Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

How to decide what to read first!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 57 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2012 1:07:28 PM PST
Melisann says:
Its a great problem to have...I love getting free and/or really inexpensive Kindle books but all I seem to do is download them. I never get to the point of reading! My personality is one that I have a hard time deciding things to begin with, but I am starting to feel overwhelmed with my choices.

I'm not complaining in any way, just wondering how you guys do this. Do you just randomly pick a book and start reading it, or do you plan ahead? I started a TBR (to be read) list, but then I get new books and never seem to get to them.

Life is so hard LOL! ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 1:12:55 PM PST
Actually, this has been discussed in a couple of threads in the past. One suggestion, from someone with a large library, was to go to MYK, then choose one book title beginning with each letter of the alphabet.

An "A" book, a "B" book, etc...by title. Of course, if you don't have an "H" book, you skip it. Once they'd read through A-Z, they went back and did it again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 1:14:46 PM PST
Just Peachy says:
I go by what mood I'm in...history? light read? drama? humor? happily-ever-after? Then I browse through my titles till I land on one that suits me.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 1:47:53 PM PST
The Artist says:
I go by mood, too, and the great thing is that if you don't like the book after reading it for a while, you can just dump it and move on. That's what I did last night, after deciding that the book I was reading wasn't worth finishing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 2:20:25 PM PST
Yes, gone are the days of struggling through a book you weren't enjoying, simply because it was all you had to read until Monday. I <3 Kindle!

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 7:29:42 PM PST
I go by pages in my Unread file. For instance, I might choose a book from page 60 then the next from page 50 and the next from page 40. Or one from page 1, then page 11, page 21. Or page 55, then page 45, etc.

:-)

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 8:01:08 PM PST
I have a "read soon" collection that's got about 50 books in it (ones that as I've downloaded them I've thought I'd like to read that one soon), and a "currently reading" collection that's strictly 10 books only. Those 10 are usually across a range of genres, and I read whichever one I'm feeling like at a given moment. When I finish one from there, it gets dropped out of that collection and replaced by another from the same genre, mostly from the "read soon" collection (though not always, if something else tickles my fancy at the time LOL). Keeping it strictly to 10 books forces me to narrow down my immediate choices sufficiently to feel manageable, and I've found that's what keeps me finding the breadth of choice liberating rather than immobilising.

I have thought of reducing it to 9, which would be one screenful, but 10's a nice round number too :-)

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 8:16:04 PM PST
I still have books from when I first bought my K2 almost 4 years ago that I still haven't read! For a while I tried to read one from the bottom of the pile and one from the top, but soon gave up. Now I do what CBP does...I keep a "Currently Reading" collection and keep it to about 10 books. When it gets lower than 10, when I finish a book, I go to my archives and put one in. If it gets bigger than 10, I don't put any more in it until I finish some.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 8:17:09 PM PST
Tyger0902 says:
I has this problem last year but this year I joined the 12 x 12 challenge on Shelfari. Choose 12 categories and read 12 books in that category. Next year I'm going to read mostly books below 300 pages in my categories and see how far I get. This year I read several "chunksters" of 500+ pages so it slowed me down and I still have 14 books to finish by the end of the year. I've also slowed down last month and only read 7 books with long breaks inbetween 2 books which is unusual for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:56:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 8:57:29 PM PST
If you have a Fire, this won't work unless collections have been enabled? I don't recall.

I have mine in collections by genre, 4 pages, about 5 - 10 books each of the oldest.
Start at the bottom of page 4, first book in the collection.
It bumps the collection to the top of page one.
When finished, go back to the bottom of page 4, open the collection, repeat.

If I decide to read a series, I just grab the whole set and go.

I move them into 'finished' as I go as I keep them sorted on the hard drive and it allows me to move/delete them off the computer at the same as the Kindle.

It does make for an interesting line up if your genres and sub-genres aren't grouped.
(reference can be skipped unless you want to read the dictionary : ) )

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 9:06:02 PM PST
MamaSylvia says:
I'm reading alphabetically by month. This month is "S" so I moved all the "S" books that I felt like reading into my "Current" folder. When I finish or give up on the book I'm reading, I see what catches my eye next. Not scientific at all, but it works for me.

DH simply reads whatever comes up next on his KK. I have urged him to delete books once he has read them, but I don't know if he is. I haven't seen anything recently to send to his KK, but he's not a fast reader so he easily has a year or two's worth of books already on his KK.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 9:58:03 PM PST
Sue says:
I am a reader that reads what I am in the mood to read also. I sometimes read a book because I think I am interested in and then stop and start a different book.

The comment that was made that it is nice not to be stuck with a book your are reading because of time constraints. I like the option to come back to a book I started reading and start up from the place I left off.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:03:30 AM PST
Melisann says:
Thanks all, sorry if I started a repeat thread. I tried searching for this topic and didn't find anything so that's why I created a new one.

I really like the idea of a "read soon" collection...there are many freebies that I download and also some bestsellers or mainstream authors that I want to read but I seem to forget about the ones that sound really good and then don't go read them. I think I need to go through my kindle library and make that list and then make sure when I get new books to flag them as I get them.

I also agree with some others, its AWESOME to be able to drop a book and read something else if its not capturing my interest. I love that I am just a few clicks away from something else. Life is too short and there are too many good things to read to waste time on stuff you don't like

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:08:08 AM PST
Not at all. I got the idea about the A-Z from someone else; I wouldn't have thought of it. There's no harm in revisiting a topic! :0)

I have many, (many!) books in my TBR pile; sometimes even with a "system", I find it hard to not bump certain books up to the top. I finally broke down and bought the latest book in the Outlander series. Everything else is getting bumped down; that one's next, system or no system!

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 8:31:19 AM PST
MamaSylvia says:
I scrap my "system" in favor of something I really want to read RIGHT THEN whenever I feel like it. ;) I also play favorites with the books with this month's letter; I'm reading those in series I like FIRST, and then going to books that look particularly interesting. I won't get through even half of the S books this month, but I don't care; they will still be here when I get back to S books in a couple of years, and in the meantime, they aren't taking up any shelf space! They won't even be taking up room on my Kindle, I'll delete the ones I haven't read by the time the month is over.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 8:37:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 8:39:45 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
From the multiple thousands of unread books I own (Kindle and DTB), I make a detailed EXCEL sheet with plan-to-read dates (I use the rate of 200pages/day to estimate) and carefully track my progress both on that spreadsheet and Shelfari. I create that spread sheet (and associated automated reading goals on Shelfari) every December to use for the upcoming year. I do this EVERY year.

On or about January 10 of that next year, I completely forget all those plans and read whatever I want when I want.

Organization is fun. Discipline, less so.

Yours with no ability to keep on track,

DL

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 9:49:34 AM PST
Melisann says:
haha love it DL :)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 9:53:46 AM PST
metz1295 says:
i'm new to this world, so i'm curious to see if i become a victim of the large unread library. as for my "real" book library, i buy one at a time when i'm ready to read it. i hope this holds true in my kindle world.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 9:56:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 10:01:55 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
You are doomed. Too late to escape your fate. You will soon be weighted down by the knowledge that unread books are screaming for your attention. You'll toss and turn in your bed at night wondering when you became captive to a bunch of electrons.

You'll wake up the next morning and buy even more!

Yours, who has the same problem with DTBs as she does with K Books,

DL

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 10:00:39 AM PST
metz1295 says:
i will admit that i will be scouring the "free" books and downloading anything that looks remotely interesting. the library is growing already and my fire won't be here for another week.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:01:12 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
Forgot to say that while planning that yearly read schedule and while abandoning that schedule once started, I spend a lot of time of this forum bemoaning the fact that my TBR pile is too high (while scanning for free, discounted, "next-in-series", and just plain interesting-sounding titles.)

All fun to the side, this really can be (and probably is in my case) a kind of OCD, donchathink? I also blame Shelfari because I DO like having my virtual shelf all filled out and sparkling.

Oh WTH, I'll blame anyone and anything I can find ... except for myself, of course.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:07:46 AM PST
quilt lover says:
Luckily you will most likely find that you read faster in kindle format. Reasons for this is 1) Turning pages is a faster process, 2) holding the kindle is easier than holding a paper book, and my favorite, 3) The next book is right there at your fingertips when you need it.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 10:19:30 AM PST
Melisann says:
Can I ask a question (my apologies if this has already been asked somewhere else)...

Is there a way I can download a listing of my books from my "manage your kindle" page? It lets me sort and select but I wish I could download into something like an Excel file, etc.

(I think I already know the answer...no through Amazon. But yes through something like Calibre)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:22:39 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
You can go to Shelfari, import your Amazon purchases, organize on Shelfari and/or download a spreadsheet from Shelfari.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 10:26:04 AM PST
Melisann says:
Thanks Peachy!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Personal Documents Features
34 1 minute ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for PC Update 1.10.8
0 26 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 1st Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
453 2 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update Version 5.4.3
142 8 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: Seeing "Invalid Item" When Using Kindle for Android?
55 6 days ago
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
It's a Quirky Jungle Out There! With So Geese, Midnight Goats, Orange Loving Cows, Cat and Dog Overlords of the Universe, Velvet Monkeys Plus Cherie! 8313 1 minute ago
RAoK 76 - Spring has Sprung 4848 2 minutes ago
Low internal storage space on Kindle Fire 225 4 minutes ago
FB&C Wed-Fri Apr 16-18/2014 - FREE Books & Chat 178 4 minutes ago
How to change the amazon country ? 19 6 minutes ago
Help! Looking for a book with this subject matter 2 8 minutes ago
ARRAY(0x9af220b4)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  57
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions