Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD 8.9 Battery charging

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 76 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2012 1:34:38 PM PST
AM says:
It seems like I have a hard time charging my kindle. Its plugged in but dosent seem to charge and its brand new. Anyone else have this problem?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 1:36:03 PM PST
How are you charging it? Via USB to a computer, or using a wall plug? If the wall plug, are you using the one made for the Fire?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:44:35 PM PST
Me too. Mine just arrived yesterday and I tried charging it overnight with the USB cable and charging adapter provided with my HTC mobile phone. If I navigate to the "Device" menu, it will say "Charging" sometimes, but seems to switch between "Charging" and "Not Charging." Then again, right now, I'm not using the cable provided with the Kindle, so perhaps that matters?

I mean, it shouldn't...but...perhaps it does for some reason?

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 1:34:21 PM PST
Rev. Otter says:
why did they get rid of the "charging" indicator light, anyway?

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 1:36:34 PM PST
J. Long says:
You have to use the chord that comes with the kindle, I was using my phone charger when I first got mine and it would say charging then quit. Once I replaced my phone charger chord with the kindle one it charged fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 5:08:16 PM PST
AM says:
@ J.Long I tried using the kindle cord and it worked.Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 5:16:34 PM PST
SeaLevel274 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:13:46 PM PST
Yeah, that's what it seems to be doing for mine. Glad to know it isn't just me!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:42:11 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 3, 2012 10:43:58 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 9:10:38 PM PST
Ron Anderson says:
Yes! I have this same problem. I plug it in, leave it overnight, the next morning I turn it on and it tells me to plug it in because the battery is low. I had to unplug it, shut it down, then plug it in before it would recognize the charger.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 9:15:49 PM PST
I solved my problem. The Kindle Fire HD 8.9 (I can't speak to the 7" version) requires a 1.8 A - 2 A charging adapter in order to achieve "rapid charging." If you use a computer's USB connection, or use your cell phone's power adapter (mine's an HTC, for example), you're only going to get ~1 A of charging current, which is ridiculously slow and doesn't appear to be recognized by the Kindle the same way as a 2 A is.

I tried the brick that came with my 1st gen Kindle Fire and it charged the new 8.9 perfectly well. I then bought a power adapter that has both a 1 A and a 2 A connection to it and the 2 A works great for charging the 8.9.

Thus, you can stick with a computer or a cell phone adapter if you want, but I highly recommend finding a 1.8+ A charging adapter. It'll make you far, far happier. :-)

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 4:32:23 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
Folks,

It's understandable, even laudable, that Amazon did not add to the avalanche of redundant chargers (that add 100,000 tons of discarded solid waste to landfills every year) by including a wall charger with every KFHD. What's not laudable is Amazon implying that the KHFD (either model) can be adequately charged by connecting it to a PC or a low power charger. It's simply not a viable strategy. In the best circumstances, the charging is far too slow for most users. Add to that the fact that many PC's have unpowered usb ports and/or usb ports that turn off when the PC goes into sleep mode.

As Andrew notes above, any charger that provides a minimum 5V/1.8Amps will charge the KFHD in a few hours. There are many available, including Amazon's so-called "FastCharger." But spending $20 isn't necessary. In fact, Amazon sells a number of wall chargers that meet the minimum specs. The charger below will work perfectly well.

POWERGEN Dual USB Wall Charger, 12-Watt, White

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 6:50:44 AM PST
To jsh1120, that's the charger I got (the black one...) and they're right: works great!

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 4:33:18 PM PST
I'm so glad I read these posts. They've been very helpful re: the sloww charging if your only charging it through the usb port on the computer but I have one more concern maybe someone can help me with. When I plug the kindle in to be charged there are no light and/or battery indicators that show that the device is charging. The battery doesn't have that little lightening bolt going through it, nor is there anything showing its charging when the device is shut off either. Is this how they made them or is there a problem with my device? Any advice would be much appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 6:01:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2012 6:02:50 PM PST
Ron Anderson says:
The battery icon at top right when your kindle is on will be white if not charging, green if charging. You can also go to settings then device and there is a battery progress bar with percentage charge. When turned off there is no indication. Unfortunately, it's how they are made.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 5:06:53 PM PST
I take your point about supposedly redundant chargers, however after having spent $614 for the new kindle and then being forced to spend an extra $20 for an APPROPRIATE charger, I certainly do think I've been "had". Does anyone else share that sentiment?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 5:15:43 PM PST
$10

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 4:36:37 PM PST
Ron Anderson says:
I do now that the kindle 8.9" is on sale for $50 off...

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 7:02:50 AM PST
MA Stewart says:
I, like others, have had problems charging my HD 8.9. I used the supplied cable and a USB-AC wall convertor plug to charge the unit overnight. This configuration works fine with my iPad and iPhone. Not so with the 8.9. Despite being plugged in for 8 hours, the unit hadn't charged even 1%. Also, the charging indicator never moved from red to green, indicating it was getting current. So, I tried two different iPad wall chargers, running higher voltage/amps and eventually got the 8.9 to charge. Given the difficulty of charging the 8.9 vs. the iPad and other similar devices, I have to think there's an engineering flaw with the Kindle. Not being able to trickle charge it via computer or wall outlet without the higher volt/amp charger is a huge inconvenience and a dealbreaker if this is common with all the 8.9 models. I have a replacement unit coming tomorrow.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 7:16:52 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
How can you be "had" if you read what comes in the box?? Sounds like your mistake.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 7:18:37 AM PST
tech4 says:
I Did not know this about the new fire HD.now I will keep my fire 1.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 8:16:15 AM PST
BobA says:
Get real. Engineering flaw? And you are qualified to know that how? These are big batteries and the 8.9 uses power even on standby.
Shut it DOWN (not standby) when charging from a low-current source....
Even better use a 5v @ 1.8 (or more) amps charger since a PC USB port isn't reliable with the higher powered Fires. OK for paper-whites though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 8:28:45 AM PST
I have had mixed luck with chargers. Some charge ok (the icon goes green and the "device" menu indicates charging. I also have the battery app and notice that with others, the battery icon indicates charging but the little icon doesn't go green, the "device" doesn't say charging and in fact no charging takes place. Best I can tell, it appears to be specific to individual micro-usb plugs---some work, some don't.
And to reply to the individual who said I should have read the blurb---I still think the correct thing would have been to INCLUDE an appropriate charger, instead of being so damn stingy. That be my opinion folks, YMMV.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 8:32:41 AM PST
If you pull the screen down when the device is plugged in for charging you will get a warning message if you are con n ected to a low voltage charger.

And, remember, charging cords can fail too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 11:02:53 AM PST
Loge says:
Moreover, Stewart, there is another design flaw - Kindle Fire HD 8.9'' 16/32 Gb
stopping charhing the battery at 70% (plus/munis 2%) if you charging Kindle
under temperature below 60F (15C).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  41
Total posts:  76
Initial post:  Nov 26, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 17, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers

Search Customer Discussions