Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Saving images from gmail on to my kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 22, 2012 8:34:22 AM PST
I assume there is a way to save jpegs from an email on to my kindle, but I cant seem to figure it out. Is there a solution?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:40:16 AM PST
WHICH Kindle? The Fire 1st generation, the Fire 2nd Generation, The Fire HD, 7", the Fire HD 8.9?

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:43:01 AM PST
HD Fire 8.9

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 9:53:29 AM PST
Mary says:
I have an original fire and when I go to gmail.com and open an email I see the photo of the arttachment in the body of the email and I click the photo and it downloads to the fire then I go under downloads and it's there or if you use ES file manager it will be in the download folder. I would think the HD fire would work the same. Mary

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 9:53:40 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 22, 2012 9:53:56 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 11:38:25 AM PST
Huh. The method you described is what I do on my iPad, so I was assuming the procedures would be similar. When I try to click the photo with the kindle I don't get any options.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 1:00:13 PM PST
Mary says:
I don't get any options but at the top of my kindle screen by my name it says downloading after I click the photo then it's in my dowloads when done. When I have the browser open and click the icon at the bottom with the lines I click downloads and its in there. Maybe the HD one does not work that way, would be curious to know. Mary

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 3:49:21 PM PST
I am simply stumped. I don't see anything as you described.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 5:22:52 PM PST
Mary says:
Hopefully someone with a kindle HD will come along and tell you where the downloads go. I have a first generation fire and when I download apps and stuff at the top where it shows the name of my kindle like Mary's kindle 2 I click and it will show what has been downloaded or what is in the process of downloading if its a big download then I can go into downloads to access it or go into my file manager and it's in the downloads folder. The fire HD must do this some how. Mary

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 5:29:03 PM PST
Mary says:
I should have said why dont you download ES file explorer from the app store, it's free then when you click the photo the download should go in there to the downloads folder. There are other file managers if you don't want that one but that was the first one I installed and I like it and it keeps my downloads and stuff organized. Mary

ES File Explorer

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 5:58:53 PM PST
Mary says:
Ok scroll down here to where it says options bar. See the icon with the lines labled menu, do you not see that when you are viewing content library like it describes? On the original fire when I have the silk browser open I see that exact menu at the bottom of the screen and the manual is saying you should see it then when you click the one with lines you should see one that says downloads and that's where the photo is. I really think it should work the same as I am describing as the HD menu looks the same as the original fire. If you don't see that or install ES file explorer and it's not going into the downloads folder there then call CS and find out what's going on. Mary

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_200939330_menus?nodeId=201008200#menus

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 7:35:51 PM PST
Interesting. My screen only shows three of the icons the house (home), arrow (back) and star (favorites). I will try installing the ES file explorer next. Thanks for all your help!!!

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 7:48:14 PM PST
Mary says:
That is strange then because how do you see your downloads like if you download a file from a website? It does say you will see different options depending on the library or application you are using so with the silk browser open I would think you should see the one with the lines to get at downloads just like the original fire. Since I don't have an HD maybe I am telling you all wrong where it should be but it looks like downloads should go to the same spot as the original fire. Post if the file explorer works. Mary

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:10:19 PM PST
No luck. This is maddening.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:13:14 PM PST
Mary says:
Ok just to be clear when you go to gmail.com on the fire and open an email with a photo attached you see the photo in the email right? Mary

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:28:38 PM PST
Yes, the photo is visible. I tried aol and I have the same issue. I just don't have a download option. I just see the house, arrow and star. I know it has to be some simple solution, but I am getting very frustrated. I bought the kindle for my computerless mother so she can get emails/images of her grand kids. If I can't get this this to work, I need to send it back and go the iPad route.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:52:53 PM PST
Mary says:
Ok try different webpages and see what the tool bar at the bottom shows just for the heck of it. Really it must be downloading some where when you tap the photo I bet. On the HD on the home screen does it show the name of the kindle in the upper left like I have mine labled Mary's kindle. On the original fire anything I download shows up there for notification but maybe the HD one is different. Contact CS and explain and I bet they can figure it out why the one with lines does not show up. Mary

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 9:03:12 PM PST
Mary says:
Another thought on the home screen tap something on the top like docs if you have that and see what shows on the bottom tool bar. Since I don't have one of the newer ones I don't know what's on the home screen. But on mine anything I tap on the top of the home screen the Icon with lines shows up. Mary

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 10:04:47 AM PST
Mary says:
Did you ever get this to work? Mary

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 11:55:20 AM PST
Kind of. Part of the issue was user error and ignorance on my part. The kindle is for my 81 year old mother so she can finally have email. I was trying to use the gmail app that came with the kindle because it was very intuitive and easy to use. However, I wrongly assumed the app would be the same as using gmail.com. It is not. When using the app, the download functionality that you described is not there. When I tried gmail.com via my web browser the download capability was there. So, I taught my mom how to access via the browser rather than the app which is unfortunate because the one touch app would be much easier for her. Thanks again for your patience and help.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 5:18:23 PM PST
Mary says:
Oh you didn't mention the app. I assumed you were going to gmail.com like I said. Mary

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 5:22:47 PM PST
Mary says:
Wait where is the gmsil app in the amazon store, don't see one and didn't know there was one. Oh do you mean the built in email app on the fire? That will save attachments or at least on my original fire it does when I use it. I use skit mail from the app store and that Also saved attachments. Mary

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 6:09:58 PM PST
I meant the built in email app. I sure could not find a way to save attachments via the app.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 9:32:12 PM PST
Mary says:
I have the original fire and use the built in app with aol mail and road runner mail and I know I have saved attachments so will try it with gmail and see what happens but if you have the 2nd generation fire it may be different. You might try one of the other free email apps from the app store and it might work better. I know on mine I didn't like the built in email app and found I liked skitmail better because I could configure it better for my needs. Will try this some time tomorrow. Mary

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 11:12:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 11:19:08 PM PST
Joan Long says:
Kenneth,
You need to get SkitM@il. It is a free app. I have the 8.9 inch KF and the email app that comes with it will not let you save a photo. The Skitmail app has a much nicer interface and lets you save your photos to the Photos tab under a folder named SDCard. You can either open the photo or save it. You may wish to open first before deciding to save it as there is no way to organize all these photos saved under this "folder".

After saving you can use the menu at the bottom of the screen in the Photos tab to do a selection of things, one being to send the photo in an email to someone else.

Mary is to be commended for her numerous replies in trying to help you.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  Dec 22, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions