Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Need help with playing downloads...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2012 11:57:34 AM PST
Hi there, I have a Kindle Fire HD and I am struggling loads with downloading things.
I am trying to watch a TV Show I have no problem watching on my laptop and when its downloaded I can view all my downloads, only when I hold the download down, or tick the box nothing happens.
I'm ok watching other things (It works when I'm watching youtube or Lovefilm)
I have tried to download Flash and it does the same, and I have read some discussions about Dolphin but the links supplied don't seem to do anything?
Please help me someone!

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 1:03:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 1:03:57 PM PST
I have now managed to download flash player and when I hold the download down it opens, but the video is still not playing. It says 'The latest version of Flash player is required to view videos' and when i open in HTML and click play it says Sorry, this video cannot be played.
can anyone shed any light on this?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:24:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 1:25:51 PM PST
Miss L. Smith - If you are trying to watch video from websites, you will likely need Adobe Flash and a web browser that supports Flash (like Dolphin HD version 8.5.1). The native web browser on the Kindle Fire does not support Flash. You can do the following to get Flash working on your Fire:

To install Flash: (You have to have a Flash compatible browser in order to install Flash. You can't install it under Silk.)

Do the following on the Fire/Fire HD itself:

Swipe down from the top > More > Device > Allow Installation of Applications.

Install ES File Explorer: ES File Explorer

Download and install the Dolphin HD and Flash Player apk files from this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9d8gxh75f0747f1/83fV5m6x2c

Once both files are downloaded to your Fire, open ES File Explorer and look in the "Downloads" folder. You should see both files there. Install Dolphin HD *first* by tapping on the icon. Then Install Flash.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 2:14:16 PM PST
Sadly these instructions haven't worked for me, dolphin says it is installed, but I can't find it on my kindle. Shame on amazon for making this such a mess. If anyone has any other ideas for getting round the flash problem I'd love to know. This was almost the perfect device.....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 2:16:47 PM PST
It has nothing to do with Amazon. Blame Adobe for dropping Flash support for Android devices.

The whole process took 10 minutes for me and everything is working fine. Are you sure you followed each step exactly? (Starting with updating the settings on the Fire to allow installation of applications from unknown sources).

Dolphin HD and Adobe Flash should both show up under the apps tab once they are installed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 2:23:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 2:24:11 PM PST
Hi Laura, thanks for your reply, it was really helpful, the only probem I have is that I am in the UK so it won't let me download ES File Explorer.
I have found a website where it seems to overcome this and followed their step by step guide... http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum/thread-6662-post-50714.html
but I can only get as far as Step 3 and it doesn't appear. I download it again and it still doesn't - but then it shows in my download box I mentioned in my previous post yet I can't do anything with it.
I really hope you can help as everything else was really easy to follow so thank you :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 2:26:34 PM PST
You can also get ES File Explorer from here:

http://www.1mobile.com/es-file-explorer--file-manager-70957.html

You might also see if it's in the Amazon Appstore in the UK (I can't access that here in the US).

Post back if you get stuck.

Laura

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 2:55:18 PM PST
I've tried that link and it isn't working... Looked at the AppStore too and can't see it... Can only see the US one :(
Really hope I can get it....

By the way, thanks for your help with this - really appreciate it :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 3:18:33 PM PST
Hmmm...well, I'll tell you what. I will add the APK file for ES File Explorer to the Dropbox URL. Just download and install that one first.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 3:21:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 3:21:57 PM PST
Okay - I updated the dropbox account. See if you can download and install ES File Explorer from this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9d8gxh75f0747f1/83fV5m6x2c

If you click on the file name, Dropbox will open and new page and you will see a download button.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 3:21:33 PM PST
I did try again, and got dolphin onboard, and flash , so thank you. I take your point about adobe also, but amazon could have made 'silk' compatible couldn't it? I can watch bbc player, but none of the others, which given the way this device is advertised (frequently right now) it's a bit frustrating. And that I couldn't watch youtube till I read your post is a bit miserable. thanks again, your post was a real help. I still can't do what I wanted, but I'm further ahead than I was. C x

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 3:23:24 PM PST
No, actually. Amazon cannot enable flash in their browser once Adobe discontinued it. The Dolphin HD browser that works with Flash is an older version. No new browser can support Flash now that Adobe has discontinued support. I don't know how to state that any plainer.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 3:24:35 PM PST
cari4cariad - What other websites are you having issues with? I don't get to use BBC iplayer since I'm not in the UK, but I'd be happy to test out ones that I can access.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 2:35:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 2:36:03 PM PST
Omg Laura you are a LEGEND!!!! Thank you sooooo much! I would have had no idea how to do this. Thank you
:)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 2:46:45 PM PST
Miss L. Smith - Did you get everything working? I hope so :)

I was not the one who figured out how to do this. It was the techie people on the XDA Developers Forum, and another Kindle Forum Pro, Pineapple, put together our original set of Flash instructions. I just want people to be happy with their Kindle Fires. I love mine :)

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 2:52:58 PM PST
I did so thanks! I didn't think anyone would reply or know and you really helped me! I've only had it week and so far think its fab. Wasn't sure I would like it at first but now I know about this forum it'll deffo help me with things! Need to change my name on here next!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 2:57:23 PM PST
Well, post back if you run into any more issues :) I'm glad you are able to watch your videos now :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Bluetooth mouse for Kindle Fire HD? 108 1 minute ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The Answers Are Blowing In The Wind 1582 6 minutes ago
How to make a web site a favorite 28 6 minutes ago
Potentially Perky People - Part Deux 7810 11 minutes ago
Secret new product release! 36 12 minutes ago
FREE Books and Chat - July 2016 652 41 minutes ago
Is it possible to resize images along with text on kindle? 3 49 minutes ago
Big thanks to Kindle for ruining my ebook experience 1310 1 hour ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 4127 1 hour ago
Kindle / Audible Recommendations and Deals (KARD) 3231 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions