Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Suggestions for Fire HD 2 in 2013 that will win back my business.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2012 3:32:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 4:20:29 PM PST
I have not had a positive experience with my Kindle Fire HD 8.9, and ended up returning it. I really wanted to love the tablet, but it needs the following improvements in the next hardware model. Amazon engineers, I hope you are listening!

1) Quality Control: My first Fire HD had a clump of dead pixels that looked like a small hole in the screen. My replacement Fire HD somehow had TWO areas of dead pixel(s). I don't want to play replacement lottery, and it probably costs you a fortune to play it with me. So I gave up.

2) Color temperature: The color temperature of this device is very warm, causing whites to not look as white as they could be. I think it is slightly below 6500K. It would be fantastic if we had adjustable color temperature like on any LCD monitor. Color accuracy though, is fabulous, but up the color temp a little bit.

3) Speakers: Yes, the speakers are great compared to most tablets, but that's not difficult. Compared to the speakers on even the HP Touchpad though, they are no good at all. And for a media consumption device, the speakers really need to be on the front of the tablet, as with the new Nexus 10.

4) The Swype keyboard function needs a setting to disable Swype! Why? Because I constantly find that while I'm touch typing, the Swype feature thinks I'm subtly moving my finger when I tap on the letters, and will insert spaces in the middle of my words that I have to go back and delete. Horrifically annoying. And the underlying problem here is that the touch is not calibrated well for anything other than a very soft and steady touch. If I am even the least bit careless about how I touch something on the Carousel, the icon will start to scroll instead of activate.

5) Why do I need to have the Menu Tab overlayed on top of my Netflix videos and games? Distracting to watch Netflix with a menu tab overlaying the video at all times. Yet no such menu tab is on by default for Amazon Instant Video or Kindle books. I know you want us to use the Amazon video over Netflix, but impairing it like this with that menu tab does not do you any favors. Why doesn't it auto-hide? Why doesn't it work like it does in Amazon video? Or why not just let us make it invisible, but "still there" via a setting than a seasoned user can enable? Or better yet, why no physical menu button?

6) Silk is not up to par. Last night I tried reading a normal review/article at Computerworld.com and every few minutes Silk insisted that the page had crashed and I had to reload the page from scratch. It's not the only site to do this, either.

7) Allow us to install Google Play apps and games. Not even allowing us to install YouTube without jumping through hoops is silly, since Amazon Instant Video doesn't even compete with YouTube.

8) No Amazon Fresh app. I use an Amazon Fresh app on my Windows Phone, but can't use one on my Amazon tablet. Nuts!

9) Power and especially volume buttons are impossible to find. Almost every single time I want to change the volume, I struggle to hunt for those blasted buttons. Again, see the HP Touchpad for how to get it right.

10) Add user profiles like the Nook. That way my wife and son can share my tablet and have their own game saves and GameCircle achievements, for one thing, without me having to create a new account for them on another tablet and then have not be able to access our shared Kindle library. You might think hey, that's not needed, they can have their own tablet on your account. Sure, but that completely breaks GameCircle cloud saving and achievements as currently implemented. Wife and son would be using my profile, not their own.

Fix all these issues, and the next time you update your hardware, you'll have my business again. Because I hate Apple, and I love Amazon. To be fair, I must commend you on three standout areas: As an eReader, especially for someone who likes to read in the dark, the ability to have white on black crisp readable text at the lowest brightness setting is amazing! Screen resolution in general is also top notch. And the WiFi antennas are spot on in terms of bandwith and reliability, could not be better. And finally, GameCircle is a fantastic and well implemented feature.

And folks, don't tell me Amazon doesn't read these posts, because I know for a fact they do. The call I received earlier today proves it.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 3:35:39 PM PST
did you send this to kindle-feedback@amazon.com?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 4:08:43 PM PST
And you're prepared to pay how much for all this?

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 4:09:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 4:09:51 PM PST
I'm curious about the comparison to the HP Touchpad to get things right.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 4:11:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 4:22:23 PM PST
The HP Touchpad is inferior in every way to the Kindle Fire HD except where I noted. The screen resolution of the TouchPad is terrible, for one thing, and the battery loses charge overnight. Good idea bout the feedback e-mail, I just sent that. And most of the stuff I listed can be fixed with good quality control and software updates so NO higher cost is needed. But I will spend up to $400 if necessary.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 4:47:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 4:48:30 PM PST
L. Simonsen says:
i second the suggestion to allow Play Store apps. There are 2 that I have used forever on my computer & phone, & without which I am lost: Roboform & Dropbox. I thought about getting Kindle approved replacements, but then they wouldn´t be synced. Does anyone else have this problem, & what did you do about it?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Kindle DX devices being bricked after software update. 3 49 seconds ago
Potentially Perky People - Part Deux 7803 1 minute ago
FREE Books and Chat - July 2016 649 1 minute ago
Kindle just stop working 2 1 minute ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 4119 4 minutes ago
Mr.Spock son of Serek for President 22 28 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 4823 36 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 9765 44 minutes ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 2555 54 minutes ago
Why is it so hard to log out of Amazon? 207 55 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions