Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Any interest in kid-friendly Kindle?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 130 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 7, 2011 3:23:50 PM PDT
P.A. Ges says:
I am looking into purchasing e-readers for my middle school/jr. high children for Christmas. I have a Kindle myself and love it. I would love for Amazon to offer kid-friendly Kindles that allow parents to manage what is downloaded from our shared Amazon account onto the kids' Kindles. Anybody else interested in Amazon offering a Kindle with some type of parental-control features?

And yes, I am aware of the fact that you can disable a Kindle from downloading materials by de-registering it and then re-registering when you want to download a book.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2011 3:27:50 PM PDT
Do your kids have cell phones? Who controls the use of those?

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 3:31:34 PM PDT
A. Sisk says:
I'm not being snarky...really, so please don't read any tone into the things I say:
1. There are gads of threads on this very subject, please use the search function to find them.
2. My 10 year old and my 14 year old each have one -- with rules. If they break the rules, they lose the kindle. I expect this will help teach them to be trustworthy, instead of simply avoiding the problem.

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 3:35:03 PM PDT
MG Potgieter says:
may I ask what rules are there for reading books?

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 3:43:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2011 3:46:10 PM PDT
Laura says:
I doubt it is an issue of rules for reading books but rules for downloading books. My 10 year old has her own Kindle but does not make purchases. That is our rule.

To the original poster, I agree, ideally, I would like to be able to have a folder of her books and a folder of my books with possibly a folder of "our" books and her kindle only has permission for the first and third folder and mine has permission for all 3. There is another of our rules, she is not allowed to download anything out of the archives.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2011 3:50:05 PM PDT
In addition to the registering protection that you're already aware of, the owner of the Amazon account gets an e-mail when a book is purchased. If you set it up right, you would know immediately when a book is purchased for the Kindle. It's not 100% protection, but it's better than nothing. Of course, if you only check your email once a month, this won't do you much good. ;-)

And I second what A. Sisk said. Set up rules and consequences.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2011 3:55:23 PM PDT
It's not a rule for reading books... it's a rule for using the Kindle.

There are, however, some general rules that kids should use for reading books. 1. Start at page one. 2. Hold the book with the letters facing upright. 3. Read from the top left corner and proceed to the right. 4. Don't read while taking a shower. 5. I before E, except after C - or when spelling the word "weird".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2011 4:00:59 PM PDT
MG Potgieter says:
That, my friend, is a genius answer.

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 4:14:49 PM PDT
BareThoughts says:
I really think the password option would have been better if instead of some completely locking the Kindle, it simply locked it from changes (downloading from the archives, purchasing books from the Kindle and changes to the collecions). It would open the Kndle up tore markets (mainly institutions such as schools and libraries)... and make those calling for parental controls happy.

Basically, allow the content on the indle when it was password protected too only be managed via the Manage My Kindle account (this would however require the wireless to be able to be turned on even when password protected (and of course one should be able to completely turn off protection as we can with the current password protection system)... it would also e helpful to have a better content management system for when one has multiple Kindles (track liscence usuage across the Kindles easily)

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 4:23:58 PM PDT
Bitchie says:
I do agree, I would much rather be able to password certain collections on my Kindle than locking up the whole thing. I don't even bother with the password thing, but if I could lock out certain collections, I totally would.

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 4:38:10 PM PDT
P.A. Ges says:
The password to certain collections idea is an interesting one and if, it work may address my concern. My main concern was sharing my Kindle books with my kids, so the phrase "parental controls" might not have been the best choice of words, since it drums up images of over-the-shoulder parenting.

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 4:39:51 PM PDT
zanara says:
I am purchasing a kindle for my granddaughter for Christmas. I feel that the onus for purchasing suitable books for her is on her mother and myself. Like A.Sisk says there are rules. Break the rules and lose the kindle. The same rules now apply to use of the internet on the computer. I find that responsibility works well in my family.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2011 6:07:43 PM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
VINCI 7-Inch Touchscreen Mobile Learning Tablet

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2011 7:02:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2011 7:34:59 PM PDT
BareThoughts says:
Ack - that thing is scary...

best bet for people (but cannot share their Kindle books) or institution that wants some control in the easist way possible... buy a Sony without wi-fi or 3G.

I hate recommendng aything that runs Adobe ePub, but really it is the best choice for ease (and even then is not much "ease but at least better than Kianythingwith wi-fi or 3g) of managing content only from a computer (thus not allowing downloads/changes from the eReader).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2011 7:29:18 PM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
And expensive.

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 11:55:45 AM PDT
Are you afraid the little darlings will download, and read, 'The Kama Sutra Of Vatsyayana', or some Masters & Johnson, or are you afraid they will max out your credit card by buying lots of ebooks? I suppose a 'Kid Friendly' Kindle would be nice for such as you, and Amazon could make a bundle with one. I may not be the top of Amazion's 'to do' list, but I can see them coming out with such an item within a year, or two.

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 1:48:44 PM PDT
Tami S says:
I agree with A Sisk and zanara - when my kids first got their kindles they were 10 and 14 (now 11 and 15) and we have had no problems with rules for kindle use - no downloading without permission, period, or lose the kindle. Works for us :)

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 2:16:47 PM PDT
Mary Ellen says:
I don't have kids but I do teach middle school. I've had several students in the past year who had Kindles or Kindle apps. In all cases the kids had *very* strict rules about book purchases. If they bought something not approved, they lost the device. At the eighth grade level, these rules worked. Of course, the kids were the ones who loved to read.
A really nice affect of the Kindle is that kids who have them are discovering the classics because they are free. I was thrilled when a young lady told me that she had finished "Little Women" and was downloading all of the free Louisa May Alcott books she could find. She told me she wouldn't have read "Little Women" if it hadn't been a free book on her Kindle!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2011 4:32:31 PM PDT
P.A. Ges says:
Mary Ellen,
Thanks for your encouraging words.

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 4:34:56 PM PDT
P.A. Ges says:
Hi all,
Really I wasn't worried about what my kids could download. (That topic seems to keep coming up). I simply want to share an Amazon Kindle account without my kids having access to all my Kindle books.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2011 4:39:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2011 4:42:10 PM PDT
flipoid says:
S. Siepel, the way the Archives are set up on Amazon accounts right now, all the books are lumped together; there's no way to separate who bought which books (edit: or to separate which Kindles can "see" which books in the Archive).

What about setting up a second Amazon account for your kids' Kindle(s)? I think after the initial set-up, you don't have to have a credit card on the account--you could fund it with gift cards.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2011 4:41:19 PM PDT
Kessa says:
Simply tell your kids that they are not allowed to..., if they disobey, they lose their Kindle(s).

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 8:20:16 PM PDT
We have 11 Kindles on our family account and will be getting the grandkids one for their birthdays this year. 7, 8 and 17 years old. All girls. We have discussed a lot of options on what to do to keep them from downloading some things that I read that wouldnt be suitable for them. I dont think there would be a problem with the younger ones because they wouldnt be interested anyway. The teen, well, she is old enough that she thinks she knows more than what is in those books. I just worry about them buying books that they shouldnt. But Kindle Support is very understanding and we can cancel the books if bought by mistake.
If you are going to spend the money to buy a child/teen a Kindle, then you have to have faith that they will be able to take care of it and so old enough to know the rules.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2011 8:28:27 PM PDT
Simple option - buy the books you don't want them to see from some source other than Amazon. They will not appear in the Archive.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2011 8:39:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2011 8:42:43 PM PDT
hey neighbor - don't you think you should change rule 5?

well i'm off to weigh the anchor!!!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  130
Initial post:  Aug 7, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions