Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle for iOS Update Version 3.5

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 120 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 4, 2012 9:37:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 10:18:35 AM PST
We have a new, free Kindle for iOS software update.

This software update will include:

* X-Ray for Books: X-Ray for Books allows customers to see the "bones of the book" and learn more about notable characters, places, and phrases with descriptions from Shelfari.com and Wikipedia.
* Manga image rendering improvements

You can download and install the latest version for free from the App Store. To learn more, visit http://www.amazon.com/kindleapp.

If you have any questions related to this release, please visit the Kindle Help Forum - http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna/ref=kindle_help_forum_gd

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 11:08:35 AM PST
It's great, thanks! Still awaiting collections for iOS though. :)

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 11:39:25 AM PST
Midnight763 says:
Awesome thanks - now this looks more advanced than our Kindle Fire first generation !!!!

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 1:28:25 PM PST
Hopefully, as Shelfari expands (the book equivalent of Wikipedia), X-Ray and "about book" will have more relevance. The Kindle iOS reading ap has become one of my favorite go-to iPad aps I have. About the collections issue -- maybe look at what iBooks uses -- still not ideal, but does allow grouping.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 5:20:16 PM PST
Our Family says:
I am disappointed the x-ray feature update is not available on the Kindle Fire 1st Gen or my older Kindle Keyboard, but now this feature is available on iOS and Android devices with the app perhaps Amazon is trying to tell me my loyalty is not important. Now trying to decide if I want the iPad mini or Nexus 7 to replace my Kindle Fire 1st Gen. Bad move Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 6:23:29 PM PST
Nice -- thank you!

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 7:08:19 PM PST
Maddy says:
it ruined my kindle. now I can no longer download books. only apps this is horrible. my device is also flight from it :/ It did not do this before

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 7:13:04 PM PST
Huh?

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 8:39:31 PM PST
Dorsie says:
Hey, Amazon got this one right! No nasty surprises, and they added two more font sizes for the presbyopic set. Now the larger font sizes have a smoother increment between sizes. I applaud their wisdom in changing to the plus/minus font size selector for font size, instead of the restrictive row-of-icons selector. It makes the current sixteen choices of font sizes possible.

Thanks to the Kindle for IOS developers for reading and responding to user feedback.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 8:59:26 PM PST
J. Williams says:
Will we get these feature for the Android version soon?

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 9:14:18 PM PST
Love the ner version on my ipad mini. Thanks amazon!

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 9:41:14 AM PST
Ed says:
Yes! Another 'atta boy' for Amazon. Next one will be for addition of collections.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 9:50:03 AM PST
YepIt'sBecky says:
I wouldn't count on collections, their on flagship product the Kindle Fire doesn't have collections. It's been requested since the Kindle Fire 1st gen and though they gave us immersion reading, text to speech, and x-ray for books and videos they have not seen fit to grace us with collections.

Eventhough I like immersion reading, text to speech and I'm still getting use to x-ray I'd have been over the moon with collections and they could have added these features in the next iteration. Oh well, such is life.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 12:45:31 PM PST
D. S. Arnold says:
What does iOS mean and how do I update my Kindle/iPhone?

Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 12:58:11 PM PST
R. D. Clark says:
iOS is the operating system used on the iPhone and other iThings. Updates come through the App Store, right there on your iPhone, just like any other app update.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 1:15:04 PM PST
D. S. Arnold says:
Thanks R.D.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 2:50:56 PM PST
Di B says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 8:54:21 PM PST
Larry Box says:
When I updated my Kindle IOS today, a MOBI file that I had in the Kindle app disappeared. It was a book not purchased from Amazon and I can't get it to transfer back to the Kindle app. Will the new Kindle app not allow that any longer?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 10:34:21 PM PST
R. D. Clark says:
I have several mobi books purchased from Baen, and they all still show up in my iPad app. From where are you trying to copy the book back to your app? From your MYK Library? From your computer using iTunes?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 3:51:44 AM PST
Larry Box says:
I'm using iTunes. I have the file in a folder on my computer and while in the app section of iTunes adding them in the file sharing are by selecting Kindle and then add file.

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 3:55:42 AM PST
Larry Box says:
And, the interesting thing is that when I go into iTunes, the files are still listed as in the Kindle app. I've removed them, shut down the app and the iPad and then added them again and they still won't show up on the iPad.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 4:36:38 AM PST
R. D. Clark says:
Are you looking at "all items" in the app? Sometimes mobi files show up as documents rather than as books. Other than that, I have no idea.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 5:29:29 AM PST
Sarida says:
How could the Kindle app for iOS ruin your Kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 5:31:33 AM PST
Sarida says:
Okay...that gave me the chuckle of the day, considering that the Amazon Fire is Android.

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 7:43:15 AM PST
Larry Box says:
I'm looking in the "all" area and still not seeing the book. If anyone else is experiencing this and has a solution, I'd appreciate feedback. At this point I'm going to switch readers since I can't use the Kindle for all my books. Does anyone from Amazon monitor this board?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and $79 Kindle
0 11 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Manic Gardens, Roof Possums, Goat Spanx, Flailing Yahoos and So Geese! And Cherie! 1705 1 minute ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 1149 1 minute ago
RAOK # 80 - Acts of Kindness Are In the Pipeline™ 6105 9 minutes ago
epubs 35 25 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 4081 30 minutes ago
Kindle Touch (skipping to next chapter) 19 33 minutes ago
Problems Since the Kindle Fire HD Update 32 35 minutes ago
BAAA© Amazing Kindle Books and Helpful Tips #3 2528 38 minutes ago
Kindle Fire HD Not Playing Netflix or Movies 78 41 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  53
Total posts:  120
Initial post:  Dec 4, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions