Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle in Ireland

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 14, 2012 7:20:55 AM PDT
Caroline says:
I recently bought the kindle fire online in the USA, it was a gift for my sister in Ireland. I was told it would work world wide but that does not seem to be the case. When she tries to use it it says geographical problems, can I return it to amazon.ie ? I also own a kindle fire and I'm going home to Ireland is this the end of my kindle fire if I leave America??

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 7:27:52 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
right now the Kindle Fire is restricted to US residence only, in a few weeks that will change to the UK, Spain, Italy, Germany, France and the US

the Kindle Fire does indeed work world wide, but you can't get some necessary content world wide - a lot of people have successfully sideloaded kindle apps from third party sources (getjar is one)

and look in this thread for some useful help: http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_search_res_ti?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx1NW3J8LFJJ8NJ#Mx113744X10CNKP

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 10:31:57 PM PST
S. Sheehan says:
The kindle definitely works in Ireland. We bought ours on the States last year and it works throughout Europe as we've used it in.many locations

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 10:53:15 PM PST
S. Sheehan - Regular e-ink Kindles do. She's talking about the Fire. You can't get all of the content for it worldwide.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 10:54:14 PM PST
A Kindle may work in Ireland, but 90% of the Kindle Fire's functionality will not. You would only be able to purchase books. You would not be able to purchase Apps (even free ones), Music or Video from Amazon, and these are the main components (and the "fun" part) of the Kindle Fire. This is why the Kindle Fire has not yet been offered for sale in Ireland.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 11:02:21 PM PST
S. Sheehan says:
Sorry I should have said Kindle Fire

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 1:22:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 1:22:54 PM PST
A. Winston says:
Any ideas when it will be supported in Ireland? I've received one as a gift and to be honest, I find it pretty crappy that Amazon don't flag this fairly large- a cool present now lacks a big piece of its functionality. If Apple and Google can figure out how to sel apps in Ireland then Amazon, (which happily makes profits off Ireland) can do it without making excuses

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 2:17:45 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Amazon is not making excuses. They are setting up more Kindle stores as they go along. The bigger markets are getting them first which makes sense. Apple and Google have been selling apps and devices a lot longer than Amazon so yes they have more of a world wide presence.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 11:49:24 PM PST
So does this model work in Ireland?

Kindle Keyboard 3G, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 3G Works Globally, 6" E Ink Display
Amazon

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 11:53:50 PM PST
If I bought a Kindle Fire now would it work properly when Kindle eventually allow Ireland full access, or would we have to upgrade to a newer model?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 12:58:32 AM PST
Yes, that one works without any issues.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:35:05 AM PST
That's not certain. The Fire 1's still don't work on Amazon UK even though they have their own store now.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.5
23 4 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Kindle Unlimited is now available! 479 2 minutes ago
send-to-kindle email address missing on some devices, why? 9 4 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat - Friday, Sept. 19, 2014 83 6 minutes ago
FB&C - Sat. Sept 20 & Sun. Sept 21, 2014, FREE Books and Chat 42 6 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 6173 14 minutes ago
Student Upgrading From Kindle 2 3 22 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 3384 22 minutes ago
All Kindle e reader 0 26 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Oct 14, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions