sharing books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 18, 2012 4:54:27 AM PST
ccyogi says:
can you share books between kindles?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 5:13:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 6:01:42 AM PST
It depends. Some books allow lending. If your book is lending enabled, then you may loan the book once for 14 days only.

What many people do, is have joint accounts. For example, on my account, I have Kindles registered from my sisters, my sons, etc. You can have an unlimited number of devices registered to your account and all registered devices can read all books (remember the account owns the books, not the devices). Of course, you then have to sort out who pays for purchases, etc. Remember, once a book is purchased, you cannot "move" it to another account

EDIT - I forgot to add, some people purchase the basic Kindle just so they can share their books. They loan out the Kindle just like you would loan a paper book

Here's a link to loaning books - http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_k5land_lending?nodeId=200549320

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 5:58:35 AM PST
Slightly OT, but we had a visitor to our office last Friday, who saw my Kindle on top of my bag, which occasioned a discussion. He (and evidently his non-Kindling group of friends) were under the impression that Prime has something to do with the book-lending between account-holders. I tried to explain the owner-to-owner lending, vs. Prime's KOLL, and that they're totally unrelated, but he looked unconvinced.

There's a lot of misinformation out there, confusiing people.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 7:53:52 AM PST
quilt lover says:
I can see how he thought that, considering the name "Kindle Owners Lending Library". Some people don't bother to read the details.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 8:11:21 AM PST
The Blade says:
>>>>"There's a lot of misinformation out there, confusing people."<<<<

The inability of readers to read and comprehend never ceases to amaze me. The correct information is readily available. All people, supposedly readers, have to do is read it. <smh>

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 2:38:08 PM PST
I think my visitor's misinformation came from listening to misinformed friends, none of whom actually READ anything, just told others, "I heard that..."

"And they told 2 friends, and so on..."

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 3:27:00 PM PST
I spend a lot of time here, and I read lots of articles (some more accurate than others) about the state of ebookdom, here and in Europe, but I couldn't tell you everything about Amazon's, Kobo's, or B&N's TOS, nor about relevant sales tax, use tax, or VAT as applied to ebooks, and certainly not about the exact laws (and vendor methods of applying the laws) pertaining to geo restrictions (particularly for accounts shared by people from different countries).

I also don't know all the rules about the various ways of borrowing and lending ebooks -- KOLL, libraries (using Overdrive, 3M, or Blio, with varying availability per publisher and system), lending sites matching lenders and borrowers, etc.

Personally, I don't think all this information is either readily available or easy to understand ;)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Nov 18, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions