Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire - International Use

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 154 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 2, 2011 12:24:14 AM PDT
Kelvin Koh says:
Can the Kindle Fire be used outside of the US?

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 12:35:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2011 12:35:38 AM PDT
A. says:
The current Kindle Fire tablet is a WiFi-only device, so it can be used without connectivity anywhere, and with connectivity anywhere that you get access to a WiFi hotspot. It is currently only being sold in the US, with no word yet on when it may be offered in other countries, but you definitely can buy one in the US and take it anywhere you want in the world.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 1:02:01 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
I think the problem with international sale of Fire is that books are the only digital content Amazon sells internationally at the moment. Without movies and music they probably don't see Fire having enough international appeal. Then again, I can't buy almost anything from iTunes shop in Croatia, but my Apple-loving friends still greeted iPad as the second coming.

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 1:19:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2011 1:22:25 AM PDT
Kun-lung Wen says:
Does Kindle Fire support international characters displaying and inputing? Especially, my most concert is Traditional Chinese.

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 1:24:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2011 1:24:33 AM PDT
A. says:
On September 19, Amazon did a test that enabled access to the Amazon Android AppStore (for less than a day) in a bunch of countries: Canada, the UK, Ireland, the Netherlands, Finland, Spain, Austria, Estonia, Romania, Poland, Australia, New Zealand, India, Russia, South Africa, Venezuela, and Mexico were confirmed. This test could be a hint of future plans to sell the Fire internationally... the movies/music sales are a 'nice to have' for it, but the app store is pretty much a 'must have'.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 1:25:09 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Aaaah! Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 1:27:36 AM PDT
A. says:
I don't think anyone knows yet about Kindle Fire support for languages like Chinese. All the posts I've found about that have no answers yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 2:04:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2011 3:14:26 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
I would expect Kindle Reader app on Fire to support it for display (because K3 does), but beyond that, who knows.

Perhaps someone with existing Kindle app on Android would be good enough to check (preparing their own short CJK text)?

Edit: Book
http://www.kinojaca.org/bonzi/files/misc/home.mobi
contains Google translation of "I am going home" into traditional Chinese (let's see how it looks here: 我要回家).
It displays correctly on Kindle Previewer and K4PC, but *not* on K2 (I don't have K3). My Huawei Android tablet broke, so I cannot try it on it. Would somebody with Kindle for Android please try it and report results?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 2:18:42 AM PDT
A. says:
Here are a bunch of Unicode test files that could be used to see which languages' characters can be displayed: http://freekindlebooks.org/Unicode/unicode.html

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 2:59:32 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Ah, just when I made one of my own! :o)

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 3:09:20 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Heh, my "official Kindle Previewer" crashed while displaying the most recent file, with far too many boxed question marks.

Posted on Oct 4, 2011 7:14:58 AM PDT
Billy Bob says:
I enjoy the fact that I can use my kindle internationally to receive books etc I also enjoy the fact that I can connect using
wispernet to connect to the internet where ever I am, I am an international employee and I don't want to have to hook into a wireless network or have issues internationally. If I have to attach to a wireless network or have content blocked based on where I am and not who I am this is a showstopper. You had it right with the original kindle why the change
AS far as I can tell your going to block content and force the use of a wifi network. This is not a good move wifi networks are not available in most places and often charge

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 7:23:29 AM PDT
the Kindle fire is NOT an e-reader. It's a tablet. Completely different thing. The e-readers will still have international book accessibility.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 7:35:18 AM PDT
M. McCoy says:
Interesting. I can understand the International licensing/legal issues regarding music/movies.

Why would International users not have access to apps?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011 11:03:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2011 2:38:04 PM PDT
Snowbird says:
I sent an email to Amazon about USING the Kindle Fire outside the US. Not good!!! Here is the question and their answer:

QUESTION: I am planning to order the new Kindle Fire but have 1 question. I do a lot of travelling outside the US. Will the new WEB browser (Amazon Silk) be available to me when I travel to Canada? Same question for when I travel to the UK?
Thanks

AMAZON ANSWER:
Currently, the Kindle Touch and Kindle Fire are available for shipment only to U.S. addresses.
There isn't any way to use the Kindle Fire while you travel to Canada and U.K.
We value our international customers and hope to make Kindle, Kindle Touch and Kindle Fire and related content available in more locations in the future.
We're continually fine-tuning our presentation to provide our customers with the greatest value, selection, and information for their online purchasing decisions.
I'll make sure your feedback is passed on to the Kindle development team.
Thanks for your interest in Kindle.

OK - I didn't like their answer so I asked for a confirmation. Here is my follow-up question and Amazon's new stand on the issue. By the way, I am very impressed with the response time that Amazon has for our questions.

FOLLOW UP QUESTION:
I just want to ensure you understood my question properly because, based on your reply, this seriously restricts the usefulness of the Kindle Fire for me. I do live in the US and would order the Kindle Fire from home. Are you saying that when I take the Kindle Fire with me while I travel outside the US, I wouldn't be able to use the WEB on my tablet?

NEW AND IMPROVED ANSWER FROM AMAZON:
I've reviewed our previous correspondence with you, and I'm very sorry about the misunderstanding.
You will be able to use web on Kindle Fire outside U.S. without any problem. Amazon Silk is arevolutionary, cloud-accelerated browser that uses a "split browser" architecture to leverage the computing speed and power of the Amazon Web Services cloud.
To learn more, please visit the Kindle Fire product detail page:
Kindle Fire (1st Generation)
Thanks for your interest in Kindle.

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 10:41:59 AM PDT
Chris says:
Thanks for the post Jean, good to know that it will work outside the U.S. Does this mean you can access the cloud/Silk?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2011 12:24:22 PM PDT
Snowbird says:
I believe that's what they're saying. However, video streaming will not be supported and we still don't know if the APP store will be accessible to non-US addresses

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 12:47:48 PM PDT
M. McCoy says:
Or whether the apps are available for purchase to 'valid' U.S. customers (i.e. Fire shipped to/registered to U.S. address) when outside the U.S.

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 7:03:17 PM PDT
I emailed Amazon about some of these questions and got this reply:

Hello,

I see that you've written to us about seven issues. I'll do my best to provide a thorough answer to each of your inquiries in this message.

1. Using Kindle Fire in Europe:

Currently Kindle Fire can be shipped only to US customers but after purchasing it in US you can use it in Europe.

2. Regarding downloading apps:

Yes, you can use all the apps you've downloaded while in Us but you cannot download apps while you are in Europe.

3. Accessing books:

Yes, you can access all the books.

4. Using web browser and email interface:

Yes, you can use the web browser and email interface as long as your device is connected to wifi.

5. Purchasing books:

Yes, you can purchase and download books successfully while you are in Europe.

6. Using movies or TV features.

I'm sorry you cannot download movies or use TV features while you are in outside US.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2011 7:48:53 PM PDT
Snowbird says:
Thank you Rob for this - this is the most comprehensive set of questions and Amazon answers about using the Kindle Fire outside the US. Now we know!!

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 1:00:39 AM PDT
Qindle says:
Thanks Jean and Rob!

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 1:15:09 AM PDT
hI ,I live in the Uk,if i were to purchase one in the US and sent over by a freind, would the warranty be valid

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 2:23:03 PM PDT
Anlashok says:
Thanks a lot Rob. This is precisely the answers I've been (and many people like me I'd say) looking for since they announced the release.

Thanks for sharing that reply.

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 11:18:12 AM PDT
Shirley says:
If I purchase my kindle fire and delivered to a US Address, when I bring it into Canada, Can I watch music videos on the web while in Canada. All I want to do is browse the web and watch a few music videos, possibly on youtube in Canada nothing more. I have a kindle reader and I spend 5 months of the year in the US so obtaining apps can be done while I am back in the US.

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 11:22:05 AM PDT
If the music video is available to Canadians on YouTube or other similar site, you will be able to see it on the Fire.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  78
Total posts:  154
Initial post:  Oct 2, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 28, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 27 customers

Search Customer Discussions