have downloaded the Spanish-to-English dictionary). This is extremely disappointing that the Fire, which I assumed was an upgrade, does not have this feature, I now have to go back to the Kindle Touch for this?

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 6:42:38 AM PDT
GnomeEd says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 7:10:18 AM PDT
Amy Psaila says:
Still, one would expect this rather basic function to work with the Kindle Fire. It makes no rational sense that then English dictionary works with the Fire, but not other dictionaries. I don't understand the comment that this product was meant for the US market, there are US customers that would like to use a dictionary other then the English dictionary.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012 7:12:38 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
and that may be one of the reasons the Fire isn't available internationally as well as the licensing for the apps and media streaming

It was only last October that any other languages were truly supported on any kindle

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 7:28:19 AM PDT
Amy Psaila says:
ok, thanks, i can always go back to the Touch. Is there anyway to have 2 devices, ie have the foreign language books on the touch and everything else on the Kindle? I guess I would need to create a separate account for that?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012 7:34:36 AM PDT
No need for two accounts. Just download the foreign language ones to the Touch and everything else to the Fire. The "everything else" will show up on the Touch under Archives (which is just a list of what IS on the account and IS NOT on the device); the foreign language ones will be on the Fire's Cloud, which is the Fire's equivalent. That might be useful if, for instance, a book you're reading in French had color illustrations. You download it to both, read on the Touch, view the pictures on the Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 8:53:21 AM PDT
I have been using a Spanish-English dictionary on my Kindles for years, not just since last October. I read a lot in Spanish and German and need the dictionary support. I had no idea it was no longer included in Kindle Fire--it is still a Kindle after all. Oh, and by the way, I live in Minnesota and seldom leave it. Can't get much more US than that.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 9:16:55 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
I think on the Kindle Fire it has more to do with the operating system being totally different than the e-ink kindles

Maybe when they release it internationally...

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 10:51:52 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 5, 2012 10:56:29 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 11:07:46 AM PDT
I own 2 kindles and so far so good with both. One is e-ink for outside reading which is fantastic, the other for inside reading. I was recently gifted a Samsung Galaxy tablet 2.7 and it has Kindle as one of the apps. Great! I thought...until I opened the kindle app and found that the dictionary feature is not part of the android package. Thinking it was perhaps outdated I downloaded silverlight and chrome to the device as well as the kindle for android, no dictionary yet. Does Kindle for android not include the dictionary feature when reading books purchased through amazon or any other source? Or am I doing something wrong? HELP:(

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 1:28:00 PM PDT
Tenmile says:
Very odd that Amazon could not figure out how to program the Fire so it could accept foreign dictionaries. At the same time that the number of books available for the Kindle in foreign languages has exploded Amazon damaged its capability to support foreign language reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 6:38:38 AM PDT
By "upgrade", she obviously means "improved version of a device" and expects it to have additional features, not lack the features found on an earlier version of the device. Whether it's "meant for US customers only" is irrelevant, unless you're implying that "US customers" don't want to learn Spanish.

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 6:57:17 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
on the Kindle Fire pages on the UK:

Choose Your Language
You can set your language to French, English, German, Spanish, Italian - including home and menu displays and dictionary support.

on the french site:

Choisissez votre langue
Vous pouvez choisir la langue de votre Kindle Fire parmi les langues suivantes : français, anglais, allemand, espagnol ou italien. L'accueil, les menus et le dictionnaire s'afficheront dans la langue choisie.

no mention of other languages on the US product page or help files

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 8:15:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2012 8:24:17 AM PDT
CBRetriever: that will give you a definition in the language of the book you are reading, which is good for intermediate and advanced students, but many beginners would benefit from and be willing to pay for a translating dictionary. It's a mystery to me why Amazon won't allow us to do this. There are apps, such as Ireaderstudy (for European languages) and Wakaru (for Japanese), that translate words you select in the ebook you're reading, but you'll have to find your own books, and you can't use the protected files you buy for the Kindle, for example.

We want to buy books from Amazon, buy bilingual dictionaries from Amazon, and use those dictionaries to read those books, on our Kindles or our Kindle apps. Got that, Amazon?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 10:50:22 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
and that's why I use my Kindle Touch with it's Instant Translation for reading foreign language books

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 2:04:49 PM PDT
And that's why we want it for the other platforms.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 2:10:01 PM PDT
CBRetriever says:
send them an email: kindle-feedback@amazon.com

they're more likely to read it than they are to read a post on the forum

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 2:17:21 AM PDT
TM says:
Well, there's always cut and paste onto Freetranslations.com. More cumbersome, but free and and ok translation.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 2:59:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 25, 2012 3:00:01 AM PDT
Yes, I recently bought a Samsung tablet (not for Kindle books, actually), but thought I'd give the Kindle app a try. I'm struggling a bit through "Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal", and the rules of quidditch would certainly benefit from a translating dictionary (especially since I haven't read the book in english!). I hope this feature does appear in the app sometime.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 6:48:57 PM PST
As one who reads everyday in German. Spanish. and English this failure of the Kindle Fire to integrate forein language dictionaries is very disappointing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:10:50 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
the latest version of the Kindle Fire and the Kindle Fire HD both have built in german, italian, english, spanish and french dictionaries - they work by using the language the book is in to define the word, but it's also possible in an english coded book with a few foreign phrases to change the definition language

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 7:23:47 AM PST
FYI, Amazon: I'm ONLY using the Kindle to buy foreign language books. Even though I'm in the US...get those dictionaries working!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 7:35:24 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
the German, Italian, Spanish, french and English dictionaries all work perfectly fine on the new Kindle Fires (offered after September 2012)

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:26:45 AM PST
Stu says:
So the new Kindles support dictionary look-up for European languages but does anybody know if they have the same for Japanese, Chinese etc? I thought with the recent release of the Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Fire HD range in Japan they would have dictionary look-up support.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:55:48 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
they have dictionaries for german, english, spanish, french, italian and portuguese as part of their operation system and you can use any of them to define the word

I'm presuming there may be a japanese update when their Kindle Fires are released (that's what happened when the European Fires were released - the other languages were added to the new Kindle Fires as an update)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
SCAM ALERT 121 2 minutes ago
RAOK, welcome to the wonderful world of RAOK 6976 3 minutes ago
how to turn off recommendations? 43 3 minutes ago
kindle Fire 2015 keyboard 1 7 minutes ago
Want to Trade/Borrow.... 18 11 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The Answers Are Blowing In The Wind 512 11 minutes ago
February 2016, Informal Poll, what are you reading 102 11 minutes ago
Garbled book on Kindle paperwhite 16 11 minutes ago
Hear Ye! Hear Ye! We're Quirky And We're Not Going To Take It Anymore! 2016, You've Been Warned! So Geese And Tally Ho! 1732 14 minutes ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 4868 16 minutes ago
Restore PDF Kindle Android App 3 22 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Jul 27, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions