Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Too Many Books in My Kindle Library

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 10, 2012 3:16:21 PM PDT
Caliopia says:
First, let me acknowledge that I have a slight hoarding problem with e-books; I have over 9,000 in my Amazon Kindle Library. I have three Kindles on my account, a Kindle 2 and two Kindle Keyboards. The highest number of books physically on one of the Kindles rarely exceeds 100. I recently contacted Kindle CS because all of my Kindles would restart after accessing Whispernet. Sometimes it would take minutes after I turned it on, other times it would be almost immediately. My kindles also retart whenever I add content. I was assured by Chris, the CSR I spoke with that there was no limit on the number of books I could have in my Kindle Library but he was puzzled by the problem. He said he would report the issue to the engineers because with multiple Kindles with the same problem it wasn't an issue with a faulty Kindle. He promised that I would hear back in a few days. A couple of weeks have passed and I heard nothing, just accepting that whenever I turned on Whispernet I should just wait for the restart to happen before I did anything. Today I received the following e-mail from Kindle CS:
I wanted to send you a quick e-mail to let you know that we're still researching the issue with your device restarting. Because of the amount of content you have, the device is restarting itself when the wireless is turned on and synchronizing to your account.

We have replicated the issue on site and are still researching to try to find the best resolution. It usually takes 2-3 business days for this sort of research, but in this case it's taking a little longer. I'm very sorry about this delay.

I'll be in touch shortly with an answer for you. Thanks for your patience.

Best regards,

Malinda W.
Amazon.com

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 3:18:35 PM PDT
No doubt some programmer told himself "nobody will ever have this many books" when he set the maximum size of the archive table. Customer Service didn't know because they never documented the limit, knowing nobody would ever reach it. Congratulations!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 3:19:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 10, 2012 3:20:45 PM PDT
yeah, ive been having this problem since aug last year, at least your cs said it was a problem, i keep getting told its a faulty kindle, im on my 4th replacement, wish amazon would fix this, its made my kindle a fancy paper weight since i cant use it due to the freezing and restarting
: (

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 3:20:52 PM PDT
Caliopia says:
Oddly (and fortunately) this is not a problem with my Kindle Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 3:21:33 PM PDT
~nospin says:
Doesn't it work if you just keep wireless off?
I believe that is what others were told.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 3:22:33 PM PDT
Caliopia says:
@squiggly - Hopefully they will come up with a fix for everyone. I CAN'T be the only one with this many books. I think they realized it was a problem because I had more than one Kindle impacted by this.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 3:22:39 PM PDT
no

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 3:23:36 PM PDT
Caliopia says:
@Nospin,
It does work when I keep the wireless/WiFi off but when I do turn it on to add content I have to deal with the restart thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 3:23:47 PM PDT
there are a few in my home thread RAOK with the same trouble, as well my archives dont work like they should, if i need a book sent to a device i have to contact amazon to have them send the book, this is past annoying

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 3:26:26 PM PDT
Caliopia says:
@squiggly,
I agree, it is annoying. I am having issues with archives, too. I cannot access many of my books through archives. I never thought to call Amazon to have them send them to me. I was searching for a book i KNOW I bought and it wouldn't appear when I did the search.

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 3:27:01 PM PDT
Miss M says:
S. Brown,

There have been more and more reporting this lately, usually those with 10,000+ libraries - hopefully they'll chime in here...
Disappointing to hear CS doesn't seem to be approaching this as a macro-level problem. Then again, some of their responses are so canned you have no idea what exactly it is they are doing behind the scenes.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 3:30:15 PM PDT
my archive trouble started when i tried to send a book i was gifted to a device, amazon has been less than helpful, i even had a kindle supervisor tell me it was my fault because i had so many books, i was shocked to hear this and replied then amazon better change the website product page, that was met with silence

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 3:31:37 PM PDT
~nospin says:
I believe Ann deVries wrote to the executive level at Amazon. I do not know the name of her contact.

It would seem the OP should answer the email that he has discovered numerous people on the forums complaining of the same thing and that the executive level is aware. Amazon should definitely have a work group on this and make cs aware to forward complaints to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 3:32:52 PM PDT
~nospin says:
That is deplorable squiggly. I hope you spoke to his/her supervisor.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 3:36:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 10, 2012 3:37:30 PM PDT
no, at that point i was so frustrated i just gave up, i have mentioned it to other kindle cs since then but as usual they DON'T get back to me, im tired of explaining the problem over and over it would be easier if they assigned one kindle cs supervisor for the problem or my case but nope its a new one each time
: (

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 3:37:24 PM PDT
Caliopia says:
@squiggly, I actually went through 3 CSRs before I reached a point where someone admitted it sounded like a problem Amazon needed to look into. The others just wanted me to keep doing factory reset. The e-mail I received sounds like Amazaon is finally admitting this is something they need to look into and fix (I can hope). I've had very good CS experience with Kindle CS and very bad experiences too. It all depends on who you speak with.

@ Nospin, I will reply and sugges that this is not an isolated issue. It sounds, in the e-mail, as if they are finally recognizing that it is not an isolated issue. It will no doubt grow as others Kindle Libraries grow in size.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 3:42:10 PM PDT
Fud53 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 3:43:56 PM PDT
actually i have now read more than half the books in my archives, you and your post that is what is pathetic, making snap judgements not based on facts but your imagination

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 3:45:42 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 10, 2012 3:52:57 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 3:48:35 PM PDT
~nospin says:
The problem with the archive is the number of items. The problem will multiply as Amazon keeps pushing Amazon shorts along with the explosion of shorter works.

It is easily conceivable to read 10000 short stories.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 3:51:05 PM PDT
That's what Fud comes for - you feed him by responding. Just click "Ignore this customer" on his posts and he won't bother you anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 3:51:26 PM PDT
Caliopia says:
@squiggly, Wow, I'm impressed. I read a lot but I confess I haven't read half of my Library. I do share my account with my husband and my mother so not all the books are "mine". Still, now that I'm retired I've begun to put a sizable dent in my archives. Gotta love the possibilities. I often have 3 or 4 books going at the same time.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 3:59:26 PM PDT
Miss M says:
S. Brown - you are living my dream. I keep thinking of my rapidly accumulating kindle library as my "retirement portfolio." That's why I'm so interested in seeing amazon fix the archive problem. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 4:00:33 PM PDT
i can read several books a day if they are smaller novels
: )

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 4:02:22 PM PDT
Caliopia says:
In retirement my library will also grow much more slowly (I am still hoping that they fix this issue soon, I'm afraid to keep adding to my library); my book budget has shrunk considerably. Good thing I have a ready supply to keep me reading for a while.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 76 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and $79 Kindle
0 11 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 1127 55 seconds ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Manic Gardens, Roof Possums, Goat Spanx, Flailing Yahoos and So Geese! And Cherie! 1642 1 minute ago
does kindle voyage have text-to-speech? 2 1 minute ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 6637 2 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat (FB&C) Tues/Wed, 25 & 26 November 2014 27 2 minutes ago
Paperwhite - Troublesome page turns 65 2 minutes ago
When will the Kindle Voyage be available in Australia? 3 9 minutes ago
Kindle Voyage - Documented Issues 176 10 minutes ago
Kindle Fire Tips: Getting Started 2 5170 10 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  212
Total posts:  1893
Initial post:  Apr 10, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 61 customers

Search Customer Discussions