Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Someone is selling pirated Daphne Du Maurier books in Kindle Store.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 21, 2012 12:28:04 PM PST
I am one of the many people who have been waiting for Daphne Du Maurier's Novels to be published on kindle. (They are available in the UK.) I was therefore understandably excited when yesterday I found a copy of her book "Rebecca" available for purchase in the kindle store. I thought- at last, her books will be available. And the price was only $2.99 ( In hindsight that should have set off warning bells.) I snapped it up immediately. But after I downloaded it I noticed something strange. Although the entire text was there and the cover- there was NO copyright or publisher information in the book.

I researched a few things online and came to the conclusion that the book was indeed pirated and I returned the copy I had purchased.

Then later in the evening two more "Du Maurier" books showed up for sale in the Kindle store- both at $2.99. One of the books was "My Cousin Rachel" I downloaded a sample and realized in wasn't even the correct text- but some kind of summery or paraphrasing of the original. The other book, "The Apple Tree" has been out of print for years.

I have tried to alert Amazon to the situation, but the representative I conversed with had no idea who Daphne Du Maurier was and could not understand my concern. As of this posting the three books are still available. I have written reviews for "Rebecca" and "My Cousin Rachel" warning people away.

I understand that pirating goes on quite a lot with Kindle books. But I have never heard of it happening with an author as well known as Daphne Du Maurier. I think it appalling that some scumbag is making money off of someone elses work.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:38:27 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:39:33 PM PST
Just Peachy says:
Near the bottom of the product page you will see:

FEEDBACK
Do you believe that this item violates a copyright? Click here

Click on the words "Click Here" and report it. Someone in the past uploaded Harry Potter books. Amazon shut them down quickly.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 12:41:06 PM PST
P. M. H. says:
Call Amazon Kindle CS and ask for a supervisor and report the problem. I'm sure Amazon wants to to know about this. Keep asking for a higher up person until someone understands what you are talking about.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:41:17 PM PST
Mike says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:41:48 PM PST
Um, JJ, Daphne Du Maurier is dead..................

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:42:07 PM PST
Zanzibar says:
You'd need a seance for that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:42:15 PM PST
Kribu says:
Contacting the author might be a bit tricky, considering Daphne du Maurier has been dead for a while - but not long enough for her works to be public domain, I think.

I'm going to guess this is some "enterprising" person taking advantage of their apparently being no US publisher with the appropriate rights who would be interested in publishing her works as ebooks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:42:25 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:42:55 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Then someone from her estate or the publisher. Whoever holds the copyright.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 12:44:30 PM PST
The Author is dead. She died in 1989 and her estate owns the rights to all her works. And Yes They Are Pirated. Once her books are released legitimately it will be with a major publisher- Her works are worth a lot of money.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:44:32 PM PST
Might not be so much a lack of interest as a lack of a clear-cut rights holder. Back when Ms D. passed away, digital rights would not have been something included in any will or other contracts.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 12:47:17 PM PST
You can only report copyright infringement if You are the copyright holder.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:48:42 PM PST
Kribu says:
Yeah, hence the "apparently no US publisher with the appropriate rights" part. It's impossible to know here whether no one has the rights or just hasn't got around to it - I'm also inclined to think no one simply has the rights, as she'd certainly be important and relevant enough for her works to be worthwhile getting into a digital format and sell, but stranger things have happened.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 12:55:37 PM PST
I imagine her estate is negotiating with publishers over the licence to sell her ebooks in the US. They are already being sold in the UK.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:56:47 PM PST
Mary Jane says:
But somebody must know who has the rights if they are available in the UK.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:57:49 PM PST
MaryG says:
http://www.dumaurier.org/copyright.html

There's a brief form to fill out. (Your name, email, and a message box.)

They should be able to straighten things out with Amazon, if you provide direct links to the books.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 1:05:10 PM PST
Different publishers can own individual licences to sell a specific form of the book, and it also varies by region or country. The publisher who owns the licence to sell Du Maurier's ebooks in the UK does not own the right to sell them in the US.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 1:12:14 PM PST
Thank You Mary G. I just filled it out. We'll see what happens next.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:25:29 PM PST
~nospin says:
Whenever I run into copyright issues, I notify Amazon through the product page, as well as notifying the copyright holder.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:36:42 PM PST
Cotton Socks says:
Jeff, not very jazzy. Du Maurier died in 1989. Hard to get a comment from her.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:44:37 PM PST
Becky (NOLA) says:
She wrote several books made into great movies, Rebecca and The Birds

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:48:22 PM PST
Becky (NOLA) says:
This is the book description, no way do I think this is legit:

So the second Mrs. Maxim de Winter remembered the chilling events that led her down the turning drive past ther beeches, white and naked, to the isolated gray stone manse on the windswept Cornish coast. With a husband she barely knew, the young bride arrived at this immense estate, only to be inexorably drawn into the life of the first Mrs. de Winter, the beautiful Rebecca, dead but never forgotten...her suite of rooms never touched, her clothes ready to be worn, her servant -- the sinister Mrs. Danvers -- still loyal. And as an eerie presentiment of evil tightened around her heart, the second Mrs. de Winter began her search for the real fate of Rebecca...for the secrets of Manderley.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 1:58:45 PM PST
If you want to know how bad it's gotten- Download the sample from "My Cousin Rachel" and compare it to the "Look Inside" for the paperback version of the same book. It would be laughable if someone wasn't trying to pass it off as the original.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 7:02:04 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Dec 21, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions