Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Can't play downloaded movies without wifi connection.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 68 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 28, 2012 8:02:59 AM PDT
About a month ago Kindle Fire started requiring a wifi connection to play movies I have already downloaded, didn't used to be this way. Amazon said they were aware of issue and working on it but its been a month. They keep saying the'll follow up in a few days but never do. Anyone else having this problem? I've tried deleting the movie and reloading but didn't help.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 8:13:49 AM PDT
J. Lee, are you talking about a movie that you purchased?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 8:20:04 AM PDT
Yes, I purched them on Amazon and downloaded directly to the Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 8:46:53 AM PDT
If they are purchased titles and you have downloaded them, you should be able to view them.

Another question....due to the small memory of the Kindle Fire, I have never kept multiple movies, apps or MP3 albums on the Fire. I download them as I use them, and generally one at a time. I have found that if I download a bunch of movies onto the device, there will not be enough memory to play them. They will be in your Cloud, but you will need to connect to wi-fi to download a new title. The most I have ever had on the device at one time is 2. If you look at the Netflix app, it takes up huge memory in the app section.

Amazon did us no favours with the first update that split the memory, IMO.

Does that make sense to you?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 9:07:40 AM PDT
Yes it makes sense. I'll try deleteing most of them and try to play again. For the first several months I had the Kindle I was able to play the movies just fine offline(most of them are just half hour cartoons like Sponge Bob for my son). The memory useage says I'm at 4.2MB full. But I don't think this is the problem. When I view the movies in the library they each have the little download arrow on them. And after I delete one and redownload it from the cloud it still has that little download arrow on it. If I connect to internet it plays just fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 9:09:20 AM PDT
L. Lee, that little arrow is the download button. You have to download each one individually.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 9:23:33 AM PDT
Yes. While connected to internet I click it, download, then install, then play. But when I dissconnect fron the net the little download arrow remains. Even after I tried to daownload it again. Maybe I just need to clear it and reset back to factory defaults for the whole Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 9:24:49 AM PDT
I am not sure. Have you cleared your cache and history lately? That could help.

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 6:47:09 AM PDT
cinnmom says:
I have the same problem. The kindle seems to check for a wifi connection when you begin to play a downloaded movie, and won't play the movie if there is no connection. My friend has the same problem; says she starts the movie before leaving home and keeps it playing, so her kids can watch in the car, as the only way around this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 7:20:55 AM PDT
I was able to get mine working again, but it's a pain in the ***. I reset the kindle back to factory settings. So you basically have to redo everything including reregeristing it. But now the newly downloaded videos seem to be playing fine, without the internet connction for several weeks now.

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 9:12:40 PM PDT
M. Kroening says:
I have the same issue as well. Would love a solution. Frustrating to have to remember to open the first few seconds of each movies before going o. a trip....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2012 6:50:24 AM PDT
I was able to resovle this, unfourtunately it required resetting my kindle. I deregistered it, then reset it back to factory settings. You will loose everything you had on it though. So you will need to redo all your settings just like you got it out of the box and then redownload all your books, movies, apps, ect. Since I did this it has worked fine, playing the original videos and some new ones we've added since then. hope this helps.

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 2:25:08 PM PDT
MHO says:
I have the same problem, I downloaded 3 tv episodes. When I went to watch them it asked me to connect to the wifi. I did this and the content reappeared on my device. I powered off the kindle and restarted and they were still there. I have done this several times to check and each time were there. I just watched two episodes on a flight, powered it back on and I get the wifi message again. It's not good enough, you want to be able to reliably access your content, the content you have paid for! I will try the restore to factory settings.

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 5:21:41 AM PDT
I downloaded several movies for a long plane ride and they only worked when I got to hotel with wick. So do so disappointing. I don't want to reset to factory specs so will try cutting memory used.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 8:43:51 AM PDT
This is what I'm trying to figure out. I want my sister and cousin to watch this movie on the go but will it work without wifi?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 9:05:49 AM PDT
Not sure if the previous poster was able to fix it by cutting back memory. I tried it but that didn't help me. You could try emailing Amazon's help tech's. Back when this happened they said they were aware of the issue and were working on it. Not sure if thats changed though. I've had a few other friends experience this and it worked fine after resetting like in my previous post. Please post if you figure out another way to correct this.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 9:16:39 AM PDT
Oliver says:
I had the same problem. I downloaded my shows then went back and opened each one of the shows for just a few seconds. That worked fine for me and didn't require a wifi connection later. I don't know whether it would solve your issue but it worked for me.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 9:30:21 AM PDT
Had the same problem. Reset to factory defaults and now it works. Other than remembering passwords, the reset was relatively painless.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 2:16:38 PM PDT
I am having this problem too. I don't want to reset, hopefully this will be resolved soon.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 5:14:32 AM PST
Same here...where is that Amazon poster now?

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 1:25:23 PM PST
N. Katz says:
I'm having the same problem my tv shows are downloaded to my kindle fire and when I try to play they load a little bit but then they say that they can't be played at this time my iPhone does better than my kindle Does what's the deal

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 3:54:38 PM PST
Totally agree that I am really disappointed about the same problem you all are having. How disappointing to think I have videos and movies downloaded for my grandchildren and then this. Maybe Amazon should correct this problem before putting out a new model. I was considering trying out the new one but not so much now.
Frustrated Grandma

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 12:10:35 PM PST
A. Kudsk says:
I'm very disappointed. We bought the kindle hd for our daughter; she downloaded a movie to watch on the way to grandmas, and now it won't play without a wi-fi connection. I would reset to factory settings, but I don't want to lose everything she has downloaded now until we're back home or where we have wi-fi. Does it matter if the movie was purchased or rented? I believe she chose to rent it. Just wondering if that would make a difference.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 12:00:38 AM PST
Am I the only one still having a problem watching a movie when I'm not connected to a wifi. I bought it and can watch if whenever I'm home. But if u try to turn it on for be son in the car It tells be I have to be connected to a wifi??? Booo am I gojng something wrong?

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 12:06:16 AM PST
I'm new to kindle. I have always dealt with an iPad. So I know his that works..but if I already paid for an app and reset my kindle do I have to Pay for it a second time when I redid load it?? And am I supposed to be able to, or I guess can I, "manage" it online? Or can i only do it from my kindle?Haha so many questions!! I love it tons but why is there no freakin instruction book?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 18 days ago
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 18 days ago
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
This price was set by the publisher 602 24 seconds ago
October 2015 Informal Poll, What are you reading? 61 2 minutes ago
Kindle purchase 3 4 minutes ago
Fire HDX 8.9, Versus Fire HD 10 47 4 minutes ago
The Quirkier, The Better! Bring Your Dogs, Cats, Exploding Chickens, So Geese, Fighting Turkeys, Goats, Fluffy Sheep, Cows, Velvet Monkeys, Big Honking Bats, Fishlettes And Cherie! Tally Ho! 741 6 minutes ago
Gift subscription for Kindle fire HDX lost??? 5 7 minutes ago
Amazon Echo (no invite questions) 5585 8 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 3340 12 minutes ago
Charged for book and kindle unlimited was free 1 19 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  68
Initial post:  Jun 28, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 22, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers

Search Customer Discussions