Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now DOTD
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Perhaps I'm missing something...the Kindle 4G Lite service area

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2012 6:31:05 PM PST
George says:
If the Kindle Fire 4G is to work don't you have to be in an area that has Att 4G? I checked the US map for ATT 4G coverage and it's spotty at best unless you live in a city. Maybe I'm missing something?

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:38:13 PM PST
GnomeEd says:
If you want 4G...

Yes

No

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:40:18 PM PST
Yes, you would. No, I don't think you're missing anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:40:31 PM PST
G. HORSLEY - It's backwards compatible with 3G.

http://client0.cellmaps.com/viewer.html?cov=1

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:42:15 PM PST
GnomeEd says:
Yes, it will default to 3G...again, as long as you are in a 3G area. It's greater coverage but even 3G doesn't blanket the country.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:45:50 PM PST
And Edge.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 7:05:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 7:36:57 PM PST
George says:
I realize that the Kindle HD 4G is backwards compatible with 3G. I have the Kindle 3G and Kindle Fire. I guess I'm looking for opinions as to why you would spend the extra money for 4G when you can't really utilize it's potential. My Kindle 3G hasn't cost me a dime since I bought it (except all those pesky books I bought...lol). I really am interested in buying the new Kindle Fire HD 8.9 screen. I read that after the first year you would have to pay a monthly fee for the 4G, which blows my mind when there is no 4G in Western Kentucky except for Verizon. I think Amazon should have made it possbile to have different carriers. Verizon is slowly working its way into Western Kentucky with 4G, we should have it in the next year or so.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:08:02 PM PST
George says:
Thanks for the map link

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:13:08 PM PST
Sarida says:
You got it. I live on the "edge" with AT&T, and I'd be happy with 3G if I could get it!

The device will still work on 3G or the "edge" like me, it just will not be as fast.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Nov 12, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions